Macee's knee exam

Really? When has a fight been stopped for any one of those? A doctor stoppage, not the ring throwing in the towel.
I guess if the injury is bad enough, the fight is usually stopped by the ref before the doctor has a chance to intervene. Tim Sylvia getting his arm broken, Cantwell vs Al-Hassan, Tate vs Rousey in Strikeforce. There was one dude who broke his leg or fucked up his ankle, dr examined it between rounds, and fight was stopped. I have a feeling if the dr saw Jon Jones' toe in the Sonnen fight, that probably would have been stopped.

Wow is there a story behind that? Power lifting injury or something. That look weird af. Did he just sit there the whole match? haha

Na, just Vince is a hardcore workaholic, so he did a stupid and did his billionaire strut and fucked up tearing both quads, will always be funny to see.

Here is just one of Kevin Nash quad tears:

Not sure why there is so much confusion.

The Dr. Performed an anterior drawer test, "Lachman" test.

This is not only an exceptionally accurate method to diagnose an ACL tear, literally anyone can do it.

Source: my wife is a doctor.

With over the phone instructions I was able to assess a coworker who has been given terrible advice from a "sports therapist" which delayed her MRI and surgery two months...

The real question going forward is what might ACs add procedurally to protect fighters from themselves? As with Thiago Santos, you're now one sprawl away from an alphabet soup tear and meniscus damage.

And Jesus Rogan. For a guy who talks about his ACL tear with every podcast guest, his incredulity to the doctors ability to assess was very strange.

You can see it give and bend laterally here. I'm not sure the punch is what put her down...

I’m a Myotherapist and we use this quite frequently, it’s pretty accurate. (Scans always better) It’s always better to have a before/after feel but I’d say he felt some significant movement of the tibia forward, possibly some grinding.

I just found it funny that he was like ‘partial acl tear she’s fine’ in that test ACL (MCL/Meniscus) tears are worst case and really what you’re testing for so why do it if it’s positive and you still let it go? Most likely case is it goes from partial to full

I’m a Myotherapist and we use this quite frequently, it’s pretty accurate. (Scans always better) It’s always better to have a before/after feel but I’d say he felt some significant movement of the tibia forward, possibly some grinding.

I just found it funny that he was like ‘partial acl tear she’s fine’ in that test ACL (MCL/Meniscus) tears are worst case and really what you’re testing for so why do it if it’s positive and you still let it go? Most likely case is it goes from partial to full
If she's screaming and limping and ref asked the dr to check it, seems fair. No reason to stop the fight there if it was just a mild grade 1 tear. Maybe if it was a complete tear the dr could have had a different opinion. Maybe he would say tehre's no stability and she can't continue. Or maybe he wouldn't. Maybe he checked it just to satisfy the ref.

Fighters don't often scream out in pain and limp back to their corners either. I can't think of many instances where there has been really obvious knee injuries other than maybe one fight.

It also has some to do with the training of the doctor and how knowledgeable they are about these sort of injuries.

It's common to see ACL injuries along with meniscal, collateral ligaments, and articular cartilage damage. Not sure what sort of criteria fight doctors use for stopping fights or if there is even any consensus guideline that they follow. You see fights getting stopped for broken arms, hyper-extended joints, foot injuries. Not sure why a knee exam seems so weird.

I think it’s strange because unless you plan to stop the fight there’s not much point in it. ACL tears are what Ant Drawer sign is testing for. Worst case is actually having one. So why just do it and then be ok with her continuing? I’m cool with her toughing it out and have no problem with the test but it’s just strange he did it just to check. Generally speaking a fresh partial ACL tear will get worse straight away. The swelling can make the knee unstable. If it’s given a week or so you can potentially compete with it.

Maybe I missed him pulling on it, but I only saw him push in on the knee. That would be a test of the PCL and not the ACL.

anyways he should have also done both knees, to make sure if there is some laxity there that it isn’t normal for by comparing it to the uninjured knee. He was probably just nervous though. I’d probably fuck up something like that too if I was on tv in front of a huge crowd for the first time

If she's screaming and limping and ref asked the dr to check it, seems fair. No reason to stop the fight there if it was just a mild grade 1 tear. Maybe if it was a complete tear the dr could have had a different opinion. Maybe he would say tehre's no stability and she can't continue. Or maybe he wouldn't. Maybe he checked it just to satisfy the ref.

Possibly the ref part. My experience with ACLs is a partial is very vulnerable in the immediate aftermath, swelling makes the knee pretty unstable. Once it settles you can work on it but obviously wanna avoid twisting the knee. So it’s strange the test was done at the time.

I think it’s strange because unless you plan to stop the fight there’s not much point in it. ACL tears are what Ant Drawer sign is testing for. Worst case is actually having one. So why just do it and then be ok with her continuing? I’m cool with her toughing it out and have no problem with the test but it’s just strange he did it just to check. Generally speaking a fresh partial ACL tear will get worse straight away. The swelling can make the knee unstable. If it’s given a week or so you can potentially compete with it.

This is what I don't understand.

You're in a fight where the rules allow for you to be tackled (have your leg rolled under), include submissions designed to stress knee joints or your opponent target and kick the damaged knee.

It appears Roxanne knew about the knee and elected not to target it, but we saw Jose go nuts kicking the Zombie's shoulder once he realized there was an issue.

This opened a very interesting door for me...

at least we can put that corny shit with the phone to rest. Great fighter tho, hope she recovers fast.

Not sure why there is so much confusion.

The Dr. Performed an anterior drawer test/ "Lachman" test. (as noted below they are different tests, however he doesn't follow exact procedure for either so I lumped them together).

This is not only an exceptionally accurate method to diagnose an ACL tear, literally anyone can do it.
Source: my wife is a doctor.

The real question going forward is what might ACs add procedurally to protect fighters from themselves? As with Thiago Santos, you're now one sprawl away from an alphabet soup tear and meniscus damage.

And Jesus Rogan. For a guy who talks about his ACL tear with every podcast guest, his incredulity to the doctors ability to assess was very strange.

You can see it give and bend laterally here. I'm not sure the punch is what put her down...

Why didn't your wife tell you that you it's a comparative test that requires both knees to be checked in the same manner to then make a judgement on the difference between each "lachman" test?

Or did you just read it on twitter comments like everyone else ;) ?

You heard the Dr.
“Minor ACL tear she’s Fine”

Mondaferi either has the lowest fight IQ in WMMA
History or such a limited Kill instinct she should be fired

Jared Hess vs Shlemenko was stopped due to Hess tearing his ACL. The Dr performed an anterior drawer between rounds and called the fight. It's happened before......it's just that Rogan is a lot more casual of fan than he wants to believe so he makes huge platitudes to sound like an expert. As much as I hate Cruz, I think Dom could have put him in his place at that moment.

You heard the Dr.
“Minor ACL tear she’s Fine”

Mondaferi either has the lowest fight IQ in WMMA
History or such a limited Kill instinct she should be fired

Don't forget Sue-come-tot (my spelling, not his) against the Bob Ross guy. Afro-boy couldn't even stand, and Sue kept shooting for the takedown (and getting it) and lost the fight as a result.

Rogan and Paul's reference to Thiago Santos was stupid. Thiago was moving semi decently and still throwing spinning heel kicks,head kicks, leg kicks, body kicks, all kinda kicks mayne. Maycee could barely stand and was practically leaning against the cage for support. No way she could've went 4 more rounds with the goat of her division on that leg

The doctor is secretly Superman and he used his X-Ray vision on her.

Back