Lying on resume

Calling UC Berkeley "KAL", the Bears the "59ers" and Berkeley "Oakland" is a long held tradition at Stanford.

the amount of money piling in Stanford the last few years is absurd. They almost bought a large portion of Roosevelt Island in NYC to build a hospital in NYC, a few years back.
Haha! That's fucken rad, did not know that.

Maybe I'd have heard the 59ers nomer if I kept up with football, but what's the significance of that number?

Lol, Cal is in Berkeley, but yes, Oakland is in dire straits, still. Some major road paving fuckin finally, but shit's so overdue it's bonkers.

And yeah, Stanford does well and has made major improvements last few years, has some new buildings going up currently and just always has something going on, although same is true of Cal.
Oakland is gentrifying like crazy, 10 years and it’ll be mostly tech workers

I had a friend who would just edit his resume to fit exactly what the companies were looking for. He was still young so instead of saying he had a degree he just said he was still in school with like 1 year left. Anytime a company would call he would just youtube everything he put on his resume to get a general idea and go interview. He got a very high level job and makes a lot of money and is doing great.

Oakland is gentrifying like crazy, 10 years and it’ll be mostly tech workers
You're right. Maybe not mostly, but you're right. I moved out after 9 years. The billion dollar Chinese investment deal to revamp JLS (Jack London Square) that then mayor Jerry Brown started and went through after he was back as governor is in full swing and I barely recognize that area now when driving past on the Nimitz. So many new condo buildings it's mind-blowing, and the huge one next to the old 9th Ave terminal bldg (Brooklyn Basin, prolly named to pull in the east coast hipsters) is wild.

Alameda has plans to demo and reno the portion of town along Clement Ave right across the channel from Oakland too but I haven't read up on that lately.

You're right. Maybe not mostly, but you're right. I moved out after 9 years. The billion dollar Chinese investment deal to revamp JLS (Jack London Square) that then mayor Jerry Brown started and went through after he was back as governor is in full swing and I barely recognize that area now when driving past on the Nimitz. So many new condo buildings it's mind-blowing, and the huge one next to the old 9th Ave terminal bldg (Brooklyn Basin, prolly named to pull in the east coast hipsters) is wild.

Alameda has plans to demo and reno the portion of town along Clement Ave right across the channel from Oakland too but I haven't read up on that lately.
Yeah it’s crazy, it’s like all condos now

Haha! That's fucken rad, did not know that.

Maybe I'd have heard the 59ers nomer if I kept up with football, but what's the significance of that number?

I don't actually know. I think it's a Stanford joke about KAL being one step behind or fucking stuff up. Maybe @Graves knows since he lived in Palo Alto and went to KAL.

Stanfurd Junior University, ah yes.

I remember when we sent the pledges from the frat I was in at CAL in '77 to steal the goalposts from the old Stanfurd stadium.
it was a rickety old place with one ancient security guard. easy pickin's. kids came back with the wooden goal posts with the school
name emblazoned on them. they were proudly displayed on our front deck for the rest of the season.

not to be outdone, the following years pledges snuck into the stadium before the Big Game and using bleach, spelled out a gigantic
CAL in white, withered grass letters. hilarious.

Stanfurd Junior University, ah yes.

I remember when we sent the pledges from the frat I was in at CAL in '77 to steal the goalposts from the old Stanfurd stadium.
it was a rickety old place with one ancient security guard. easy pickin's. kids came back with the wooden goal posts with the school
name emblazoned on them. they were proudly displayed on our front deck for the rest of the season.

not to be outdone, the following years pledges snuck into the stadium before the Big Game and using bleach, spelled out a gigantic
CAL in white, withered grass letters. hilarious.

The old Stanford stadium was no more difficult to get into in 1999/2000. When track at Angel field was over crowding for workouts they would spill over to the track in Stanford Stadium.

I haven't been to the new stadium yet. It doesn't have a track. It's built just for football.

Did you hear the LSJUMB band has been banned for the season? It's a travesty.

giphy.gif

lol that would happen repeatedly over the years.
rascals.
and I might add that in the 80s some stanfurd nerds came to lower Sproul Plaza and stole the fucking
wood carved Golden Bear.
must have been engineering students or some advised by them.
the thing was 15 ft high, weighed a ton and was anchored to a concrete pedestal.
tenor.gif

impressive

lol that would happen repeatedly over the years.
rascals.
and I might add that in the 80s some stanfurd nerds came to lower Sproul Plaza and stole the fucking
wood carved Golden Bear.
must have been engineering students or some advised by them.
the thing was 15 ft high, weighed a ton and was anchored to a concrete pedestal.
tenor.gif

impressive

Cal fans stole the Stanford tree a few years ago.

IMG_8867%20trees%2010-25-2014%20stanford%20stadium.JPG

When Stanford got it back, they put it through a wood chipper.

LMAO. Probably something to do with the school allowing the left wing crazies to run the asylum over there in Oakland.

FWIW - Last year I spoke to a friend that is still at Stanford (research/teaching) and he said that money is coming in so fast they don't know what to do with it. They decided to raise $2.5B and before it was formally announced half was already committed by donors so the school said, "fuck it, let's make it $3.5B".

I’m a Bruin, and I remember when I was applying for schools as an undergrad and I got into UCLA and Cal, I was debating between UCLA and Cal. I spoke to a friend who was a few years older than me and he had graduated from Cal a couple years earlier and I asked him his take on Cal, he was like, “Dude, go to UCLA. I kinda regret not going there. He’s like people are weird up there and the girls are not attractive, at all.” I was always leaning towards UCLA but Cal had this reputation of being the best public school in the country and it would look good on resumès. I ended up at UCLA and it does appear that Cal has lost a bit of its mystic and UCLA continues to be the most applied school in the land.

I have 2 friends who work for Cisco. Theyre roommates. Their other roommate works for cisco as well. We all went out for drinks one night and got to talking about how they got their jobs. They started busting the roomates balls because he apparently lied on his resume about getting his bachelors from uc Berkeley, when in reality he has no college degree. I was shocked. His guy has been working at cisco, making a 6 figure salary, plus bonuses for 3 years and he just flat out lied on his resume regarding his education. Got me thinking about if the student loans were worth it
Student loans? Maybe not worth it. Lying on a resume? Not a good idea.

actually never heard that.
thinking TRD, who never even went to the school btw, is making shit up as he goes along.

he's intelligent enough to have been a professor there IMO but not sure he ever attended.
maybe post grad?

Last edited:
Off the top of my head? If someone made a “Modest Proposal” reference, or any other reference to classical literature. Sure, someone who didn’t go to college may be able to get some of those. But most will not have read it.

Or in California, depending on when you went, references to the writing proficiency exam or wpj exam. Especially if they call it the wpj. Someone who didn’t go to college and graduate in the past 8 to 10 years is just not going to know wtf that means, kind of like how someone who hasn’t ever used the internet wouldn’t know what wtf means.

Those are just two off the top of my head. How about the experience of adding classes late because you didn’t register early enough? I could go on, but why bother? You’re just going to say I’m wrong anyway.

Additionally, people who mix up “there”, “they’re”, and “their” are obvious candidates for the “I barely graduated high school” crowd.
Breh you replied to me back in 2017. The first part of my post was a legitimate question: as I said, I had an atypical college experience.

The second part was obviously a joke, which you seemed to get two years ago!

It's crazy how competitive UCs are getting. The average high school GPA for even the shittier ones is over 4.0 now.

If you have the balls i guess it'd be very easy..

If i were to switch jobs right now no one would ask for my grades..

At my first interview for my company (about 200m$y which is ok for a swedish construction company) it was for an internship..

That internship was the last part of education.. i requested a meeting before it ended just to know if they were gonna keep me or not..

They hired me.. never showed my grades.. for all they know i could've have watched netflix for 2 years..

I lied when I said I was driven and dedicated. I’m sitting on sherdog, wishing this place would catch fire

I have 2 friends who work for Cisco. Theyre roommates. Their other roommate works for cisco as well. We all went out for drinks one night and got to talking about how they got their jobs. They started busting the roomates balls because he apparently lied on his resume about getting his bachelors from uc Berkeley, when in reality he has no college degree. I was shocked. His guy has been working at cisco, making a 6 figure salary, plus bonuses for 3 years and he just flat out lied on his resume regarding his education. Got me thinking about if the student loans were worth it

It depends. He lucked out and by now, with a 6 fig salary, he needs to just drop it from the resume altogether, not like anyone will be looking much past his experience. I know after eleven years in the workforce nobody gives a flying, running, walking or even a crawling fuck about my uni education.

I wouldn't play with that shit but, honestly, I'm not even sure this shit gets vetted anymore. All these resumes get parsed by AI first, people hiring have a fuckton of other shit to do - in places as big as Cisco, anyways - and I'm not even remotely surprised he's been able to do that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back