marcelo credited as the one to come up with seat belt control from the back?

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
sorry for long title lol anyways bravo tries to say that before 2003 nobody no gi did seat belt control when they would get the back and even in gi most guys liked to grab double underhooks onto the lapels

i say thats bs cause one of relsons bbs who was a purple/brown back around 2005 2006 i trained with for years use to dos eat belt control when he got the back i find it really difficult to think nobody thought to do a basic seat belt grip on the back especially from experienced guys cause tbh without it their isnt really any real way to hold them to you to be chest to back

Marcelo didn't invent it, but he's the one who popularized it and showed it worked at the highest levels.

Marcelo didn't invent it, but he's the one who popularized it and showed it worked at the highest levels.
how lol everyone took the back and used back control what did he specifically do i was around during that time and find it strange that they try to claim nobody was doing it sure he was subbing more guys but i dont think it had t necessarily do with his control rather his talent

sorry for long title lol anyways bravo tries to say that before 2003 nobody no gi did seat belt control when they would get the back and even in gi most guys liked to grab double underhooks onto the lapels

i say thats bs cause one of relsons bbs who was a purple/brown back around 2005 2006 i trained with for years use to dos eat belt control when he got the back i find it really difficult to think nobody thought to do a basic seat belt grip on the back especially from experienced guys cause tbh without it their isnt really any real way to hold them to you to be chest to back

It's pretty much true. Look at all instructionals before 2004. Back control never revolved around the seatbelt grip. They focused on getting the hooks and than you could use the arms for whatever you wanted. Usually double unders with both hands on the opponents wrists or something. No one really addressed what the hands should be doing. Than Marcelo Gracie does his ADCC highlight real where he knocks out Shaolin Ribeiro and Renzo Gracie and people start really following that blue print. A year later a non-famous John Danaher starts talking about how the seatbelt grip is one of the most overlooked aspects of back control.

After that all the instructionals coming out start treating seatbelt like the end goal for back control and here we are.

Personally I think seatbelt is awesome, and fundamental but it overshadows a lot of other great hand/arm positioning options. It's not the be all end all.

It's pretty much true. Look at all instructionals before 2004. Back control never revolved around the seatbelt grip. They focused on getting the hooks and than you could use the arms for whatever you wanted. Usually double unders with both hands on the opponents wrists or something. No one really addressed what the hands should be doing. Than Marcelo Gracie does his ADCC highlight real where he knocks out Shaolin Ribeiro and Renzo Gracie and people start really following that blue print. A year later a non-famous John Danaher starts talking about how the seatbelt grip is one of the most overlooked aspects of back control.

After that all the instructionals coming out start treating seatbelt like the end goal for back control and here we are.

Personally I think seatbelt is awesome, and fundamental but it overshadows a lot of other great hand/arm positioning options. It's not the be all end all.

guess i was lucky cause we were doing it naturally under relsons affiliates i admit we wernt super technical with the back just holding back position trying to fight for the rnc or armlock off the back

i dont think its the end all either but a good starting part i prefer my under arm to wrist trap and pin to their stomach i did that since blue belt naturally

also where did u find john talking about seatbelt control in 2004?

I'd say Bravo is pretty much correct about this. I'm sure people did it before him, but almost everyone would say use double unders or overs and although the seat belt position happened it was only an afterthought. Marcello is the person that got everyone to change and use it as "THE" back position.

I'd say Bravo is pretty much correct about this. I'm sure people did it before him, but almost everyone would say use double unders or overs and although the seat belt position happened it was only an afterthought. Marcello is the person that got everyone to change and use it as "THE" back position.
so weird no gi that top guys then wernt using it wtf i mean theirs only so many grips on the back u could do anyhow

funny how judo guys try t pretend grapplings exactly the same as it ever was then cause they def wernt doing it if bjj guys wernt

so weird no gi that top guys then wernt using it wtf i mean theirs only so many grips on the back u could do anyhow

funny how judo guys try t pretend grapplings exactly the same as it ever was then cause they def wernt doing it if bjj guys wernt

Judo guys back in the day had better ground work then the old school Gracies. Remember judo guys where athletes when the Gracies where street fighting morons.
Remember how Yoshida dominated Royce Gracie at BJJ in their gi mma fight?

In old school gi bjj the double under collar grip was the standard. That naturally came over to no gi. The double under collar grip from the back gives you more stability.

Marcelo was the first one to really show how to use the seatbelt at the highest lvl.

What everyone said, pretty damn sure there were people doing it back t when Marcelo was doing it, but he was the one making it popular and putting the first back attack system out of the seatbelt... double unders back control were the standard, funny enough, this past adcc there were a lot of competitors opting for the double unders over seat belt control... it just shows how grappling goes on circles...

Marcelo, LOL, give me a break.

We know who invented it.

The back attack Master

hqdefault.jpg

how lol everyone took the back and used back control what did he specifically do i was around during that time and find it strange that they try to claim nobody was doing it sure he was subbing more guys but i dont think it had t necessarily do with his control rather his talent

How hard is it to wrap your head around the fact that some people influence the meta game more than others? Marcelo popularized back takes, 1LX and a few others. DDS popularized leglocks. Bravo popularized getting high and doing weird shit that white belts love. It's not like the stuff they do didn't exist before (even if sometimes it actually didn't), it's just that they showed it worked and a lot of people caught on to it.

Marcelo was one of the first guys with a coherent back system who could wreck people with it, so it became popular, that's just it.

lo
How hard is it to wrap your head around the fact that some people influence the meta game more than others? Marcelo popularized back takes, 1LX and a few others. DDS popularized leglocks. Bravo popularized getting high and doing weird shit that white belts love. It's not like the stuff they do didn't exist before (even if sometimes it actually didn't), it's just that they showed it worked and a lot of people caught on to it.

Marcelo was one of the first guys with a coherent back system who could wreck people with it, so it became popular, that's just it.[/QUOTE

lol

Judo guys back in the day had better ground work then the old school Gracies. Remember judo guys where athletes when the Gracies where street fighting morons.
Remember how Yoshida dominated Royce Gracie at BJJ in their gi mma fight?
shows u dont know much about the gracies lol royce is by far known as one of the weakest ones most people even say around 2007 2008 royce was competitive with most purple belts so it isnt hard for me to believe that royce lost to a champion judo fighter who had over 30 pounds on him

shows u dont know much about the gracies lol royce is by far known as one of the weakest ones most people even say around 2007 2008 royce was competitive with most purple belts so it isnt hard for me to believe that royce lost to a champion judo fighter who had over 30 pounds on him

Royce was the Gracie champion in the UFC. Yoshida had better BJJ than him.

yoshida absolutely had not better bjj than royce, because yoshida never did bjj.... his ground game was respectable, but you cant deny the fact that they were grappling in the gi, and yoshida had 30 pounds on him. For a very traditional game as royce, that was too much. Although, when the actually fought, royce tooled him.

because they wanted the weakest of them to compete no anyone who looked imposing ect royces coach was relson who im under and told me many stories what bjj tourneys did royce ever win

yoshida absolutely had not better bjj than royce, because yoshida never did bjj.... his ground game was respectable, but you cant deny the fact that they were grappling in the gi, and yoshida had 30 pounds on him. For a very traditional game as royce, that was too much. Although, when the actually fought, royce tooled him.
he obviously just hates anyone named gracie anyone who could say that obviously shows their lack of knowledge of jj history

Back