Maryna Moroz had 6% accuracy in significant strikes last night

Was one of the worst fights I've seen in a while, regardless of gender.

Big part of that was down to Taylor not engaging though. Obviously it's difficult to get into range when you're giving up so much height and reach but just backpedaling the entire fight and not throwing anything when you need a finish is pretty poor.

Moroz accuracy % was pretty pathetic and she's a lot better fighter than that but yeah, even if your opponent is not committing you should be landing more than that, just a combo of lazy jabs/straights and Taylor staying so far out of range that they were never going to land.

Just an awful fight that I assume both want to put behind them. Hopefully they both rewatch the fight in training for their next scrap and put on a much better performance, shouldn't be too difficult.

People using it to hate on WMMA is a bit ridiculous though. You get did fights in any division, on the whole WMMA is obviously at a lesser standard than men's MMA but at the same time there's been plenty of good women's fights too, so yeah.

People shouldn't be letting Moroz off the hook for how horrible the fight was. She had a huge reach advantage, and with that had the ability to take risks, since there was so much space in which she'd be able to hit Taylor and not get hit back. It was her responsibility to cut her opponent off and stop her running away. Her reach advantage would have helped tremendously in doing that. But she chose to sit back and win via technicality.

Taylor also did the worst thing possible by backing up up the whole fight. If she wanted to win, she had no choice but to try and close the distance. Her gameplan should have been to try and get inside, whether that was to land strikes or get takedowns. But she wasn't there to win. She was happy just to be there. And Moroz was happy letting her be happy. Thus, no fight was fought.

I think that she got lucky against what was a ghost of Jojo. That win shot her up the rankings and actually put her in position to get a title shot. From that point on (or maybe more specifically: since the knockdown suffered vs Val) she has looked spooked, afraid of losing her spot in the rankings.

She isn't a great fighter and this is pretty obvious now. She is dangerous off her back but her boxing has been way, way overrated, all based on her landing 2-3 shots vs Calderwood in that quick opening blitz.

21H113O.gif

Up until that point Moroz fought more aggressively during her offensive attacks, so I think you may be right .. she seems to have lost her confidence.

I've tried to defend/get into WMMA but damn, last night made it hard to be a fan. Moroz is supposedly top 10 in what is considered the much better female division (115 vs 135) and this is what we got ? (very weird fight, not a good way to start the main card).

Realize that this is nothing more than parrot talk that you and many others fell for lol.

Terrible fight but if the other person is bouncing away the whole fight what can you do.

I think Herb issued about 17 engage warnings to Taylor.

Kick them. Moroz was having some success when she kicked Taylor but she didn't throw nearly enough of them. There were so many times when she could've easy caught Taylor circling into a kick and then stepped in to follow up with punches, but she just kept throwing the same 1-2 way short for the entire fight.

I said ages ago that Moroz has issues with her striking, but it seems like they've gotten even worse since then. This last fight was just painful to watch, and hopefully I'll soon be able to forget about it completely like I have with Mir vs. Cro Cop.

Kick them. Moroz was having some success when she kicked Taylor but she didn't throw nearly enough of them. There were so many times when she could've easy caught Taylor circling into a kick and then stepped in to follow up with punches, but she just kept throwing the same 1-2 way short for the entire fight.

I said ages ago that Moroz has issues with her striking, but it seems like they've gotten even worse since then. This last fight was just painful to watch, and hopefully I'll soon be able to forget about it completely like I have with Mir vs. Cro Cop.
I was gonna disagree about Moroz on not throwing enough kicks, I think she tried. Although I always enjoy reading your insights and technical analysis, not sure this fight is worth revisiting anymore.

She trains with Matt Riddle

7.gif

She has perfected it
I've said it before, but I was so afraid the judges were going to score that fight for Riddle because of his "aggression."

Highly doubt she landed 17 strikes
i think thats very very generous, they had to have counted some grazes and touches....i cant even really recall her making contact with her 17 times, so touches is even being generous

It was one of the most embarassing performances I've ever seen in MMA, tbh.

Back