Maia will show Shields what real Jiu-Jitsu looks like and finish him via sub in round

Shields and Maiaarevery different on the ground, and it really depends on how they match up. Maia has very traditional jiu jitsu, while Shields incorporates more of a wrestling base. I wouldn't be surprised if Shields does well on the mat with Maia......

Maia is better everywhere, Shields isn't getting subbed though. Maia UD

Imagining this but wouldn't be surprised by a UD for either man. Shields could very well give him the Hoger/Kennedy treatment minus the any strikes.

Subs in past 4 years:

Schaub - 1
Maia - 1
Shields - 0

I'd say your logic checks out pretty well.

Edit: Also Jon Jones has 4 subs in the same timeframe, including two over Brazilian Jiujitsu black belts, the only keylock in recent memory, subbed Rampage for the first time in a decade etc. This leads me to conclude he would sub Maia, Schaub and Shields at the same time.

lol'd

Murican Jiu Jitsu is what Shields practices. Murica > any other nation's jiu jitsu

Imagining this but wouldn't be surprised by a UD for either man. Shields could very well give him the Hoger/Kennedy treatment minus the any strikes.

lol'd

Nice to see someone acknowledges that shields can put it down. Seems like everyone is on bjj but is feel like the idea that it's better than ajj is just garbage what do they think we've been practicing

Only Wallid Ismail knows the real zhoozheetsu.
He could probably share his knowledge with Maia, for a small fee.

wow, pretty much everyone pulling for maia on this one. I cant wait to come back on this thread after shields wins a decision and say i told you so.

Firstly, everyone is assuming maia has the better stand up. I disagree, shields has ok striking he just looks extremely awkward in the process. After all he took a round from gsp with a good jab, the second point to mention is he went 5 rounds in a championship fight!

I think shields will be the longer fighter and he will have a sound gameplan. Everytime he gets in the cage he makes it a messy scrap which will work in his favour.

ajj :)

From what I saw in Shields X Mayhem, Shields has a weak grappling position defense.
I predict a rear-naked choke or a big UD (Maia X Fitch style) in Maia's favor.

Maia couldn't keep shields back for over 2 seconds. Nice prediction

Confident Maia maybe but determined and focused Shields is tough. I think Maia isn't as instinctual in big fights he tends to float more rather than get right in there and go for the grapple like when he did dominate when moving to 170.

Back