Lyoto Machida vs Dan Henderson (stand up)

I don't think Machida should trade with Hendo. Hendo H bomb and Machida can front kick when down from takedown sumo.
His gameplan should be to stick and move but not trade with Hendo because mma fans and George Washington.

I think its gonna look like machida vs bader... I mean, he too was lunging forward with his right hand, altho hendo's is much more accurate and powerful with it..

I think its gonna look like machida vs bader... I mean, he too was lunging forward with his right hand, altho hendo's is much more accurate and powerful with it..
^^^ I think that is interesting, insightful commentary.... thank you.... ***

KarateStylist

PS *** I think also that lends great insight to the preparation for both competitors' gameplan.... including {ugh!} their cornermen....

------- And do you think, other than a competent MMA journalist like TSG, anyone in the MMA media will even begin to capture your concept so adroitly expressed here...???

KarateStylist reminding me why I don't post here anymore. Grand.

Extremely persistent trolling? Don't let it get you down, or, as the famous quote goes, "don't be scared, homie." This forum actually still has a fairly solid group of well intentioned posters, and only one KS, that's a good ratio!

On the original topic, in a 3 round fight, I don't think Dan is going to be able to stay on his feet when Machida wants him down, but I also would not be surprised to see a Rampage vs Machida type fight.

This. This is gonna be a one sided affair. Lyoto is gonna be 10 steps ahead the whole fight.

Lyoto by 2nd round ko/tko

This thread reminded me when Couture bought in a Karate expert to train for Machida. It didn't helped him at all. Unless somehow Hendo gained the knowledge of postioning and angles overnight, i see him losing. Or win a questionable decision like Rampage - Machida.

LOL was wondering what happened to you.....that explains alot lool

Yeah I like Hendo but I reckon The Dragon has this one.

I dont think he is a troll. I just think he has a difficult time organizing his ideas in a coherent fashion.

Machida is ever improving and confident. I think he takes a clear cut UD. Dan can KO any human being though. Most likely most wild animals to. Maybe not an elephant

That overhand is going to be near impossible for dan to land, as Machida is a south paw.

^^^ Machida Homework Question: Should 'Chida trade with Hendo? Or should Lyoto resort to his vintage elusiveness? Or what do you propose under Machida 'gameplan,' in the striking department?'

KarateStylist

I actually think Machida fare's better if he initiates exchanges and trades with Hendo (Hendo's got a 1 strike advantage, any more than 1 strike the advantage is clearly Machida's). Machida's clinch is very good, he has an excellent base and very controlled footwork and balance in the clinch. He's also physically a bigger guy than Hendo and I've never seen him muscled, over powered or dominated in the clinch by a dominating wrestler . He had no trouble in the clinch/tied up with Tito, Rashad, Randy, Bader or Jones, who are all excellent wrestlers and none of them where able to dominate Machida with wrestling. Hendo is without a doubt an excellent wrestler, but the greatest threat to Machida is the H-bomb, that big right hand. If Machida stays elusive, does the in-out cat n mouse fight, he only gives Hendo more opportunities to find that 1 shot that'll end the fight. Machida needs to get inside where he can exchange, clinch and take full advantage of his superior foot speed/footwork in close vs. at a distance where all he accomplishes is keeping the older, battle worn Hendo less physically exerted and more capable of finding the 1 shot that can end the fight. If he fights Hendo similar to how he fought Jones, attacks him comes forward and initiates exchanges, drives him into the fence...... It's probably a much easier night for Lyoto.

This. This is gonna be a one sided affair. Lyoto is gonna be 10 steps ahead the whole fight.

Lyoto by 2nd round ko/tko

Who have you ever seen in an "easy fight" against Hendo........ He's fought the best of the best, in multiple weight classes (usually as the smaller guy too), fought many/most of them at their primes and in 37+ fights he's never been KO'd......... To think for a second Lyoto gonna walk through Hendo and KO him early in the fight is awful short sighted....... I've never seen another MMA fighter who can take a shot like Hendo (Maybe a younger Nogiera). Hendo is one tough MF and is easily capable of beating any of the top level fighters at 185 or 205, even at this point in his career!
Lyoto underestimates Hendo even a little bit and he goes night-night, lucky for Lyoto he is far to intelligent of a fighter to be that dumb.

Last edited:
Machida is ever improving and confident. I think he takes a clear cut UD. Dan can KO any human being though. Most likely most wild animals to. Maybe not an elephant
Lol..... I dunno know, i'd take Hendo at 2-1 odds KOing the elephant.........

That overhand is going to be near impossible for dan to land, as Machida is a south paw.

Ask Manny Pacquiao if he agrees with that assessment?

A SP that likes to fire in-out, typically with a straight left, tall and narrow with his chin up.......... That's tailor made for an OH right.........

Who have you ever seen in an "easy fight" against Hendo........ He's fought the best of the best, in multiple weight classes (usually as the smaller guy too), fought many/most of them at their primes and in 37+ fights he's never been KO'd......... To think for a second Lyoto gonna walk through Hendo and KO him early in the fight is awful short sighted........

Has Dan fought anyone remotely closs to Lyoto in terms of style?

This thread has been bookmarked smart guy. And will be bumped after the fight.

You can count on that.

Has Dan fought anyone remotely closs to Lyoto in terms of style?

This thread has been bookmarked smart guy. And will be bumped after the fight.

You can count on that.

He's the only one Lyoto's ever fought that has been in the ring with A Silva, and other than Chael one of the very few who have ever dominated Silva for so much as a round.

Has Lyoto ever been in the ring with a fighter as experienced and accomplished as Dan Henderson? well.......... ?

So when your ready to "bump" this thread here's my prediction: If Machida wins, it is by UD! He wins by grinding out this fight, getting Hendo tied up in the clinch and working against the cage, (sweeps, trips, up and down fight). If the fight ends in a stoppage, Hendo wins!

Last edited:
He's the only one Lyoto's ever fought that has been in the ring with A Silva, and other than Chael one of the very few who have ever dominated Silva for so much as a round.

Has Lyoto ever been in the ring with a fighter as experienced and accomplished as Dan Henderson? well.......... ?

Remember what I said.

Who have you ever seen in an "easy fight" against Hendo........ He's fought the best of the best, in multiple weight classes (usually as the smaller guy too), fought many/most of them at their primes and in 37+ fights he's never been KO'd......... To think for a second Lyoto gonna walk through Hendo and KO him early in the fight is awful short sighted....... I've never seen another MMA fighter who can take a shot like Hendo (Maybe a younger Nogiera). Hendo is one tough MF and is easily capable of beating any of the top level fighters at 185 or 205, even at this point in his career!
Lyoto underestimates Hendo even a little bit and he goes night-night, lucky for Lyoto he is far to intelligent of a fighter to be that dumb.

Franklin had never been KO'd until Machida.
Thiago had never been KO'd until Machida.
Rashad had never been KO'd until Machida.
Bader had never been KO'd until Machida.

Saying it will be an easy fight is short sighted. Saying Hendo can't possibly be knocked out, given what Machida had been able to do to his past opponents, is also short sighted. Why Machida has so much success is that his style doesn't depend on 'going for it.' His style depends on the other fighter going for it and Machida doing what he always does.

I'm also not positive that 'clinch' strategy is the best for Machida. You say the 'in-out' gives Hendo his best chance... but Rampage's only success against Machida was clipping Machida when they exited the clinch.

I do agree with whoever said Machida should work on his sweeps. Putting Hendo on his back for a round will drastically ease things for the rest of the fight.

Lol..... I dunno know, i'd take Hendo at 2-1 odds KOing the elephant.........

Ask Manny Pacquiao if he agrees with that assessment?

A SP that likes to fire in-out, typically with a straight left, tall and narrow with his chin up.......... That's tailor made for an OH right.........

Exactly what I was thinking. If Dan can follow Machida on the way out then he can nail him. And God knows his chin can take whatever Machida has to give him.

I actually think Machida fare's better if he initiates exchanges and trades with Hendo (Hendo's got a 1 strike advantage, any more than 1 strike the advantage is clearly Machida's). Machida's clinch is very good, he has an excellent base and very controlled footwork and balance in the clinch. He's also physically a bigger guy than Hendo and I've never seen him muscled, over powered or dominated in the clinch by a dominating wrestler . He had no trouble in the clinch/tied up with Tito, Rashad, Randy, Bader or Jones, who are all excellent wrestlers and none of them where able to dominate Machida with wrestling. Hendo is without a doubt an excellent wrestler, but the greatest threat to Machida is the H-bomb, that big right hand. If Machida stays elusive, does the in-out cat n mouse fight, he only gives Hendo more opportunities to find that 1 shot that'll end the fight. Machida needs to get inside where he can exchange, clinch and take full advantage of his superior foot speed/footwork in close vs. at a distance where all he accomplishes is keeping the older, battle worn Hendo less physically exerted and more capable of finding the 1 shot that can end the fight. If he fights Hendo similar to how he fought Jones, attacks him comes forward and initiates exchanges, drives him into the fence...... It's probably a much easier night for Lyoto.

I agree the in and out may not work against hendo, hendo is known for his chin and while lyoto would rack up points...it just gives dan more opp to get his timing and land that big shot when lyoto is entering or exiting.

Lyoto may be better off with that first strike to get hendo def, sweep him and control him or pound him out. Dan may only have one real threat, but he is very good at setting it up...everyone knows its coming and everyone still gets caught. Which is really impressive given the level off opposition.

Back