News Mark Madsen signs with the UFC.

He has only been doing MMA full-time for two years, so getting to the UFC already is major.

He did dabble a bit with striking and had some MMA-fights in 2013-2014, but once he got a sponsorship for the 2016 Olympics, his contract forbade him to/put severe limits on how he could practice MMA, so basically he is two years into his career. He has a great personality, works hard (he organised whole MMA-shows, rented the arena and everything, just to have somewhere to fight), but he is 34 years old, doesn't hit hard and he is a bit of a blanket.

I think he has a very high ceiling, just because his wrestling-base is so damn good, but he could also end up as a 50/50-fighter on the prelims. I do respect the hell out of him for giving it a try and making it to the UFC effectively two years into his MMA-career.
I was just about to ask what’s the deal with this guy but you pretty much summed it up thanks sherbro.

Thanks for clarifying that statement. Legit curious; did you invent those tiers or is this is a commonly known phrase in the English-speaking wrestling-community?

I mean in terms of transition to mma but generally speaking in the US those are also order of popularity and dedication. Greco is quite boring and imo will never ever be significant in the US. Freestyle they have been continually tweaking to make more exciting with more scoring

Folkstyle allows for the most in the rules I think. Honestly I kind of struggle to remember the differences between folk and free. Greco only allows upper body throws, so you know no double or single leg attacks and such. I also don’t think they fight to pin each other, but I might be wrong about that.

Folkstyle is easiest to transition to mma from. Freestyle is really similar. Greco leaves out a lot of great tools to have for an mma fighter

In folk you need to maintain back exposure to score points along with takedowns and escapes/reversals

Freestyle you score by simply exposing the back to the mat along with takedowns and push outs. Freestyle has really no emphasis on control at any point whereas folkstyle is all about control after takedowns and holding exposure which is why someone like gsp who has more of a folkstyle mma style is better than say Romero blast through you but never really maintain control

Should be interesting.

the fight is at 155lb BTW
not 170lb

He may be old, but he is also in great shape. That said he has gassed a bit in latest fights, but I think that's more about pacing. He set a record for his weightclass in 2, almost 3 out of 5 physical tests. Speed squat, drop jump, and almost landmine throw. I don't know how many have been tested, just saw him post it on his fb but he is explosive and very fit..

Last edited:
What is it with WW always being so wrestle-heavy? Think about all of the guys over the years who either had a heavy wrestle-first strategy or who otherwise had a strong wrestling background they could rely on to get the fight where they wanted:

Hughes, Trigg, GSP, Koscheck, Fitch, Hendricks, Shields, Woodley, Usman, Colby, Askren.

Can even throw in guys like Story and Ellenberger. Or other takedown artists like Maia, Akiyama, and Lombard.

WW is a grappler's division.

He has only been doing MMA full-time for two years, so getting to the UFC already is major.

He did dabble a bit with striking and had some MMA-fights in 2013-2014, but once he got a sponsorship for the 2016 Olympics, his contract forbade him to/put severe limits on how he could practice MMA, so basically he is two years into his career. He has a great personality, works hard (he organised whole MMA-shows, rented the arena and everything, just to have somewhere to fight), but he is 34 years old, doesn't hit hard and he is a bit of a blanket.

I think he has a very high ceiling, just because his wrestling-base is so damn good, but he could also end up as a 50/50-fighter on the prelims. I do respect the hell out of him for giving it a try and making it to the UFC effectively two years into his MMA-career.
I saw one of his fights on the cage warriors card. The guys legit. His striking isn’t terrible. It will need to improve to stand with top 15 guys, but his cardio stood out to me a lot for someone so muscular. High motor, and very high activity level.

Should be an entertaining wrestler

What is it with WW always being so wrestle-heavy? Think about all of the guys over the years who either had a heavy wrestle-first strategy or who otherwise had a strong wrestling background they could rely on to get the fight where they wanted:

Hughes, Trigg, GSP, Koscheck, Fitch, Hendricks, Shields, Woodley, Usman, Colby, Askren.

Can even throw in guys like Story and Ellenberger. Or other takedown artists like Maia, Akiyama, and Lombard.

WW is a grappler's division.

fight is at 155

Seriously thought this would be about the goofy white guy that used to play for the Lakers.
Same. I was so excited and confused to see why some softie from Stanford was gonna get wrecked in the UFC for some desperate crossover marketing scheme.

Back