News Mark Hunt vs Sonny Bill Williams Nov.5th

rugby athlete who was a heavy favourite coming into this fight

<Huh2>

The rugby player was a heavy favorite over the former champion kickboxer in a boxing match? Were they expecting Hunt to just show up and collect a paycheck?

Eh, you're mostly right but 'clueless' is being a bit dramatic. He smashed 5 cans before getting flatlined himself by a fellow nobody can crusher that was way bigger than him.

Clearly he was just a slugger that was way too hittable and wouldn't amount to much in boxing but we didn't see enough to dismiss him completely as a potential journeyman-level brawler if he stuck around.

Worse K1 boxers than Sefo had relatively successful boxing gatekeeper/journeymen careers.

"Clueless" might sound disrespectful, wasn't meant that way as Sefo and Hunt were like childhood heroes for me.

But it echoes that feeling of disappointment from when I saw Ray losing his balance from swinging and having absolutely nothing for a guy that could box in the proper way.

And if Hunt wouldn't have become a contender boxer, he probably would get less money and fame than he did in K1/MMA so I say he chose the right path.
Very true, he made a ton of money in Japan.

I read the title, thought SBW might be "super bantamweight" and eagerly clicked on this thread.

Nice to see Hunt flatline a dude, even if it was someone much, much larger than a child.

I was so happy reading the result this morning. Leading up to it, I didn't think Hunt was taking the fight very serious. I know he dropped some weight, but his whole demeaner seemed very chummy and "coming to collect a paycheck"ish

I wish Hunt all the best in retirement. One of the most iconic fighters in MMA history.

I was so happy reading the result this morning. Leading up to it, I didn't think Hunt was taking the fight very serious. I know he dropped some weight, but his whole demeaner seemed very chummy and "coming to collect a paycheck"ish

I wish Hunt all the best in retirement. One of the most iconic fighters in MMA history.
Nice words, Dick.

He was making like 700k per fight for most of his UFC career. If he is not a multimillionaire he should only blame himself.
Samuel Peter was making like 2-3 mil a fighter 15 years ago to be the same tier of boxer.

fuck yeah Mark Hunt, still doin it at almost 50. WAR HUNTO!

The other guy didn't seem to know how to throw punches.

Still glad for Hunt.

Samuel Peter was making like 2-3 mil a fighter 15 years ago to be the same tier of boxer.
Yeah.. but Hunt fought for world titles in MMA. I don't think he would have had the same level of success in boxing.

In fact he had 2 professional boxing fights against nobodies between 1998 and 2000 and his record was 0-1-1

<Huh2>

The rugby player was a heavy favorite over the former champion kickboxer in a boxing match? Were they expecting Hunt to just show up and collect a paycheck?

Sonny Bill Williams was an elite athlete who has been boxing on and off for 13 years and has more pro boxing bouts than Hunt. There was absolutely nothing strange in the slightest that he was the betting favorite over a 48-year-old obese man.

Yeah.. but Hunt fought for world titles in MMA. I don't think he would have had the same level of success in boxing.

In fact he had 2 professional boxing fights against nobodies between 1998 and 2000 and his record was 0-1-1
My point is that Hunt and UFC fighters are underpaid.

When is this? I don't even see a way to stream. I mean...watch.

Those rugby guys are tough as hell. Paul Gallen, who actually beat Hunt, is another who just takes shots to give them and somehow stays on his feet. He recently fought two guys in the same night, got rocked bad in the first fight but managed to win both of them. I figured SBW would fight Gallen next but who knows after this. Aw what am I saying , this outcome doesn't change anything in the boxing-rugby crossover world.

Back