Marcelo Garcia DESTROYS Everyone in ATT!

Cameron Earle beat him at budochallenge a couple of year ago.

Cameron Earle beat him at budochallenge a couple of year ago.

True, and I also heard that Cameron beat him when they were both brown belts. Marcelo got his revenge though, tapping Cameron at the first Sub X event.

we all know he's good at bjj but i wanna know how hes doing in mma

^^ Nice Video with Drysdale.

I just checked Marcelo's record and he has three grappling loses:

Drysdale = 99KG
Jacare = 84KG
Marcio Cruz = 105KG

Marcelo Garcia competes in the 66-76KG division.

And he

Diego Sanchez had close grappling war with him, anyone got video.

Diego is amazing grappler.

? Marcelo had a relevant amount on points on Diego, and submitted him in the end. Nothing "close" there

i've always wanted to see marcello and monson roll

who cares if he got beat a few years ago, that is like comparing yourself to 3 years ago. right now he has to be in the top 3 of greatest living grapplers

^^ Nice Video with Drysdale.

I just checked Marcelo's record and he has three grappling loses:

Drysdale = 99KG
Jacare = 84KG
Marcio Cruz = 105KG

Marcelo Garcia competes in the 66-76KG division.

Holy crap, Drysdale has at least 20KGs on him? No shame in losing to him or the other guys, who outweigh by at least the same amount and are "world class" as Rogan would say.. That's quite a challenge for Marcello to undertake.

Not to take anything from Drysdale, he executed a great plan versus possibly the best grappler in the world. Plus, he is no slouch himself when it comes to grappling.

I've grappled guys who outweigh me by about 20kg, and were at least my level if not better. There are some positions where due to the size & weight difference, you're just screwed.

Garcia's great. One of the elite grapplers, for sure.

It would be awesome to get a chance to roll with him. All 10 seconds of it.

I've got to roll with him a few times. It really is an amazing experience.

I would like to say though that although he is the best grappler around, I think his MMA career will be thwarted by his incredible grappling talent.

I've got to roll with him a few times. It really is an amazing experience.

I would like to say though that although he is the best grappler around, I think his MMA career will be thwarted by his incredible grappling talent.

How so?

In my humble and very uneducated opinion, Marcelo does not seem to have any urgency of position when on the ground, he is far too comfortable. In MMA being on the ground is bad/not great in a majority of positions that would be advantageous/not dangerous in straight grappling, i.e. bottom of half guard, bottom open guard, top full guard etc.

He will have to adapt his game to the fact that punches and elbows are coming in all these "neutral" grappling positions, and that they are no longer neutral. I have seen a few people take marcelo's back (which just does not happen EVER in a grappling match) when sparring with strikes. Maybe he will be able to adapt as he is a phenomenal athlete and incredibly hard worker, but I think that he will have limited success in MMA until he can gain that urgency that is needed when on the ground.

Good points. I didn't think of it like that at all but then I'm just a fan and all too infrequent practitioner. Thanks for the insight.

If you read the introduction to Marcelo's new book I think you will see this guy is all about adapting and overcoming.

marcelo beat in 2 minutes

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbyF02ZoQyg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbyF02ZoQyg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Same thing happened to him against Jacare. Does that mean he's not the best because he's not afraid to lose? He got caught, simple as that. No one is better than Marcelo Garcia pound for pound. You guys also have to remember that Garcia was not talented nor did he have the athleticism when he first started BJJ.

Diego Sanchez had close grappling war with him, anyone got video.

Diego is amazing grappler.

Diego survived until the end, but it was not a close match. Garcia was still scoring while Diego did not.

In my humble and very uneducated opinion, Marcelo does not seem to have any urgency of position when on the ground, he is far too comfortable. In MMA being on the ground is bad/not great in a majority of positions that would be advantageous/not dangerous in straight grappling, i.e. bottom of half guard, bottom open guard, top full guard etc.

He will have to adapt his game to the fact that punches and elbows are coming in all these "neutral" grappling positions, and that they are no longer neutral. I have seen a few people take marcelo's back (which just does not happen EVER in a grappling match) when sparring with strikes. Maybe he will be able to adapt as he is a phenomenal athlete and incredibly hard worker, but I think that he will have limited success in MMA until he can gain that urgency that is needed when on the ground.

Absolutely, I have seen black belt BJJ guys get their backs taken by blue belts all the time in MMA sparring sessions. That's why Marcelo Garcia is currently training in ATT. He needs to train in MMA to be good in MMA.

Back