Manager puts NSAC on blast after Ashlee Evans-Smith tests positive

This. Her manager is wrong here but when you show special treatment to one, everybody else is going to complain.

The thing about Jon Joneser's case is that he is not receiving special treatment. As fucked up as it may be, cocaine is not a punishable offense when OOC under the NSAC rules.

Seeing as, you know, you were the very first one to ask for proof of this horrific suggestion I made.

Your theatrics are wearisome.

In my opinion, Jones has done nothing worthy of sanction by the UFC.

The brawl? Hyping the fight, and he's being sanctioned by the NSAC; he's even being investigated for possible perjury.

The cocaine? Nobody's business, and if anyone has a cause of action it's Jones for invasion of privacy (not only did they take a test they were not supposed to take, they made the results public).

As for Diaz, do you think the UFC actually wanted to remove him from that fight? They had invested a lot of money promoting it and it was incredibly marketable; that was not a move they wanted to make.

I really don't like Jones at all. I don't like his character and his fighting style bores me to tears; I don't consider him top ten most skilled fighters in the UFC. However, the Sherdog hatred for him is so intense that I keep finding myself defending him in these threads, have done so for years, because how I feel about a fighter shouldn't change how I judge an issue.

I hate to admit it but there's a part of me that wishes he'd blown a test, or that one of these other charges was serious enough to knock him off his pedestal, because every time he opens his mouth he manages to make me like and respect him a little less. However, I do not believe that to be the case. I think people are yelping about that stuff because they really, really hate him, and if this was a different fighter they wouldn't care at all.

So, that's my opinion. Every fighter is judged according to his good will and potential with Zuffa and whatever value he's brought to the organization. I don't think Jones is being given any gifts, if he gets more rope, it's because he's earned it, and because Zuffa believes he will continue to earn it. I recoil at it being called a double standard because all of these fighters have the opportunity to earn that rope.

Lol - if this was wand and the UFC actually did suspends him under code of conduct the same people crying now would be crying again.

This isn't special treatment. This is a guy not failing an ac test not getting punished by the ac or UFC. Has the UFC ever suspended someone for something similar? Someone pass the ac test but punished by UFC?

I think UFC suspensions are actually quite rare.

Recently we've had Anthony Johnson and Cung Le.

With Rumble they were waiting for his legal case to resolve before making an actual decision, and with Cung they did the test themselves, which I believe was a first.

I have no idea how long they would be able to suspend someone; it's complicated because most of their contracts expire if they don't offer fights. If a third party suspends a fighter the contract freezes, but I'm not sure that's the case if they suspend a fighter themselves.

The brawl? Hyping the fight, and he's being sanctioned by the NSAC; he's even being investigated for possible perjury.

The cocaine? Nobody's business, and if anyone has a cause of action it's Jones for invasion of privacy (not only did they take a test they were not supposed to take, they made the results public).

As for Diaz, do you think the UFC actually wanted to remove him from that fight? They had invested a lot of money promoting it and it was incredibly marketable; that was not a move they wanted to make.

I really don't like Jones at all. I don't like his character and his fighting style bores me to tears; I don't consider him top ten most skilled fighters in the UFC. However, the Sherdog hatred for him is so intense that I keep finding myself defending him in these threads, have done so for years, because how I feel about a fighter shouldn't change how I judge an issue.

I hate to admit it but there's a part of me that wishes he'd blown a test, or that one of these other charges was serious enough to knock him off his pedestal, because every time he opens his mouth he manages to make me like and respect him a little less. However, I do not believe that to be the case. I think people are yelping about that stuff because they really, really hate him, and if this was a different fighter they wouldn't care at all.

So, that's my opinion. Every fighter is judged according to his good will and potential with Zuffa and whatever value he's brought to the organization. I don't think Jones is being given any gifts, if he gets more rope, it's because he's earned it, and because Zuffa believes he will continue to earn it. I recoil at it being called a double standard because all of these fighters have the opportunity to earn that rope.

If only everyone could take this very simple approach. It is called having integrity. Everyone is going to have biases. Someone that actually values honesty will rise above them and stay objective on the issue despite their personal feelings about the man. And this goes for any fighter or anybody in life really. What is worse is that not only people fail to do this, but they intentionally strive to go as far the other way as possible and feign moral outrage and interject all sorts of melodrama. You see this kind of sleazy shit in politics all the time. How posters are so invested in the personal lives of fighters where their hatred for them is so deep that they would use these tactics in an MMA discussion forum is a sad commentary on mainstream values. Which is pretty ironic when one thinks about it.

Last edited:
She cheated to cut weight.

Jones snorted some blow off a hookers ass having a great time.

Comparable?

This man makes a living by being a manager and that's the argument he uses to defend his client? Holy shit.

The thing about Jon Joneser's case is that he is not receiving special treatment. As fucked up as it may be, cocaine is not a punishable offense when OOC under the NSAC rules.
And that bothers people so much that they remain in willful denial. The reason was never the issue. They got their hopes up that this could be used against Jones. They were so sure. It has been hard for some to accept they were wrong. Better luck next time I guess for the people that root for that sort of thing.

She cheated to cut weight.

Jones snorted some blow off a hookers ass having a great time.

Comparable?

No

And that is the point. One has nothing to do with competition. The other has everything to do with it as you forfeit part of your purse, any chance for a bonus, and have easier cuts than your opponent. There are out-of-competition distinctions for a reason. Hers also had a safety factor if I recall as far as what taking that medication and then fighting too close to when the last time was could do to a person.

Man, the only theatrics going on here are you flipping from stance to stance while doing circles.
So it's all fair because everyone equally plays the double-standards game? Comical stance to take ,in fact that's not even a stance, it's a complete cop-out to cosmic karma.

And if you actually vehemently agree that double standards are wide-spread in MMA depending on your worth, (like my 1 and only original point that everyone else managed to comprehend and agree with), why the hell did you start this ENTIRE thing by reacting to that and demanding proof of it's existence?

You got worked up defending Jones in every other thread and clearly jumped the gun on what you thought I was saying, as evident with your random petty irrelevant Wand jab to start out. As a result your argument was more cut up than a mirror at the Jones'. I wasn't anti-Jones on anything I said, it was anti-favoritism. You came in guns blazing on the Jon Jones white pony lol.

You need to analyze your own statement. If you find your self defending Jon Jones in every single thread on here for the past few years, as you say you do, perhaps you don't hate him? Food for thought.

I wasn't anti-Jones on anything I said, it was anti-favoritism. You came in guns blazing on the Jon Jones white pony lol.

You need to analyze your own statement. If you find your self defending Jon Jones in every single thread on here for the past few years, as you say you do, perhaps you don't hate him? Food for thought.

You're in full on adversary mode; it doesn't matter how clearly I make the point, you'll never hear it. I'm just going to leave this here and move on.

Because Jones is the golden boy and the UFC's full time job is to be on damage control for him.

Maybe the fighters are pissed off because guys are losing their jobs for the same shit he's done, sometimes less.
"Oh he had a contract with us, we were forced to give him that fight and make millions".
Right, tell that to Nick Diaz when you stripped his fight for a measly press conference.

Double standards on any and every front. Thats why fans are pissed. Thats why fellow employees are pissed.

You called Jones a "golden boy" despite the fact he's been thrown under the bus more than once. You compared this situation to Diaz despite the fact they have absolutely nothing in common, and stuck to it like glue.

Well, using a diuretic to cut weight is cheating. Plain and simple.

So is doing illegal central stimulants to aid your weight cutting, whether it's in the rulebook or not.

And honestly, it's pretty messed up that it's considered out of competition when you're in a training camp for a fight. If a football or hockey player gets caught between match days, noone would use the OOC argument.

But, it's another discussion, and it's a stupid excuse from Smith's manager. The way the rules are now, there's no possible way to punish Jones for it. Doesn't mean the rules aren't fucking stupid though.

Last edited:
People are so dumb.

Testing positive for a drug OUT OF COMPETITION, a recreational drug at that =/= testing positive for a banned substance IN COMPETITION.

The ONLY example that is comparable is Melvin Guillard, who also tested positive for cocaine but it was after the fight which constitues in competition. Jones was clean in his pre and post fight drug tests. That is all that matters. Anyone with half a brain and uses even a little bit of intelligence knows this.

Somebody needs to tell this guy that two wrongs don't make a right.

So is doing illegal central stimulants to aid your weight cutting, whether it's in the rulebook or not.

And honestly, it's pretty messed up that it's considered out of competition when you're in a training camp for a fight. If a football or hockey player gets caught between match days, noone would use the OOC argument.

Do you have any idea how long the effects of cocaine lasts and how the body reacts to it?

How exactly did Jones gain any advantage whatsoever by using a drug that harms his body? Cocaine does not help in weight cutting, nor does it do anything to improve Jones as a fighter. It does the opposite. It makes his body weaker, damages the tissue in his nose, creates lung issues, and a ton of other negatives, but there is nothing performance enhancing about using cocaine three days before a fight, much less a week plus.

Getting caught using illegal drugs, even if it has no bearing with the AC's standards, brings no repercussions from the UFC if you're a big-time player. That's what we've learned.

I'm not condoning or condemning their passive attitude towards recreational drug-use involving a money-making fighter. I'm just wrapping my head around it.

Getting caught using illegal drugs, even if it has no bearing with the AC's standards, brings no repercussions from the UFC if you're a big-time player. That's what we've learned.

I'm not condoning or condemning their passive attitude towards recreational drug-use involving a money-making fighter. I'm just wrapping my head around it.

Why would the UFC suspend someone and hold up a whole division when they don't have to?

It would be the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot, which is stupid.

Do you have any idea how long the effects of cocaine lasts and how the body reacts to it?

How exactly did Jones gain any advantage whatsoever by using a drug that harms his body? Cocaine does not help in weight cutting, nor does it do anything to improve Jones as a fighter. It does the opposite. It makes his body weaker, damages the tissue in his nose, creates lung issues, and a ton of other negatives, but there is nothing performance enhancing about using cocaine three days before a fight, much less a week plus.

I'm perfectly aware of how cocaine affects the user (how I know that is something we can leave unmentioned :wink:)

First off, it suppresses your appetite. How that helps you during a weight cut isn't so hard to figure out. Furthermore, it's fucking great to take a small dose of cocaine before a sparring session as it gets you into "the zone" more or less immediately. Also, the mental effects such as the feeling of invincibility (couldn't find a better way to describe it with my deficient english) is something that pretty much any fighter could take benefit from.

Honestly, I actually don't believe that cocaine is that much of a PED though. My main objection is against the fact that a training camp is considered out of competition. I think that as soon as a fight is booked, the fighter should be considered in competition, just as a football player is considered in competition during the whole season, not just on match days.

Well the UFC's fighters, especially their big name fighters, are the source of their income. Jon getting caught doing cocaine was both bad for him and the UFC. But Jon being tested for something he wasn't originally supposed to be tested for, maybe the UFC sees it as an attack on Jon and by extension, an attack on them(their business).

Why would the UFC suspend someone and hold up a whole division when they don't have to?

It would be the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot, which is stupid.
Hatred is often irrational

You are asking the wrong group for a logical answer. And if I may, presuming they care about the damage it would do, including to the guys waiting to fight him. They just want a reason to claim DC didn't really lose and a reason to somehow strip Jones of the title. That is their first, last, and only concern. Whatever comes after they would deal with. No asking price would be too high. For many of them anyway.

They have lived with the frustration of wanting to see him lose for so very long and thought the day was finally coming that it would happen. Not only it didn't but he out-wrestled the guy that was supposed to ragdoll him and ground-n-pound him to sleep. Instead he conceded defeat and spent the end of the fight trying to get the tiniest of moral victories to only lose in take-downs 5 to 1 instead of 5-0. They will be extra mad for a very long time.

Last edited:
Back