Main lifts for MMA

Chris Kimmerly

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
What are the main lifts a person should do for strength and explosive power for MMA. I have been doing squats, deads and bench.

Those are awesome!!! I suggest do high reps in squats with medium weight. Something you can do 15 reps with. Same with bench and dead lifts are great. Now I suggest you try to do Power Cleans this thing can give you awesome explosiveness!! and also over head shoulder presses. Also Plyometrics can help ton you can do squats say 10 reps and after you do 10 squat jumps. Also you can do light squats very light and jump with that weight on your back etc...... anything that envolves explosive is good.

There have been numerous threads on this subject, do a search and you'll find some. Most people will agree that deads, squats, presses, chins etc. are good for MMA strength.

cbdk said:
What are the main lifts a person should do for strength and explosive power for MMA. I have been doing squats, deads and bench.

PULL:
Barbell rows.
Dumbell rows.
Weighted pull ups.
Towel pull ups.
Face pulls.

PUSH:
Standing barbell press.
Barbell bench press.
Single arm dumbbell bench press.
Weighted dips.
Neider press.

SQUAT:
Back squat.
Front squats.
Deadlift.
Goodmornings.
Standing calf raises.

POWER:
Dumbell snatch.
Powerclean.
Sledge hammer work.
Keg lifts.

GRIP:
Farmer walks.
Pinch grips.
Thor

Face Pulls?

Have you experienced good results personaly with Neider press Entropy?

krellik said:
Face Pulls?

Have you experienced good results personaly with Neider press Entropy?

It's a difficult question to answer, since an honest reply would require a standardized measuring protocol which cannot be applied consistently to the Neider press; whereas with other movements, such as the standing barbell press and the bench press, a measurable increase can easily be determined.

I haven't fought in years, so I don't personally use the Neider Press, however my brother (who still fights) uses the Neider press and is one of the hardest punchers in his gym which includes heavy weight, Kevin Mcbride who recently defeated Tyson.

Hold beer in one hand. Lift, drink, put it back down.
Preferably watching some sports on tv.

Hamit Aktas said:
Hold beer in one hand. Lift, drink, put it back down.
Preferably watching some sports on tv.

Fuck off troll!

Thanks for the reply Entropy. Sounds like something worth trying.

What Entropy said, and then a bunch of heavy ab work. Weighted incline situps, crunches, hanging leg raise, dragon flags, incline side situps, etc.

Nice job again, Entropy.

Cmart said:
What Entropy said, and then a bunch of heavy ab work. Weighted incline situps, crunches, hanging leg raise, dragon flags, incline side situps, etc.

Nice job again, Entropy.

Thanks for pointing that out

Ab work is extremely important to a fighter.

Ab and core work is very important, dont forget to add some rotational exercises when you work your abs though

top-right.jpg

holy shit could anyone actually bench that?

Back