Manhatten Training?

Holy cow, 200?! Wow, that IS very steep.

Welcome to Manhattan! Rent is ultra expensive! Gym owners have to charge alot just to keep the doors open. Its either that or open a gym out in the boonies where rent would allow $60/month fees.

Holy cow, 200?! Wow, that IS very steep.

I go there, but $200 gets you full access and unlimited use of gym and classess.

In regards to above questions. 5PM classess are one ofthe least crowded, because people are still getting off of work. The least crowded classess are 8AM, 9AM sparring on Saturday(but that depends on upcoming competion events), and 5PM.

Pluss $200 will get you access to the new facility in Brooklyn which will be larger, but I would check on that.

In terms of Muay Thai event in Fighthouse, 2 of the three fighters we sent won their bouts. One of them as gone on to be 5-0 amature- Gais is a tremendous athlete.

As for the Wat, I can say alot of good things about them, but personally they need a bigger place. That was my personal lynch pin in my decision to go to 5Points.

$200 is about right for NYC unfortunately

Ronins has a Wrestling/Takedowns class on Fridays everything else is the same

I went to Ronins and it wasn't as steep as that. But hell, I'm willing to pay so long as its a good place. I'm cutting my choices down to Ronins, five points and fighthouse (Still dont know the pricing in fighthouse though). Any news on the status of the Williamsburg 5points?

Dang, if only they sparred more at Ronin's, then that'd be my first choice. Still checking out 5points and Fighthouse though.

Update:

Finally went to try out a class at 5points. I wanted to start new since I wasn't in an official Muay Thai school before (It was MMA); another person was new to the sport as well and we were pulled aside for a special "one on one" session. I didn't want to keep any bad habits, so I might as well wipe the slate clean and be treated as a newbie at the sport. It felt very welcoming, though I admit I was a bit intimidated at first. Now, the facility looks really nice, with lotsa' fitness equipment, showers, bags, gear, rooms for yoga/etc and a ring. The training was simple yet effective, with a lot of drills and lots of conditioning (which is the hardest part of the class). Anyways, I'm going to sign up this week for a year. Hopefully, I can compete in Am in a year or so :[.

I went to 5 points and found their class to be very short, I didn't get winded at all.

What I basically did is go around in circuit and work the thai pads, that was awesome.. but then you had to hold the pads for everyone else till they complete the circle.. seemed... retarded in terms of wasting my time.

Hmm, when did you go? Perhaps they changed, because I didn't see any form of circuit training.

Also, I don't think helping others to work the thai pads is a waste of time =\

Hmm, when did you go? Perhaps they changed, because I didn't see any form of circuit training.

Also, I don't think helping others to work the thai pads is a waste of time =\

About 3-4 weeks ago, well it is not when you do it in pairs for 3/2 minutes then switch.

Not when you hold it for 10 people to circuit around for 2 minutes (20 minutes of you standing there and holding pads or whatever) that's ridiculous man. You know what I'm saying?

The classes at 5points usually involve a round or 2 of shadowing boxing followed by 3 to 4 rounds of pads and then switching with your partner or technique drills. It ends with some conditioning excercises. All in all i think its a great workout.

Holding pads for a partner for a few rounds doesn't sound ridiculous to me. The benefits of pad holding aren't exclusive to the person striking. Besides, wouldn't it be a nightmare to switch pads every round?

The classes at 5points usually involve a round or 2 of shadowing boxing followed by 3 to 4 rounds of pads and then switching with your partner or technique drills. It ends with some conditioning excercises. All in all i think its a great workout.

Holding pads for a partner for a few rounds doesn't sound ridiculous to me. The benefits of pad holding aren't exclusive to the person striking. Besides, wouldn't it be a nightmare to switch pads every round?

Yes, that how the class went. I just think it's really unproductive for me to be holding thai pads for 10~ people for 2 minutes each or whatever.

I never take such long breaks between any exercise, nor do I think it's a good work out if you have to hold it for the whole circle during YOUR work out, I was completely fresh after the class.

Yes, that how the class went. I just think it's really unproductive for me to be holding thai pads for 10~ people for 2 minutes each or whatever.

I never take such long breaks between any exercise, nor do I think it's a good work out if you have to hold it for the whole circle during YOUR work out, I was completely fresh after the class.

Who was runnign it? kru Steve or Simon? Got to remember they change the set up to keep the it interesting. Besides in those large classes your going to get various experience levels. The circuit training phase is one example. But holding thai pads is simply used to help each other out.

If you want to "mvoe up" hang around for more classes, advance to the next level or ask one fo the Kru's if you can go straight to the level where your allowed sparring. Its been done before.

Plus you got to remeber, it sounds like your a little selfish. If you want training centered on you, pay up...simple.

Who was runnign it? kru Steve or Simon? Got to remember they change the set up to keep the it interesting. Besides in those large classes your going to get various experience levels. The circuit training phase is one example. But holding thai pads is simply used to help each other out.

If you want to "mvoe up" hang around for more classes, advance to the next level or ask one fo the Kru's if you can go straight to the level where your allowed sparring. Its been done before.

Plus you got to remeber, it sounds like your a little selfish. If you want training centered on you, pay up...simple.

Maybe I should have sticked around for another class, I'm just relaying my experience with their basic class.

I'm not being selfish in any way, I understand I need to help out people and hold mitts, it just amount of rest in between and how long I have to hold them was ridiculous IMHO.

Edit: I prefer partner up and do mitt work as I mentioned before, this avoids long periods of you standing around doing nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back