Manhatten Training?

I used to train muay thai in LA with Kru Rex of Muay Thai Kickboxing Gym in Van Nuys and loved the way the training was setup. It was an open gym and I could walk in whenever I want during the day. I spent the first half hour doing road work and jump roping. Afterwards, I did some bodyweight exercises and shadowboxing. Next I did bag work while I waited to get in the ring with the trainer. For 3 rounds, I'd do some ringwork with the Kru. Finally, I'd end with stretches and ab work.

Is there a gym in NYC that is similar or are all of them class type gyms?

You want "Ardons Sweet Science" in Brooklyn that is pretty much what Greg does with his guys great bunch of guys there and really good fighters.

The reason I'm interested in finding an open gym is because most of these class type gyms offer classes when I work. I get out of work at 7p and it takes me around 30 mins to get everywhere, so most of the classes I take would have to start around 8p.

I checked out the Church St Boxing website and their muay thai classes are at 8p on MWF. This may work out for me. Who teaches there and what is their program like?

The reason I'm interested in finding an open gym is because most of these class type gyms offer classes when I work. I get out of work at 7p and it takes me around 30 mins to get everywhere, so most of the classes I take would have to start around 8p.

I checked out the Church St Boxing website and their muay thai classes are at 8p on MWF. This may work out for me. Who teaches there and what is their program like?

I heard they got three different instructors who teach Muay Thai at Church Street.

But wow! That's pretty cool that Arden runs like an open gym set up. And from the numerous shows that 5points has put up, Arden has always sent pretty good if not entertaining fighters.

I'm still awaiting the 5 points at Williamsburg to open up so I can train there.

Wat has affiliation with Renzo. His trainers teach MT classes at the Renzo academy three days a week. Not sure if you could get a discount going to both places, but I doubt it.

Damn Nobody from Renzo's comes over to The WAT to do some Jiu-Jitsu classes... would be nice....Renzo is crazy expensive $210 a month is too much... on top of paying $150 for the WAT

I don't know about Church Street but I train at the WAT most of the classes are at night I train mornings because I have a night shift at my job but when I have days off I usually swing by at night... Only thing is gets crowded and say you didn't want to do class but do your own thing there's like no space when class is going on.

Besides that it's good training, only thing Phil is a little reluctant to let guys spar with each other if they're new even if you know what you're doing... They also have a rule about sparring under supervision a trainer must be there to pretty much watch you spar... If you ain't got shinguards, a cup, mouthpiece, and headgear don't even think about sparring either. They have sparring classes though, but it's very crowded and hard to move around from what I saw...besides that everything's cool clean locker room free towels if your ever in the gym while it's not so packed it has a very relaxing almost peaceful vibe to it I guess from the Thai decor and stuff.

Besides that it's good training, only thing Phil is a little reluctant to let guys spar with each other if they're new even if you know what you're doing... They also have a rule about sparring under supervision a trainer must be there to pretty much watch you spar... If you ain't got shinguards, a cup, mouthpiece, and headgear don't even think about sparring either. They have sparring classes though, but it's very crowded and hard to move around from what I saw...besides that everything's cool clean locker room free towels if your ever in the gym while it's not so packed it has a very relaxing almost peaceful vibe to it I guess from the Thai decor and stuff.

I checked out The Wat this week during the 7:30p beg/int classes. That place was packed! Kru Nurse was mad nice and the staff was fairly cool with my questions compared to the other gyms I've been to where they practically ignored me. 5 Points was mad cool, too, and I liked that they had full weight setup and was a complete gym. Unfortunately, both places had evening classes that don't fit my schedule. I sometimes don't leave work at exactly 7p so even the 7:30p classes would be too early for me. I need classes after 8p.

I also visited Ultimate Gym. No comment.

How packed are the classes at 7:30a at The Wat? If I sleep at 11p I might be able to make those classes and still get enough rest.

BTW, I found out that Jason Strout teaches the muay thai classes at Church Street Boxing. I googled his name and he used to teach at Duke Roufus' gym. He also still competes. Chris Rumalo used to teach at Chruch Street Boxing, but opened his own gym in midtown. He's pretty badass, but again, the classes are during my work times.

I checked out The Wat this week during the 7:30p beg/int classes. That place was packed! Kru Nurse was mad nice and the staff was fairly cool with my questions compared to the other gyms I've been to where they practically ignored me. 5 Points was mad cool, too, and I liked that they had full weight setup and was a complete gym. Unfortunately, both places had evening classes that don't fit my schedule. I sometimes don't leave work at exactly 7p so even the 7:30p classes would be too early for me. I need classes after 8p.

How packed are the classes at 7:30a at The Wat? If I sleep at 11p I might be able to make those classes and still get enough rest.

BTW, I found out that Jason Strout teaches the muay thai classes at Church Street Boxing. I googled his name and he used to teach at Duke Roufus' gym. He also still competes. Chris Rumalo used to teach at Chruch Street Boxing, but opened his own gym in midtown. He's pretty badass, but again, the classes are during my work times.

Yeah I've been to the Wat a few times, it is PACKED as hell. How packed was 5 Points?

yeah that's what I do... I work 2 - 10 PM and go to the 7:30 AM classes... Those aren't so packed... maybe like 15-20 students the most..and it's the only class so the gym isn't packed with people...

you should try to at least be dressed and changed at 7:15 AM because if you get there right at 7:30 AM you won't have time to stretch and shit.

Yeah I've been to the Wat a few times, it is PACKED as hell. How packed was 5 Points?

That depends. Usually 6PM classess on Wed and Monday and Saturday noon time is mobbed with people- A lot of Noobies! Recently the sparring classes are starting to fill up with the guys who have been there 6 months.

But if you want the smallest classes, with the most attention of the Kru's, week day mornings and afternoons.

As of the expansion, it is a process and it takes time.

5points gets packed during Saturday noon, and Monday, Wednesaday, Tuesday evenings. The sparring class on Wednesday at 8PM is starting to fill up. The smallest amount of people in class are during the weekday mornings and afternoons.

Its funny, how Five Points and The Wat are around the corner from each other and virtualy no negative impact on each other's business. Funny, at 5points right next to us is Shaolin temple and we can see their students doing their thing and they can watch us too. Well it was like that in the beginning like last year, but they have closed their shutters a bit. I dont think we distract them with our gawking, but I think the Shaolin master dont want their students watching us kick and box.:icon_chee

I visited Church Street Boxing and dig their boxing setup. The open gym environment with a dedicated trainer is pretty badass. Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with the muay thai class. No offense, but the class was majority women and it seemed like a fitness class with muay thai exercises. The space where the muay thai class was held in was tiny, and it seemed jump roping in the area was hard since there was barely any room.

Next week I plan on visiting the muay thai class at FightHouse. Any comments on the kru/class? I visited FighHouse a year ago to check out their MMA programs and met some dude with the last name Storm (Peter Storm, maybe?). Does he still teach there?

I visited Church Street Boxing and dig their boxing setup. The open gym environment with a dedicated trainer is pretty badass. Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with the muay thai class. No offense, but the class was majority women and it seemed like a fitness class with muay thai exercises. The space where the muay thai class was held in was tiny, and it seemed jump roping in the area was hard since there was barely any room.

Next week I plan on visiting the muay thai class at FightHouse. Any comments on the kru/class? I visited FighHouse a year ago to check out their MMA programs and met some dude with the last name Storm (Peter Storm, maybe?). Does he still teach there?

Yeah he does...

Did anyone attend the Muay Thai Madness event at FightHouse this weekend? If so, which schools did well?

In Manhattan, for MT only,try the WAT for sure.

didn't know MT was so popular in NYC. are there a lot of women going to these classes just for fitness or do they have a hard core element who train to fight ?

ok guys heres a question!!!!

who would you rather have fuck you in the ass

gsp? or serra

Well hello sherdog! It's been so long since I've posted and I'm back again since I'm finding a place to train again. I went to Ronin's and I loved it, but I wanted to find a strictly Muay Thai school now. I know of the names, but don't know how these schools in NYC actually are.

It'd be awesome if some New Yorkers can answer a few questions.

How is 5points? I heard it was crowded, but how are the 5-7pm weekday classes? Also, does anyone know the pricing?

And I know a guy who trains with Borodin, but he doesn't know much about pricing since he knows the trainer and gets discounts. What are their training times?

I've looked up The Wat when I first started, and it seemed really nice except for the really expensive registration fee. How is the pricing now, and how crowded are the 4-5pm classes?

Lastly, there's Fighthouse and their Muay thai. I've seen people polishing 5point and the wat, and not so much Fighthouse. Why is that? How are their saturday classes, and how's pricing?

And last but not least, how's Ronin's been? Any changes or what not?

Well hello sherdog! It's been so long since I've posted and I'm back again since I'm finding a place to train again. I went to Ronin's and I loved it, but I wanted to find a strictly Muay Thai school now. I know of the names, but don't know how these schools in NYC actually are.

It'd be awesome if some New Yorkers can answer a few questions.

How is 5points? I heard it was crowded, but how are the 5-7pm weekday classes? Also, does anyone know the pricing?

And I know a guy who trains with Borodin, but he doesn't know much about pricing since he knows the trainer and gets discounts. What are their training times?

I've looked up The Wat when I first started, and it seemed really nice except for the really expensive registration fee. How is the pricing now, and how crowded are the 4-5pm classes?

Lastly, there's Fighthouse and their Muay thai. I've seen people polishing 5point and the wat, and not so much Fighthouse. Why is that? How are their saturday classes, and how's pricing?

And last but not least, how's Ronin's been? Any changes or what not?

My friend called about 5 Points and they said 200$ a month. That is a hefty amount. I was hoping it was around $150 or so.

Back