Lyoto Machida vs Dan Henderson (stand up)

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
lyotodropssilvaagain.gif

dan-henderson-knocking-out-michael-bisping.gif

Who takes the match?

Will it be a close stand up battle?

I honestly think Dan has nothing for Machida. Nothing in stand up or any area of MMA for that matter. Yes Dan is a bad ass, and a tough mo fo. But he will be a sitting duck against Machida in my opinion.

Discuss

Last edited:
A lot of people think Dan Henderson needs to come out swinging for the fences. I disagree. Dan has to work on picking his shots, setting up his overhand less predictably, and keeping pressure on Machida instead of just rushing. Dan needs to play a game similar to how Rampage played it, and hope he can squeak out a few rounds instead of go for broke.

Machida gets Bisping'd and we get Machida face v2.

Hendo will probably use his wrestling against the fence and just grind him out

I luv how Hendo's opponent gets crushed in OP Vid #2. It's a classic example of the classical boxing defense-FAILl.... re-actively reposition blows up on defender....
I only know of 1 high level mma fighter that uses TMA's compared to all of the other fighters on the roster (UFC). Which would be lyoto. I think there is an obvious trend that shows TMA's don't work at the highest levels of mma. Why is that?
^^^ YEAH, SEE ABOVE, WHY IS THAT.... :p
I think its the fact that they include so many different techniques and then the conviluted method of training it self....

Now tkd and karate have different nomenclature for there techs and what not, but the problems remain the same. I feel that instead of focusing on 1 step and combat sequences type training, they should focus on concepts technique sparring.

It also takes more time in a tma to get proficient. For starters lets take defense. They have you learn a big exaggerated deflection that will not work in combat. Then as the belt ranks increase and time goes buy, they slowly teach you to "edit" and shorten the movement to what you would actually use in a fight. That is the best example of this kind of poor training technique i can find. In boxing for instance, you dont learn a exagerated form of a defense. You learn the real, fight version of the defense then rep the hell out of it, as it should be.

They tend to have a distinct lack of low rules sparring. No head punching is common. They tend not to work on throws and locks and sweeps and displacements.

Truthfully i think that at one time, the TMA's were more complete then they are now. Im not sure why, but at some point crap got taken out of them and im not sure why.

Example is the horse stance. Sure its usefull for training leg strength and flexibility, but that kind of low wide posture is also good for defending against certain types of take downs.(imho, it just seems similar to some take down defenses im learning.)
^^^ I brought this over under a foreign concept called "synthesis." It's no wonder TMA's don't venture into the DW / JR World and then to be judged by this....

^^^ All of the things you complain about can be made into an answer to take DH right out in Vid #2.

^^^ Where did I get the CONCEPT? From all the things you, and Discipulus, et al complain about....

>>> Focus mitts yeah.... yeah, yeah.

KarateStylist

Last edited:
I luv how Hendo's opponent gets crushed in OP Vid #2. It's a classic example of the classical boxing defense-FAILl.... re-actively reposition blows up on defender....

KarateStylist

Yeah , he got crushed by a boxing move ........so yeeeeeeah.

Anyways , Bisping there messed up on his positioning . No biggy

I'm starting to think that Dan might have it in him to give Machida a fight. Once upon a time I thought he'd get wrecked off the bat. But he's no longer the wild swinging sort of fighter he used to be. The Bisping fight is an excellent example of that. I still have Machida winning this one, but if Dan can fight patiently (as he did against Bisping), work his jab and set up his right hand well, then I think he could take this one. It was an overhand that Shogun used to drop him. Problem is Dan doesn't have Shogun's leg kicks, but he has shown success using that inside kick and the jab to immobilize people in the past, so we'll see. I think Hendo is a savvier striker these days than many give him credit for. He's got more than just power.

Dan will stalk him out and get the TD.

Grinding it out against the fence is another good bet

Can Dan pin Machida to the fence? :icon_neut I don't Machida's so easy to get a hold of, unless he's fighting Jones. My hope is that he's once again working those sweeps he used to be so renowned for, and that he can mount Dan like Shogun did and put him to sleep.

Can Dan pin Machida to the fence? :icon_neut I don't Machida's so easy to get a hold of, unless he's fighting Jones. My hope is that he's once again working those sweeps he used to be so renowned for, and that he can mount Dan like Shogun did and put him to sleep.

TD attempts might do it. Pressure and angles wont cut it, IMO

I see. That makes sense. It's certainly been the explanation for a lot of Dan's success with his hands in the past. The Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva recipe. I just hope to God Dan doesn't suddenly think to throw a spinning backfist.

I see. That makes sense. It's certainly been the explanation for a lot of Dan's success with his hands in the past. The Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva recipe. I just hope to God Dan doesn't suddenly think to throw a spinning backfist.

after surviving the 2012 apocalypse, I would hate to have the fabric of space and time torn asunder when hendo spins into a falcon punch and lands with more force than the universe could safely handle.

His main strategy will be to stalk and pump out those hands occasionally and hoping Machida fks up defensively somewhere (he will , whether Hendo's throwing the right punch at the right time remains to be seen).

Look for machida to be extra flighty in this fight.

His main strategy will be to stalk and pump out those hands occasionally and hoping Machida fks up defensively somewhere (he will , whether Hendo's throwing the right punch at the right time remains to be seen).

Look for machida to be extra flighty in this fight.

Machida with the leg kicks!

Machida is gonna gameplan and do his homework on that H bomb... But if it lands it may be game over for the dragon...

Yeah , he got crushed by a boxing move ........so yeeeeeeah.

Anyways , Bisping there messed up on his positioning . No biggy
^^^ AGREED.... 100%. Is it necessary to talk like you're in kindergarten... :confused: /// scratch that.... silly question....

^^^ REALLY.... WHY DON'T YOU STAND IN FRONT OF HENDERSON & LET HIM UNLOAD.... Maybe you need to "Google Translate," the 1-dimensional MMA speak you put up.... ha ha.

KarateStylist

P.S. PLS, Don't rat me out to Discipulus,,,, I'm still up.... :)

I luv how Hendo's opponent gets crushed in OP Vid #2. It's a classic example of the classical boxing defense-FAILl.... re-actively reposition blows up on defender....]

bisping was circling into his power side, and had his hands at his waist when hendo threw the punch. what boxing coach would teach you that?

^^^ AGREED.... 100%. Is it necessary to talk like you're in kindergarten... :confused: /// scratch that.... silly question....

^^^ REALLY.... WHY DON'T YOU STAND IN FRONT OF HENDERSON & LET HIM UNLOAD.... Maybe you need to "Google Translate," the 1-dimensional MMA speak you put up.... ha ha.

KarateStylist

P.S. PLS, Don't rat me out to Discipulus,,,, I'm still up.... :)

Thank you , so u admit I was right.
With Henderson you have to blue cheese but Machida is strong in his karate so I don't know.
But you're right in that Bisping isn't Machida and they're both the same so essentially Henderson has to unload and Machida .

Machida is gonna gameplan and do his homework on that H bomb... But if it lands it may be game over for the dragon...
^^^ Machida Homework Question: Should 'Chida trade with Hendo? Or should Lyoto resort to his vintage elusiveness? Or what do you propose under Machida 'gameplan,' in the striking department?'

KarateStylist

^^^ Machida Homework Question: Should 'Chida trade with Hendo? Or should Lyoto resort to his vintage elusiveness? Or what do you propose under Machida 'gameplan,' in the striking department?'

KarateStylist

I don't think Machida should trade with Hendo. Hendo H bomb and Machida can front kick when down from takedown sumo.
His gameplan should be to stick and move but not trade with Hendo because mma fans and George Washington.

Back