Maia: "Am I the best fighter in WW division? No. Am I the toughest? No".

Touche' to that.

I gravitate towards the Glory style fights. I don't like the fact that guys who can't fight, stay in the fight with BJJ... and usually win if it hits the ground lol.

I guess #JustBleed4Lyfe But a KO is more impressive than a tap. Opinion of course.

not really, you dont need to have particular super skills to ko anyone, you do have to know your shit to sub people. A fight without ground game is not a fight, is a kickboxing match, a fight without striking is not a fight, is a grappling match, both sports on call them self fights, I guess each one have a point, but MMA is the only type of real fight.

comparing chael and shields to condit is ridiculous, as long as its on the feet condit has an extreme advantage and the few times hes lost were typically from being lnp'd by powerful wrestlers. maia is no GSP or hendricks and his striking, while having come a long way, presents zero threat to guys like condit or lawler

maia has better tds than hendricks. He was a way better single and is relentless as fuck, JH likes to strike and stay outside. GSP, yeah no one gets close to him. Condit has hit the ground WITH EVERY single fighter he faced, even nick diaz lmfao.

Bieng LnP vs maia, it wont happen, Maia does not need to LnP (this terms comes mostly from people laying in somoeons guard) Maia will pass and mount, true some fights he doesnt risk much once there, but you go down anbd you aint getting back up, thats for sure. Gunner nelson will make condit his bitch on the ground, maia took gunny to school, on the ground.

Last edited:
Came across as a really nice, smart guy. He had a lot of stories I hadn't heard before. Will be tuning in for his match with Brown for sure. For sure.

not really, you dont need to have particular super skills to ko anyone, you do have to know your shit to sub people. A fight without ground game is not a fight, is a kickboxing match, a fight without striking is not a fight, is a grappling match, both sports on call them self fights, I guess each one have a point, but MMA is the only type of real fight.

You know if 2 guys got into a debate and said come on lets fight. One puts up his fist while the other laid on the ground and said get over here and mount me, how that looks to most people. lol

Maia would be much funner to watch if he had learned to strike. Not many are going to try and take him down.

"Am I the strongest? No. Am I the hardest working? No. Am I the smartest? No. I forget where I was going with this."
I love Maia, but this still gets a like :D

Will listen to the interview later.

Movement on the feet is all the rage right now and rightfully so, but guys like Maia have movement on the ground that's just as impressive and beautiful to watch.

You know if 2 guys got into a debate and said come on lets fight. One puts up his fist while the other laid on the ground and said get over here and mount me, how that looks to most people. lol

Maia would be much funner to watch if he had learned to strike. Not many are going to try and take him down.

You've got it twisted my friend, Maia is the guy who lays *you* on the ground and gets on top of you.

Now that's fighting.

maia doesnt lay on the ground asking for ´people to jump on his guard, when was the last time you ever saw a maia fight?

he has the best tds in the division, not to mention, even if he does that, do you think in a "SF" do you think you are just going to punch someone from the guard (who the fuck pulls mount?) that knows what hes doing? fight most likely will end up with someone being unconcius, and it wont be the grappler.

Marquardt didn't think so. That was fighting.

My friend, you're flip-flopping between topics really fast and hoping noone notices (or maybe you are mushy minded and don't realize it yourself).

You asserted that 'grappling' someone in a fight means buttflopping.

In disputatio, I noted that the most expedient application of grappling in a fight is wrestlefucking someone.

Nothing says 'beatdown' quite like dropping bombs on someones face from the saddle.

Marquardt didn't think so. That was fighting.

I am fairly sure you haven't watch a single Maia fight in a long ass time...nothing wrong I don't watch many pure strikers fight either...

I am fairly sure you haven't watch a single Maia fight in a long ass time...nothing wrong I don't watch many pure strikers fight either...

Watched the Rory and Laflare fight. Spent so much time on the ground, Big John took a point away. Maia should learn how to strike.

Watched the Rory and Laflare fight. Spent so much time on the ground, Big John took a point away. Maia should learn how to strike.

he mauled rory for 1 entire round the way no one did (till he went half zombie) lafrare is a pretty good wrestler, he trashed him, big john took a point away becasue at the end of the 5th he was half dead (no surprise dude is 38 years old) after putting a grappling clinic on lafrare. Did you see him pulling guard till the 4th round? Did you see him pulling guard vs Rory? Maia know how to strike, but striking is what created k1 maia, the one everyone hated (well may be not justbleed type of fans) To say Maia should learn to strike is the same as to say Roby needs to learn how to grapple, both do know how to do both things, they are pro fighters, but the level of competition and its personal flavor makes them choose where to fight, a grappler grapples a striker strikes,is that simple. If you dont like grappling, wtf are yo udoing watching MMA?

I can understand that new fans who dont train do not appreciate grappling, but to expect a grappling to go k1 on people is just ridiculous, there were not signed for the UFC to throw kciks and punches, thats not what got them there.

Says the guy with the Werdum AV.

Fail to see how that makes what I said untrue.

And really if you think about Werdum, it makes my point even more valid. Werdum didn't really hit his stride until he made improvements in his striking. As soon as he did he entered that upper elite territory of the division. If Maia made any improvements there he might actually be a threat. Until then I stand by my opinion--Robbie by brutal finish.

Fail to see how that makes what I said untrue.

And really if you think about Werdum, it makes my point even more valid. Werdum didn't really hit his stride until he made improvements in his striking. As soon as he did he entered that upper elite territory of the division. If Maia made any improvements there he might actually be a threat. Until then I stand by my opinion--Robbie by brutal finish.

not the same, Werdum fights at HW, where striking is more dominant, simple because a bomb from a HW is different than a bomb from a WW. Roby sure as hell hits hard, but hes a WW, and maia has a granite chin, he will eat some punches in order to get inside, in a 5 round fight, I think roby has a 70/30 on his favor, on a 3 round fight 60/40 against him.I think fi this fight happens it will be a 5 rounder, becasue if he losses and Maia beats brown, Thompson will be fighting maia for that belt.

Not sure how any MMA fans are not also fans of Maia.
And I can't help but wonder if many of his critics have even seen him fight. People accusing him of "lnp" or wrestlefucking" are really hard to relate to. Maia is about as aggressive as any fighter I can think of. I don't get the hate.

I'd rather hear guys talk like this than the Rick Story's of the mma world who think they're the best and can beat anyone put in front of them.

Back