Main lifts for MMA

ENTROPY said:
It's a difficult question to answer, since an honest reply would require a standardized measuring protocol which cannot be applied consistently to the Neider press; whereas with other movements, such as the standing barbell press and the bench press, a measurable increase can easily be determined.

I haven't fought in years, so I don't personally use the Neider Press, however my brother (who still fights) uses the Neider press and is one of the hardest punchers in his gym which includes heavy weight, Kevin Mcbride who recently defeated Tyson.
I don't know.

Free weights don't provide horizontal resistance.

Just from looking at I have my doubts that it would be help your punching much.

FOR MMA the three best ones are Squat/Leg Press and Deadlift. All you need for lifting

cockysprinter said:
inertia. you might need weight but you can cetainly use it.
I doubt that it would provide much horizontal friction.

Ted-P said:
I don't know.

This is just downright ignorance

1. You don't need horizontal resistance to work the muscles used in punching.

2. Not all punches are thrown horizontally.

Free weights are the best way to train strength, period. If improved strength could help you in your sport, you want free weights.

Cmart said:
This is just downright ignorance

1. You don't need horizontal resistance to work the muscles used in punching.

2. Not all punches are thrown horizontally.

Free weights are the best way to train strength, period. If improved strength could help you in your sport, you want free weights.
Umm that wasn't exactly I was getting at. I'm a free weight first kind of guy. The thing is.........

Response to 1 is that if you wanna work the muscles used in punching there are much better ways to strength work em then neider press. Neider press incorporates horizontal movement in free weights which is at best good for working the stabilizer muscles and it doesnt even do that since the bar touching the ground.

There was an article a few years ago with Frank Shamrock. In the article, Frank Shamrock discussed how traditional weightlifting was too taxing on the CNS (central nervous system) ie. deadlifts, heavy squats. Instead he did a lot of lifts using his training partners ie. doubles with a pick-up and power cleans with heavy dumbells.

However, if you look up Jamie Hale, he's a strength coach who's worked with Forrest Griffith, TUF winner, he is very heavily GPP based. I think some of Mr. Hale's articles are on www.bodybuilding.com.

Ted-P said:
Umm that wasn't exactly I was getting at. I'm a free weight first kind of guy. The thing is.........

Response to 1 is that if you wanna work the muscles used in punching there are much better ways to strength work em then neider press. Neider press incorporates horizontal movement in free weights which is at best good for working the stabilizer muscles and it doesnt even do that since the bar touching the ground.

OK, I get where you're coming from now. Agreed.

L-Hold Rope climbs are good for your grip and gpp.

Not a mention of single leg work, dont you guys rate things like lunges and step ups?

cockysprinter said:
ive used it before, it will definately resist you.
Yes obviously it will resist, but that wasn't I was getting at.

Ted-P said:
I don't know.

I see your concern given that I also don

ENTROPY said:
PULL:
Barbell rows.
Dumbell rows.
Weighted pull ups.
Towel pull ups.
Face pulls.

PUSH:
Standing barbell press.
Barbell bench press.
Single arm dumbbell bench press.
Weighted dips.
Neider press.

SQUAT:
Back squat.
Front squats.
Deadlift.
Goodmornings.
Standing calf raises.

POWER:
Dumbell snatch.
Powerclean.
Sledge hammer work.
Keg lifts.

GRIP:
Farmer walks.
Pinch grips.
Thor

sylva said:
Entropy, Today I was going to begin one of the workout plans you outlined here(see below) using repetitionday plans you had lined out, but now it looks like these curret lifts you just put up may be slightly better for someone who is competing in MMA, such as myself and it makes the other routine look geared more towards the routine of a power lifter. Could you please help straighten me out...Here is what you posted that i was going to start today. I just want to do everyting right and be the best, strongest, leanest fighter i can be. I have an awesome clean diet and supplement regimine so that is not in question. I am just trying ot get the best routine for someone competing in MMA. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Ryan

Today is Monday morning at the office which means that I'm absolutely slammed with work so I don

My routine:

Monday - Deadlift, Pull-ups, Bent over barbell rows.

Tuesday - Sprints

Wednesday - DB Bench, Skull crushers, Overhead press.

Thursday - 20 minute run.

Friday - Squat, leg press, hamstring curls.

Sat/Sun - off.

I do MMA/BJJ 4 days a week.

Goat Meal said:
My routine:

Monday - Deadlift, Pull-ups, Bent over barbell rows.

Tuesday - Sprints

Wednesday - DB Bench, Skull crushers, Overhead press.

Thursday - 20 minute run.

Friday - Squat, leg press, hamstring curls.

Sat/Sun - off.

I do MMA/BJJ 4 days a week.

The deadlift and the squat exhibit highly comparable CNS expressions coupled with similar biomechanics to warrant separating them in a routine.

The deadlift shares more similarity with the squat than it does any type of row. Therefore, if one constructs a routine which applies the principles inherent on your routine, the deadlift should not be performed on pull day.

Also, get rid of the leg press and the leg curls; they are a waste of precious time!

Back