Manhatten Training?

jmarion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey i'm moving to Manhatten for the summer and i'm looking for a place to continue my training. I've done a google search but havent been happy with the reponses... if anyone could help out that would be great.

I'm looking for a place that trains muay thay and bjj. if they have MMA classes that would be a bonus but not a necessity.

Here are your chocies in Manhathan:

5points Fitness - expanding there presence by adding gym in Brooklyn. Kru Simon and kru Steve are excellent trainers, as well as Kru Emiyr.

The Wat- Just around the corner from 5points, a ncie little space with a lot of people. Kru Nurse is well known- hey this guy trains GSP.

Ultimate Muay Thai- 26th and 5th ave, the guy running trained under Kru nurse

Fighthouse- has Muay Thai
Church Street Boxing- has Muay Thai, limited to two days.

Punchfitness Center- relative new but good reviews from NY Times and other upper crust publications.

But check em all out, see where you feel best fits you. I go to 5points, its my second home.:icon_chee

do they also train BJJ at any of them or only muay?

5points is very traditional Muay Thai and it does offer grappling on Tuesday( gi judo) and Thursday(no gi BJJ). But not an emphasis.

Fighthouse has BJJ, dont think the other places I mentioned. But visit the web sites and check it out person once your in NYC.

Wat has affiliation with Renzo. His trainers teach MT classes at the Renzo academy three days a week. Not sure if you could get a discount going to both places, but I doubt it.

Yeah I was going to Ronins & will return hopefully next month. Alot of No-Gi & MT. A couple of Gi claseese a week & a takedown class on Fridays. Its also probably the least expensive in the city. Give Christian an email to set up a trial class

Yeah I was going to Ronins & will return hopefully next month. Alot of No-Gi & MT. A couple of Gi claseese a week & a takedown class on Fridays. Its also probably the least expensive in the city. Give Christian an email to set up a trial class

Thanks appreciate all the info

i'm only there for about 3 months... do they offer something for that, like monthly, or do they only offer year memberships?

Shoot Christian an email, he'll work something out, its monthly for me

Here are your chocies in Manhathan:

5points Fitness - expanding there presence by adding gym in Brooklyn. Kru Simon and kru Steve are excellent trainers, as well as Kru Emiyr.

The Wat- Just around the corner from 5points, a ncie little space with a lot of people. Kru Nurse is well known- hey this guy trains GSP.

Ultimate Muay Thai- 26th and 5th ave, the guy running trained under Kru nurse

Fighthouse- has Muay Thai
Church Street Boxing- has Muay Thai, limited to two days.

Punchfitness Center- relative new but good reviews from NY Times and other upper crust publications.

But check em all out, see where you feel best fits you. I go to 5points, its my second home.:icon_chee
Good info, but the head trainer at Ultimate did not train under Phil Nurse Kru Nestor is just as experienced as kru Nurse.

yea he did... he was with phil then they had some beef so he fought this other guy kamuti whose with phil too and kamuti apparently knocked nestor out....(the fight is on a video somewhere)

please correct me if i am wrong.

yea he did... he was phil's right hand man then they had some beef over phil and thailand or someshit... so he fought this other guy kamuti whose with phil too and kamuti apparently knocked nestor out....

please correct me if i am wrong but these are the facts i been told.....

Wow! Those are some details. gavin did not mention that. I always thought it was about money or something..i.e Alliance and studio x.

i dunno its before my time. i was probably like 13-15 when they fought
i cant say verify the whole thing but the fight did happen cause i saw it on video.

i dunno its before my time. i was probably like 13-15 when they fought
i cant say verify the whole thing but the fight did happen cause i saw it on video.

I am not saying Kamuti didn't fight or beat him what I am saying Nestor was never trained by Phil Nurse.

I used to train muay thai in LA with Kru Rex of Muay Thai Kickboxing Gym in Van Nuys and loved the way the training was setup. It was an open gym and I could walk in whenever I want during the day. I spent the first half hour doing road work and jump roping. Afterwards, I did some bodyweight exercises and shadowboxing. Next I did bag work while I waited to get in the ring with the trainer. For 3 rounds, I'd do some ringwork with the Kru. Finally, I'd end with stretches and ab work.

Is there a gym in NYC that is similar or are all of them class type gyms?

I used to train muay thai in LA with Kru Rex of Muay Thai Kickboxing Gym in Van Nuys and loved the way the training was setup. It was an open gym and I could walk in whenever I want during the day. I spent the first half hour doing road work and jump roping. Afterwards, I did some bodyweight exercises and shadowboxing. Next I did bag work while I waited to get in the ring with the trainer. For 3 rounds, I'd do some ringwork with the Kru. Finally, I'd end with stretches and ab work.

Is there a gym in NYC that is similar or are all of them class type gyms?

Wow! A muay thai gym run like some boxing gym. I've visited Church street boxing, but just about most muay thai gyms are run like group scheduling and personal trainning. It sounds ideal, but most gyms-muay thia gyms in the city- dont have enough instructors or the inclination to run their gyms that way.

Back