Maia: "Am I the best fighter in WW division? No. Am I the toughest? No".

i like maia,s attitude but he gets KO'd by Lawler, Condit, Hendricks, Woodley and Lombard IMO

all bad match ups for demain, except condit whos getting grapple fuck in an epic fashion.

Robbie KO's him in 2 rounds easy. Everyone hates one dimensional strikers, but because his one skill is jitz, the hipsters here cream their pants.
Says the guy with the Werdum AV.

all bad match ups for demain, except condit whos getting grapple fuck in an epic fashion.

condit is an excellent grappler and while he is susceptible to takedowns i dont think maia has the wrestling chops to get him or sub him

I hate that he's right. Boring as fk, but can nullify any fight from actually happening and just gluing himself to anyone.
I guess I see it differently. I always saw guys like Fitch and Sonnen as nullifying fights, doing absolutely nothing and just laying there. At least with Maia he showed some absolutely top notch gnp against Nelson, and he's always setting a sub/transition up. You'll never see him simply control someone and never look for anything

condit is an excellent grappler and while he is susceptible to takedowns i dont think maia has the wrestling chops to get him or sub him

Maia has made exellent grapplers look like white belts. He doesn't need to sub him, he'll ride him for 3 rounds, a 5 round fight will be tough though

Listened to the Maia interview on my drive home and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nevertheless, even if he beats Matt Brown, Maia isn't going to get the title shot. Condit, Rory, Woodley, and Thompson are all bigger money fights than Maia.

I guess I see it differently. I always saw guys like Fitch and Sonnen as nullifying fights, doing absolutely nothing and just laying there. At least with Maia he showed some absolutely top notch gnp against Nelson, and he's always setting a sub/transition up. You'll never see him simply control someone and never look for anything

He's impressive as all hell but extremely predictable and it saps any excitement out of watching him. Oh Maia's up, I wonder if he'll get a KO. Nope, just dove in, controlled & smothered. But, he's the best at doing it so give him a snooze pass, praise be the title shot!

He's impressive as all hell but extremely predictable and it saps any excitement out of watching him. Oh Maia's up, I wonder if he'll get a KO. Nope, just dove in, controlled & smothered. But, he's the best at doing it so give him a snooze pass, praise be the title shot!

The problem is that you don't like grapplers , the same can be said about roby in reverse, ohh roby is up, is he going to get a sub, nop, Just stay in the pocket and throw leather for 5 rounds...

As if Condit has good takedown defense? Maia can take down anyone in the division. Look at what he did to Chael Sonnen, he also took Jake Shields down repeatedly. He'd have no problem taking Condit down repeatedly.

Seems like he's taking the whole self deprecation thing too far. I understand being humble but you should be giving me all the reasons you should be fighting for the title, not all the ones that mean you shouldn't.

War Maia! I would love to see him win the belt then retire. He's my favorite grappler of all time!
This makes no sense to me

Wanting your favorite fighter/grappler/whatever to win the title, that I get.

Wanting ANYONE to win the title then immediately retire? WTF I don't get that at all

how ?

i would say bader is a little better gatekeeper

Bader isnt amazing anywhere. He is really good everywhere but Maia is literally incredible on the ground. He has something no other fighter has in the WW division and maybe in the entire UFC. Bader isn't the best at anything at LHW. In my opinion

The problem is that you don't like grapplers , the same can be said about roby in reverse, ohh roby is up, is he going to get a sub, nop, Just stay in the pocket and throw leather for 5 rounds...

Touche' to that.

I gravitate towards the Glory style fights. I don't like the fact that guys who can't fight, stay in the fight with BJJ... and usually win if it hits the ground lol.

I guess #JustBleed4Lyfe But a KO is more impressive than a tap. Opinion of course.

This makes no sense to me

Wanting your favorite fighter/grappler/whatever to win the title, that I get.

Wanting ANYONE to win the title then immediately retire? WTF I don't get that at all

Cause he's approaching 40, so to me it would be amazing for him to end his career in the best way possible. It's like Manning retiring after a super bowl win.

Demian should get the next title shot for being the nicest guy in the UFC.

I have become a bigger Maia fan every year. It is just impossible not to respect his skill and he just is a likable guy. I have always enjoyed striking over grappling but the high-level stuff Maia brings is as good as any striking fight.

When he mauled Fitch was one of the more impressive things i had seen. I know Fitch went downhill after that but that was supposed to be a war and it turned into a one-sided demolition.

Cause he's approaching 40, so to me it would be amazing for him to end his career in the best way possible. It's like Manning retiring after a super bowl win.
Fighting isn't football. Winning a title then fucking off just leaves the division broken, and it can take years for that belt to regain legitimacy. Look at 170 post GSP. The football analogy just doesn't work.

I get what you're saying about his age but if you can win the title, you should defend it. Frankly I think winning the title then retiring is complete chicken shit, and as a fan I don't like it. If he's good enough to win the title at 40, then barring any significant injury or setback at that point he can't say he's too old to keep fighting. I'd be pissed if anyone won the title then quit right there. Like, way to fuck the fans over.

Fighting isn't football. Winning a title then fucking off just leaves the division broken, and it can take years for that belt to regain legitimacy. Look at 170 post GSP. The football analogy just doesn't work.

I get what you're saying about his age but if you can win the title, you should defend it. Frankly I think winning the title then retiring is complete chicken shit, and as a fan I don't like it. If he's good enough to win the title at 40, then barring any significant injury or setback at that point he can't say he's too old to keep fighting. I'd be pissed if anyone won the title then quit right there. Like, way to fuck the fans over.

I understand where you're coming from but it's my preference. I'd have no issue with Maia winning then retiring but I understand why some would.

As if Condit has good takedown defense? Maia can take down anyone in the division. Look at what he did to Chael Sonnen, he also took Jake Shields down repeatedly. He'd have no problem taking Condit down repeatedly.

comparing chael and shields to condit is ridiculous, as long as its on the feet condit has an extreme advantage and the few times hes lost were typically from being lnp'd by powerful wrestlers. maia is no GSP or hendricks and his striking, while having come a long way, presents zero threat to guys like condit or lawler

I loved the clinic he put on against Nelson...it was awesome. Anytime I get to see one of the "we're not here to take part, we're here to take over" fun pals get picked off, it's a good day.

Back