LOST revisited

Probably because of the writers strike. You thought Lost got hit bad, try watching Heroes last couple of seasons, holy fuck did they ruin that show.

Lost for me was always about the discussions and speculations which occurred after each episode. The show was great but the fan following was even greater. I used to watch the first 4-5 seasons weekly and sorta stopped watching the last couple. Eventually got to binge watching the final seasons and I am so glad I waited until it was all released already. One of the GOAT tv shows, imo...
I absolutely loved Lost from beginning to end when I first saw it. In hindsight I kind of hate it. Breaking Bad was a great show to discuss since everything was so purposeful, but knowing that Lost was written on random whims with no real goal kind of kills any discussion you could have. They left so many loose strings and never intended on delivering any closure, just meant the majority of the show's mystery was unearned. A mystery has to have an explanation to have any value, even if it's ambiguous and is left a mystery, Lost's mysteries were hollow and meaningless.

Abrams has talked extensively about writing mysteries that have no answer because the fun is the mystery itself, but that's bullshit. Sure retaining mystery is fine by not revealing everything, but only delivering half the mystery makes it pointless. Like saying a joke's punchline without the setup, it doesn't work. That said, I still have a soft spot for the show and appreciate all they did right.

Lost is fucking awesome, it ages well too.

I absolutely loved Lost from beginning to end when I first saw it. In hindsight I kind of hate it. Breaking Bad was a great show to discuss since everything was so purposeful, but knowing that Lost was written on random whims with no real goal kind of kills any discussion you could have. They left so many loose strings and never intended on delivering any closure, just meant the majority of the show's mystery was unearned. A mystery has to have an explanation to have any value, even if it's ambiguous and is left a mystery, Lost's mysteries were hollow and meaningless.

Abrams has talked extensively about writing mysteries that have no answer because the fun is the mystery itself, but that's bullshit. Sure retaining mystery is fine by not revealing everything, but only delivering half the mystery makes it pointless. Like saying a joke's punchline without the setup, it doesn't work. That said, I still have a soft spot for the show and appreciate all they did right.

Abrams often gets a lot of the credit for Lost but he had basically nothing to do with the show creatively after getting off the ground. It was Cuse and Lindeloffs baby. Abrams even said they had a "Lost bible" that was the lore and everything and by the end of the show almost nothing from the "bible" was in the show.

Probably because of the writers strike. You thought Lost got hit bad, try watching Heroes last couple of seasons, holy fuck did they ruin that show.

Lost for me was always about the discussions and speculations which occurred after each episode. The show was great but the fan following was even greater. I used to watch the first 4-5 seasons weekly and sorta stopped watching the last couple. Eventually got to binge watching the final seasons and I am so glad I waited until it was all released already. One of the GOAT tv shows, imo...

I think I've read somewhere that many of the original writers left the series between seasons 4-5. Is that true? I remember that there is one point in Lost (the first few episodes from season 5) that begins to feel like an entirely different series.

I don't mind an open ending or nuances that are open to subjectivity or if they decide to left a few mysteries without remove the veil... but at one point the series begins to get a little uncreative (they unjustifiably just started to throw too much sci-fi out of nowhere) and lose connection with its former premise.

I only got through the 1st season in April when I tried this but now I'm doing it all the way.

Damn I'm really enjoying the flashbacks this time around and finding new meaning in them when usually people I've talked to who binge this say they just skip through them to the Island goings on.

I was glued to this series live, but it gets too confusing and the ending was shitty.

LOST is the show that got me into binge watching shows. I never bothered with any highly hyped shows until I was uber bored and decided to give Lost a try, maybe 2 years ago.

Damn, did I get hooked. I watched the entire show in maybe like 10 days, if that. And then the ending............brutal.

The first like 80% of the show is GOAT television. the last 20% really brings it down from a 10/10 to an 8/10

Same. Before streaming existed, my wife's assistant gave her seasons 1-4 on DVD and we binged that fuck out of them and caught up with 5 live.

I was glued to this series live, but it gets too confusing and the ending was shitty.
Right I was that way at first but when I rewatched it a few times alot of stuff fell in to place for me and i enjoyed it alot more than the first time around, is what I'm saying.

it started off great, fascinating
then they started throwing in tons of filler
and they made a plot so complex they didnt know how to end it well
so they ended it like shit

I loved the series. A lot of it has some subtle biblical stories/undertones that people who haven’t read the Bible will never notice. Awesome show..

This show introduced me to Evangeline Lily. I've loved her ever since.

<{1-7}>

Sawyer was my favorite character. I always wanted the group to follow him

For sure Sawyer and Locke over Jack.

Same. Before streaming existed, my wife's assistant gave her seasons 1-4 on DVD and we binged that fuck out of them and caught up with 5 live.
I wish I could go back and watch the show for the first time again

Terrible show.

A perfect example of writing "mysterious," nonsensical plots, failing to substantiate or tie them up in any meaningful way, and leaving it to a rabid fan base to try and justify such abject failure.

The perfect example of a show that can only offer "You don't get it," as a rebuttal to it's cheap purgatory-esque ending.

Seasons 1-4 are GOAT tv.. Then it just took a nosedive into the shitter.

Lost was great for it's time. So many websites were up, talking about different theories from week to week. I did fall off after about 4 seasons however. The flash backs and forwards just got too confusing. Ended up watching until the end but I think the "writers strike" and having to drag the show on for so long didn't help it's greatness. Same can be said for Heroes and Prison Break in the same era.

Some epic Ben Linus compilations on YouTube. Deserves his own thread tbh.

Back