Lyoto Machida vs Dan Henderson (stand up)

I doubt i will get matt browned again since that's probably the last time i'm able to come in to that class. But thanks for the comments, anyway. I'd like to see you forget your meds a bit more, tbh.
^^^ I'm totally OK with that, 'lil bro....

^^^ And tnx for taking it easy on me.... again, nice writeup on your part re Hendo's power right....

KarateStylist

Also, Rua did most of his work with his legs. Punches simply aren't quick enough to catch Lyoto going backwards.

Also, Rua did most of his work with his legs. Punches simply aren't quick enough to catch Lyoto going backwards.

I agree, the only way to really catch Lyoto clean going backwards is coming out of the clinch (or having JJones reach). Again, why it is so imperative to get his back to the fence if you want to have any chance at landing damaging shots with your hands. If ya want to hit him, you either counter him coming forward or put his back to the fence and take away his space........ and trying to counter him coming forward is a far greater risk vs. reward strategy.

Hendo gameplan (pretty much the same one he's used in every fight): go forward, H-bomb, miss, immediately grab
& hold on to anything you can, drive toward fence as fast as possible, dirty box, dont let go, drag down, beat up............ oh yeah, and don't get clipped, tripped or sweeped in the process........ eh, seems simple enough. :eek:

Over 100 posts in this thread, and the fight hasn't even happend. I just hope for all our sakes one of them doesn't get injured. Then we'd all look like idiots

Why is it when I'm around the guns come out loool

EDIT: I just realised I'm few pages too late for that comment.....ignore me :(

If there is one single thing IMO that is necessary in a gameplan to beat Machida: YOU HAVE TO TAKE AWAY HIS SPACE AND MAKE HIM FIGHT GOING BACKWARDS. Give him space and time, he's gonna make you pay for it. This is what makes him so difficult to fight, he's so quick on his feet and an extremely accurate striker that taking away his space requires going forward aggressively and avoiding walking into a shot. Much like Anderson Silva, you have to take the fight to him and get him on the defensive. Give him time and space, your done for. Hendo had the right strategy against Silva the first round and it worked. He made the mistake in the second round of giving Anderson time and he got caught. I assure you he'll be making mental note of that fight when he gets in there with Machida........ Hence, why the winner of this fight is the guy who keeps his back off the fence and off the mat IMO.

Problem is Dan is not fast on his feet. And Machida can fight on the back foot, he does it very well. He doesn't strike that well at closer ranges aside from the odd knee to the body so Hendo has to get through the long range at which Machida excels to have a chance. But I just don't think he has the speed or the foot work to cut down the octagon enough to be able to corral Machida and land that right hand on him. Hendo caught up with Bisping because Mike kept circling into that right hand and doesn't throw dissuasive enough strikes to be able to keep someone like Hendo at bay. Machida however is very good at this. Silva was surprised by Hendos pressure and I see that as Hendos only chance.

1. Yeah, in theory that was the blueprint. But it's far from a flawless design and really it only applies to a very specific kind of fighter, namely Shogun. Shogun has a unique ability to come forward aggressively while putting together a diverse offensive attack, it's one of his greatest attributes as a fighter. Much like a younger Belfort, only not as fast but far more dynamic. Shogun can incorporate his legs into his attack and can put a lot more power into each individual shot while he's rushing forward, and he does so very controlled and methodically, he doesn't just flail away. Shogun used that ability to attack aggressively coming forward and he got Machida frustrated, which led to Machida being over aggressive and far less calculated than he typically is....... Hence, Shogun set up the counter.

2. IMO, the worst strategy you could possibly have against Machida is to wait on him and look for the counter........ He wins that battle 99% of the time against anyone in the UFC. Shogun was able to come forward and attack Machida, and that's what gave him the opportunity to counter him. If there is one single thing IMO that is necessary in a gameplan to beat Machida: YOU HAVE TO TAKE AWAY HIS SPACE AND MAKE HIM FIGHT GOING BACKWARDS. Give him space and time, he's gonna make you pay for it. This is what makes him so difficult to fight, he's so quick on his feet and an extremely accurate striker that taking away his space requires going forward aggressively and avoiding walking into a shot. Much like Anderson Silva, you have to take the fight to him and get him on the defensive. Give him time and space, your done for. Hendo had the right strategy against Silva the first round and it worked. He made the mistake in the second round of giving Anderson time and he got caught. I assure you he'll be making mental note of that fight when he gets in there with Machida........ Hence, why the winner of this fight is the guy who keeps his back off the fence and off the mat IMO.

edit:repetitive....

KarateStylist

Last edited:
Problem is Dan is not fast on his feet. And Machida can fight on the back foot, he does it very well. He doesn't strike that well at closer ranges aside from the odd knee to the body so Hendo has to get through the long range at which Machida excels to have a chance. But I just don't think he has the speed or the foot work to cut down the octagon enough to be able to corral Machida and land that right hand on him. Hendo caught up with Bisping because Mike kept circling into that right hand and doesn't throw dissuasive enough strikes to be able to keep someone like Hendo at bay. Machida however is very good at this. Silva was surprised by Hendos pressure and I see that as Hendos only chance.

Well said, agreed. Why it is really Machidas fight to lose. Hendo can't realistically
win this fight (short of a miracle) any other way than to pressure Machida and make it an ugly fight, foot stomping, hand over mouth, brawl.....! As said, he's got to make it a war. Hendo won't win a tactical fight against Lyoto, but he will win an ugly war.

In summation, time to leave this thread. War Hendo!
Dan_Henderson-Anyweight-Anytime.jpg

Back