marcelo credited as the one to come up with seat belt control from the back?

against guys wth good open guards i find it quite tedious to pass on knees today dealign with knee shields ect unless i an get to half with head arm control and jake shields my way through

other than that i prefer to stand

you are an ibjjf gi guy though, things change when you take out the gi and roll with hh

the problem with online is people today especially on here seem to not respect their instructor.

its weird like they dont care what eh has to say and will always say "well danaher or keenan is better so im taking his advice and game" i dont think theirs anything wrong with online but its weird how narcissistic people are in that youll get blue and purple belts going online watch a famous guys dvd and now think they are better than other black belts and their own coach cause they now know something that a top guy does that their coach doesnt lol.
In my opinion, it’s the coach’s job to stay updated with the latest developments in BJJ though. If he doesn’t, he’s not doing his students any favours and in fact selling them short. Based on my own experiences, If my coach is teaching BJJ for a living, i would expect him to not be more ignorant than his students. Not everyone can play the coach’s game, and if he’s not tailoring his service accordingly, I would say he’s doing the bare minimum. He could do that and get by, but he shouldn’t expect his students to be overly appreciative of him. In short, laziness doesn’t deserve blind “respect” and a coach really shouldn’t be letting his students be learning more than he is.

Last edited:
the problem with online is people today especially on here seem to not respect their instructor.

its weird like they dont care what eh has to say and will always say "well danaher or keenan is better so im taking his advice and game" i dont think theirs anything wrong with online but its weird how narcissistic people are in that youll get blue and purple belts going online watch a famous guys dvd and now think they are better than other black belts and their own coach cause they now know something that a top guy does that their coach doesnt lol.

well, yes this happens a lot, instructor shows one technique, the student (a white belt) has seen this shown by Rafa in his site, Rafa shows much more details, so the student starts loosing respect for the instructor. What this white belt doesn’t know is that he just doesn’t need the level of details shown by Rafa right now, the concept of the move and the mechanics of it is much more important, when to use it and when not.

well, yes this happens a lot, instructor shows one technique, the student (a white belt) has seen this shown by Rafa in his site, Rafa shows much more details, so the student starts loosing respect for the instructor. What this white belt doesn’t know is that he just doesn’t need the level of details shown by Rafa right now, the concept of the move and the mechanics of it is much more important, when to use it and when not.
i always as a white blue purple wanted t do fancy cool stuff but id never think down on someone above my rank 1 belt level ok but a blue or white thinking they are to good for a black belt to coach them is pathetic tbh people have a very negative attitude towards where they train and team it seems online i really hope its just scummy people online and not how everyone truly thinks

He did. Prior to Marcelo, seatbelt control wasn't really focused on. Back control revolved more around hook maintenance. Marcelo also added X guard to BJJ and popularized Butterfly guard.

He did. Prior to Marcelo, seatbelt control wasn't really focused on. Back control revolved more around hook maintenance. Marcelo also added X guard to BJJ and popularized Butterfly guard.
wrong about butterfly lots top guys were doing it since 90s leo santos made it super popular tbh marcelo garcia started sweeping off head control and elbow control tho

Back