marcelo credited as the one to come up with seat belt control from the back?

Obviously BJJ evolves... There are guys doing techniques in Judo that didn't weren't being done in 1990. And there would be a lot more if the IJFs goal wasn't to stop innovation.

He is the old school Gracie I dislike the most. In terms of new gracies I consider ryron and rener the most despicable.
i do hate the rgacie academy fucks tbh they are annoying and act like school boys in their late 30s still lol wtf

the misconception is all the gracies have the same game renzos game is dif from relsons ect lots of gracies have amazing details on techniques most purples browns think they have good fundamentals and dont have anything else to learn about basics but most cant hold someone down in side mount or the back for 2 minutes straight of the same size and belt level without having to transition to something else

how the fuck does someone hate old Bjj and does Bjj?
basically purples and new browns especially from countries that bjj isnt big at all and they dont have exposure to good coaches try to act cool like fundamentals are lame and dont work when i was coaching in ireland in 2012 as a brown their was a white belt who would try to correct things id do saying "no marcelo does it like this!!" ect when he couldnt even submit blue belts ect lol i feel that it has flip flopped back in older days older guys were insecure about newer technique and tried to say that butterfly ect was garbage

nowadays newer guys have horrible fundamentals and to justify it and make themselves feel better they try to shit on old school bjj lol. thats like saying boxing fundamentals suck that the jab is dead basically

basically purples and new browns especially from countries that bjj isnt big at all and they dont have exposure to good coaches try to act cool like fundamentals are lame and dont work when i was coaching in ireland in 2012 as a brown their was a white belt who would try to correct things id do saying "no marcelo does it like this!!" ect when he couldnt even submit blue belts ect lol i feel that it has flip flopped back in older days older guys were insecure about newer technique and tried to say that butterfly ect was garbage

nowadays newer guys have horrible fundamentals and to justify it and make themselves feel better they try to shit on old school bjj lol. thats like saying boxing fundamentals suck that the jab is dead
In the old school way of teaching bjj by showing random techniques of the day there wasn't even a big emphasis on developing solid controls. I don't dislike fundamentals, just their crap execution by old school guys.

In the old school way of teaching bjj by showing random techniques of the day there wasn't even a big emphasis on developing solid controls. I don't dislike fundamentals, just their crap execution by old school guys.

Agree with this.I've taken a lot of old school bjj classes from old school bjj guys. Three random submissions per day were the norm. Most old school guys were not teaching like Roger or Saulo.

In a per class basis, new school guys have taught me far more useful fundamentals

If there’s something that good old Bjj practitioners are good at is pressure and control, don’t know who you’ve trained with, but what you are saying is borderline moronic

the whole Carlson Gracie approach was based on pressure and control... you think Mario sperry wasn’t good at controlling people? Ricardo arona is the definition of control, and he is instructor was Mario sperry

now the teaching methology wasn’t as good as today, nor estructured as it is today, in some gyms... that we can agree on...

Last edited:
If there’s something that good old Bjj practitioners are good at is pressure and control, don’t know who you’ve trained with, but what you are saying is borderline moronic

the whole Carlson Gracie approach was based on pressure and control... you think Mario sperry wasn’t good at controlling people? Ricardo arona is the definition of control, and he is instructor was Mario sperry

now the teaching methology wasn’t as good as today, nor estructured as it is today, in some gyms... that we can agree on...

Sure the legends are good but they where legends because they where gods among their rank and file old school opponents. I started under manchild pothead who won a silver at black belts decades ago and I had to learn everything from DVDs, and everything I remember that piece of shit showing me Roger Gracie teaches is outdated shit.

Sure the legends are good but they where legends because they where gods among their rank and file old school opponents. I started under manchild pothead who won a silver at black belts decades ago and I had to learn everything from DVDs, and everything I remember that piece of shit showing me Roger Gracie teaches is outdated shit.

so your problem with guys from the old generation is due to having a bad teacher? Seriously? You make huge statements, so far as to dismiss rickson skills (which of course are overblown) because a silver medalist of some ancient year sucked? You don’t even know if it’s true that s a silver medalist or he’s making shit up...

If you were not watching dvds snd you Come up 10-15 years ago, then you were just not making the best of your training. You know who was also watching dvds and probable forged his game due to dvds? Keenan, also Jt Torres... (there’s an interview with Keenan back from Lloyd’s time where he talked about his training there, where he said that mostly consist on get a drill partner, which was jt, and drill YouTube moves, with Lloyd overlooking) yeah you were not the only one doing it..

so your problem with guys from the old generation is due to having a bad teacher? Seriously? You make huge statements, so far as to dismiss rickson skills (which of course are overblown) because a silver medalist of some ancient year sucked? You don’t even know if it’s true that s a silver medalist or he’s making shit up...

If you were not watching dvds snd you Come up 10-15 years ago, then you were just not making the best of your training. You know who was also watching dvds and probable forged his game due to dvds? Keenan, also Jt Torres... (there’s an interview with Keenan back from Lloyd’s time where he talked about his training there, where he said that mostly consist on get a drill partner, which was jt, and drill YouTube moves, with Lloyd overlooking) yeah you were not the only one doing it..

He is a silver medalist, I checked it up on the IBJJF website :)
I have watched super old matches, and I see the kind of stuff they teach on youtube.
Also a lot of people I know teach and use things in obsolete ways.

He is a silver medalist, I checked it up on the IBJJF website :)
I have watched super old matches, and I see the kind of stuff they teach on youtube.
Also a lot of people I know teach and use things in obsolete ways.

bottom line, was your opinion going to be any different if you had Mario sparry or Murilo Bustamante as an instructor? Hell let’s go even further back and say Carlson Gracie...

bottom line, was your opinion going to be any different if you had Mario sparry or Murilo Bustamante as an instructor? Hell let’s go even further back and say Carlson Gracie...

I don't all the old timers suck hard but I have zero respect for coaches that refuse to go with the times, newer update what they are teaching and complain about the modern superior stuff.
I have met Carlson Gracie Jr and he is some fat slob. Friends also took him to a brothel after a seminar :(

I have met Carlson Gracie Jr and he is some fat slob. Friends also took him to a brothel after a seminar :(

Dont know who that is, s certainly not The Carlson Gracie I’m talking about, and has nothing to do with the question I asked you, which you just ignored...

Dont know who that is, s certainly not The Carlson Gracie I’m talking about, and has nothing to do with the question I asked you, which you just ignored...

If I had started training under Mario Sperry I assume my opinion of old jiu jitsu would be higher.

If I had started training under Mario Sperry I assume my opinion of old jiu jitsu would be higher.

thank you, I rest my case, bottom line is not so much about old Bjj, it’s about who your instructor was. Pretty simple.

i do hate the rgacie academy fucks tbh they are annoying and act like school boys in their late 30s still lol wtf

the misconception is all the gracies have the same game renzos game is dif from relsons ect lots of gracies have amazing details on techniques most purples browns think they have good fundamentals and dont have anything else to learn about basics but most cant hold someone down in side mount or the back for 2 minutes straight of the same size and belt level without having to transition to something else

Speaking of basics do you remember Relson's seven sweep series? Shit was legit

I seem to recall 'The Harness' (the seatbelt) being shown by Matt Thornton on his early Functional JKD sets. That would have been early 00's right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back