Manager puts NSAC on blast after Ashlee Evans-Smith tests positive

I'm perfectly aware of how cocaine affects the user (how I know that is something we can leave unmentioned :wink:)

First off, it suppresses your appetite. How that helps you during a weight cut isn't so hard to figure out. Furthermore, it's fucking great to take a small dose of cocaine before a sparring session as it gets you into "the zone" more or less immediately. Also, the mental effects such as the feeling of invincibility (couldn't find a better way to describe it with my deficient english) is something that pretty much any fighter could take benefit from.

Honestly, I actually don't believe that cocaine is that much of a PED though. My main objection is against the fact that a training camp is considered out of competition. I think that as soon as a fight is booked, the fighter should be considered in competition, just as a football player is considered in competition during the whole season, not just on match days.

But thats a false equivalency. The NFL does not test for recreational drugs out of season, and being in training camp is not like being in the midst of an NFL season.

You mention a few small positives, but again you have to weigh those with the negatives like the harm it does to your body. Im not speaking as a guy who is against drugs, I have experience with almost every drug on the planet. My point is, a NFL player using cocaine a week before a game would be meaningless, whether they test for it or not. The effects of cocaine are so rapid, and the coming down happens so quickly, unless you did copious amounts of coke over an extended period of time, I cannot see any scenario in which it enhances performance.

But football isnt like MMA, and a training camp isnt like a regular season practice week.

A better example would be tennis or golf; a golfer (Dustin Johnson) tested positive for cocaine use out of competition and got no penalty.

But thats a false equivalency. The NFL does not test for recreational drugs out of season, and being in training camp is not like being in the midst of an NFL season.

You mention a few small positives, but again you have to weigh those with the negatives like the harm it does to your body. Im not speaking as a guy who is against drugs, I have experience with almost every drug on the planet. My point is, a NFL player using cocaine a week before a game would be meaningless, whether they test for it or not. The effects of cocaine are so rapid, and the coming down happens so quickly, unless you did copious amounts of coke over an extended period of time, I cannot see any scenario in which it enhances performance.

But football isnt like MMA, and a training camp isnt like a regular season practice week.

A better example would be tennis or golf; a golfer (Dustin Johnson) tested positive for cocaine use out of competition and got no penalty.

I'm talking about real football, not hand egg ;)

You guys do remember the part of the story that said because it was an out-of-competition test that cocaine shouldn't have been tested for, right?

I'm talking about real football, not hand egg ;)

Do you know why the term "hand-egg" is used? Because you can use your hands.

Soccer may be the only game considered a sport where you get a penalty for making contact with the other person or using your hands at all. If you took the soccer ball out of the equation it would basically be running track. Although soccer does at least allow contact if it is accidental and came because you made contact with the ball first. They must save that for manliest of men on the team! I am surprised there aren't more riots with people killing each other over who can knit a sweater the fastest.

:)

Honestly, I actually don't believe that cocaine is that much of a PED though. My main objection is against the fact that a training camp is considered out of competition. I think that as soon as a fight is booked, the fighter should be considered in competition, just as a football player is considered in competition during the whole season, not just on match days.

What is versus what isn't a PED is really what the conversation should revolve around. While I agree with you that the start of a training camp should be considered the definition of "in competition," but my beef is with why cocaine is considered ok by the commissions, but marijuana isn't?

As far as I'm concerned, what a fighter chooses to use as his/her recreational drug of choice, should be of no concern to anyone else. Seems a little hypocritical to me that the UFC could have a sponsor like Budweiser, which sells one of the most dangerous and destructive drugs on the planet, while at the same time everyone, from the commissions, to the fans, to society are all perfectly ok with that.

Fighters can literally post pics of themselves partying and drinking all they want with no repercussions, but cocaine requires rehab, and marijuana requires a 12 month suspension with fines? How does that make any sense?

Moreover, what makes it even more mind boggling is that of the three drugs, alcohol is by far the worst. Alcohol kills anywhere from 2-3 million people world-wide a year. It causes terrible deterioration in health, and is the only drug of the three that can actually kill you by simply trying to quit it cold turkey.

The whole thing is backwards and just plain laughable. Its incredible how incompetent people are at the highest levels of organizations.

Last edited:
Haha what a goof. "Jon Jones did Cocaine!" is the new easy out argument

Exactly what I was thinking. "Jones was on coke [before, not during his fight] and didn't receive punishment.. therefore, why should we be punished?"

Exactly what I was thinking. "Jones was on coke [before, not during his fight] and didn't receive punishment.. therefore, why should we be punished?"

The answer will be if they were stupid enough to think them taking a banned substance (OOC) is the same as them taking a substance that isn't banned then that is their own fault.

The answer will be if they were stupid enough to think them taking a banned substance (OOC) is the same as them taking a substance that isn't banned then that is their own fault.

lol..well said.

Why would the UFC suspend someone and hold up a whole division when they don't have to?

It would be the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot, which is stupid.

They could always resort to the ol' Interim Championship like they've done in the past.

But if no criminal charges are coming out from this whole thing, then I can understand why the UFC wouldn't feel inclined to hand down any kind of punishment. I guess I've answered my own inquiry from earlier then.

I did it with the help of a few crown and cokes. I let the liquor do the thinking.

Well the UFC's fighters, especially their big name fighters, are the source of their income. Jon getting caught doing cocaine was both bad for him and the UFC. But Jon being tested for something he wasn't originally supposed to be tested for, maybe the UFC sees it as an attack on Jon and by extension, an attack on them(their business).

I think the UFC wanted to make a good buck on the Jones' fight, and decided to keep the thing under wraps until afterwards, and now if they don't have to get their hands dirty with reprimanding Jones, then they won't.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the code of conduct but would Jones have a case against the UFC if they took action against him based on evidence provided by a test that should not have been undertaken? Similar to how police can't prosecute using evidence obtained incorrectly in criminal law?

Is this real life?

How can people know so little about how they make their own living?

"If the law is on your side pound the law, if the facts are on your side pound the facts, of you have neither pound the table."

"If the law is on your side pound the law, if the facts are on your side pound the facts, of you have neither pound the table."

I can't believe I have never heard that quote before. That is great.

Back