LOST revisited

hahaha yeah, i know that that's a common opinion, but it's not one that i share.
Hey, I would celebrate the couple early seasons with you but I can't because It's not an opinion, the writers admitted to it.

I've watched it twice. It was the greatest TV watching experience IMO. I'm probably in the minority, but I feel like a bit is lost when it's binged as opposed to watching it week to week, season finale to season premiere.

I started watching it a few months ago...started off very intriguing, but eventually I just lost interest even by the end of the season 1. Partially that may have been because I was already aware of it's poor reputation (ie. in terms of never reaching any kind of satisfying conclusion) but I just found it be extremely meandering and ultimately not that engaging after the initial rush and intrigue of the early episodes.

Hey, I would celebrate the couple early seasons with you but I can't because It's not an opinion, the writers admitted to it.
i mean, i simply don't buy that. even accepting the story you posted at face value, "the writers" didn't admit to having no central themes, nothing that could be concretely analyzed, and just filling the show with meaningless nonsense that could be used to justify any interpretation.

The first four seasons were absolutely great but the last two seemed written by Mr. Burns' monkeys.

mr-burns-monkeys-typewriters1-640x381.jpg

i mean, i simply don't buy that. even accepting the story you posted at face value, "the writers" didn't admit to having no central themes, nothing that could be concretely analyzed, and just filling the show with meaningless nonsense that could be used to justify any interpretation.

https://www.cracked.com/article_19043_6-classic-series-you-didnt-know-were-made-up-fly_p2.html

Season 1 writer David Fury (there's that guy again) says he has no idea what "the numbers" meant, and he's the one who came up with them.

"There was no mythology to speak of in place during the early episodes of the series. We were building it as we went along, discussing possibilities.

How did a guy who made Felicity gained enough clout to have this green lighted?

I feel like if the finale sucked, they should just reshoot an alternate ending.

Ok so I just rewatched all of LOST.

When this show first came out, I remember not ever wanting to watch it because I was being a contrarian and didn't want to jump on the hype train.

So after the series ended a few years later I binged it on Netflix. Damn I loved the first few seasons and was instantly hooked.

But as we all know they were writing by the seat of their pants so to speak and the later seasons got a bit muddled because of that, then the ending which pretty much everyone hated.

I am rethinking my opinion of the later seasons and the end now that I had time for hindsight and retrospective analysis of the show while following along with the rewatch and understanding things more clearly the second time around.

If you guys hated it the first time around, try it a second time, you might be surprised.

I like the ending alot more now than i did the first time around, and to illustrate this point I really think this Analysis here is spot on:

The show repeatedly hammers home the idea that peoples' belief systems are created by their relationship to their parents.

Jack is compelled to fix things through sheer force of personal agency because his father told him he doesn't "have what it takes". Locke desperately needs to believe he has a destiny because he craves a cosmic father figure after his own scammed him out of a kidney. Both fathers are conmen, even if Christian Shepherd had the ostensibly noble motive of giving his son the drive to succeed. Like the historical John Locke wrote, people are all born as blank slates, with our parents as the authors of our personalities.

As the show wears on it becomes apparent that two godlike figures, Jacob and his brother, are playing a cosmic game, with the castaways as pawns. Through unfathomable rules these beings appear and, like conmen, psychologically manipulate the pieces to get them to act according to some ineffable stratagem. The remote and aloof Jacob pushes people into Jack's path while staying removed and letting Jack figure things out for himself, which is all Jack wanted in a father; the Man in Black, meanwhile, is constantly encouraging Locke to embrace his destiny as a savior and as a messiah, which is all Locke wanted in a father. These cons/games may seem cruel and callous, and yet the Island's mysterious golden heart appears to be safe and everybody appears to have worked out their psychological issues. So, are Jacob and the Man in Black ultimately good, evil, or merely mortal men with godlike powers playing out a petty sibling rivalry?

The answer is that there is no answer. There are as many individual rubrics and value systems for deciding 'meaning' as there are human beings. The only constant is this world we share, and the actions we undertake.

It is a person's emotional baggage that shapes their view of that world. An ambiguous situation may be accepted as proof or rejected as a liesaccording to whatever filtering system is bubbling under a person's conscious mind. The central theme of the show is dealing that baggage, because it makes a person vulnerable and easily deluded by charlatans, shamans, and con men. Something the historical John Locke also had quite a bit to say about.

The show's ambiguity is meant for the audience just as much as it is the characters. Recall the final scene, where Jack reconciles with his father under a stained glass window with different religious symbols all radiating out from a central, archetypal light. Just like The Hero with a Thousand Faces speaks of the world-soul and the navel of the universe in vague terms to encompass all the different cultural variations on the archetype, the show dresses up its archetypal story of conflict between fathers and sons, heroes and gods, and free will versus destiny with allusions to mythology, religion, and popular fiction.

By not limiting the story to a set "answer", it frees the story to become anything and everything a viewer can see in it, like a Rohrschach test [Spoiler\]

I love the show. There's stuff beyond the storyline, which, admittedly, got stranger by the season, a certain aesthetic, a certain mood and atmosphere it set, that I just found enjoyable. I realize that, from any rational point of view, going through a plane crash and having to go through what all the characters went through doesn't make for a pleasant experience whatsoever, but I'll be damned if I didn't wish I'd been on that island right along with them. Also, Josh Holloway is a handsome motherfucker, if I dare say so myself

I binged this show when I first got Netflix or Hulu ... was good ... got a little weird towards the end with like the fast forwarding of time or whatever that was when they didn’t push the button ( been awhile think that’s how it went) ... anyways pergatory doesn’t seem so bad

I've watched it twice. It was the greatest TV watching experience IMO. I'm probably in the minority, but I feel like a bit is lost when it's binged as opposed to watching it week to week, season finale to season premiere.

I started just as the final season was coming out so I binge-watched as well, one of the days I watched 16 episodes. I've never before nor since seen a show that bingable

I thought that show was patently absurd from like episode 1

it didn't get 'crazy' it always was
There was a polar bear somehow living on a tropical island, 1, and there was a literal 'smoke monster' ffs

I love the show. There's stuff beyond the storyline, which, admittedly, got stranger by the season, a certain aesthetic, a certain mood and atmosphere it set, that I just found enjoyable. I realize that, from any rational point of view, going through a plane crash and having to go through what all the characters went through doesn't make for a pleasant experience whatsoever, but I'll be damned if I didn't wish I'd been on that island right along with them. Also, Josh Holloway is a handsome motherfucker, if I dare say so myself
That's why he gets to bang Kate ANDZ Juliet. All's Jack got was winded from wandering around the island.

Recently, long after the show concluded, I read a surrealistic novel by Haruki Murakami called KAFKA ON THE SHORE, which I am dead certain (without having actual proof) is the inspiration for LOST. It's got a creepy parasitic monster, people existing outside of time and even themselves, special stones, forest portals, weirdo rules, that maddening lack of solidity. I have yet to find anyone who's read the book and watched the series to agree with me, tho. My white whale is to run into the show creators and confirm this.

Recently, long after the show concluded, I read a surrealistic novel by Haruki Murakami called KAFKA ON THE SHORE, which I am dead certain (without having actual proof) is the inspiration for LOST. It's got a creepy parasitic monster, people existing outside of time and even themselves, special stones, forest portals, weirdo rules, that maddening lack of solidity. I have yet to find anyone who's read the book and watched the series to agree with me, tho. My white whale is to run into the show creators and confirm this.
Sounds like an interesting read. Ill pick it up

I started just as the final season was coming out so I binge-watched as well, one of the days I watched 16 episodes. I've never before nor since seen a show that bingable

For sure, I guess a clearer way to say my point is when I binged it with a friend that had never seen it, I realised that she never can get that feeling of week to week ruminating over what's going on and having theories, when a press of a button nixes that.

Lost is a great show. It wasn't perfect for the reasons you mentioned in the OP but it was still fucking great. Watching it all at once without having to wait in between seasons IMO is the best way to watch it (and most shows honestly).

The first four seasons were absolutely great but the last two seemed written by Mr. Burns' monkeys.

mr-burns-monkeys-typewriters1-640x381.jpg
Probably because of the writers strike. You thought Lost got hit bad, try watching Heroes last couple of seasons, holy fuck did they ruin that show.

Lost for me was always about the discussions and speculations which occurred after each episode. The show was great but the fan following was even greater. I used to watch the first 4-5 seasons weekly and sorta stopped watching the last couple. Eventually got to binge watching the final seasons and I am so glad I waited until it was all released already. One of the GOAT tv shows, imo...

Back