Lost 57lbs in 4 months... and still going.

frettish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see people with their weight loss diaries and decided to start one for myself.

A little background: I was very active growing up (hockey, soccer, (bjj), etc) but always fighting against below average genes / slow metabolism. I'm about 6'1 and my frame is nicely suited for about a 210 lb body. (If I were fighting I'd fight at 185.)

When I was at tip top shape I was about 190lbs. The last time I weighed that much I was a freshman in college. I gained about 30lbs in college, then another 30 after college... then I got a job that was nothing but being on a computer and talking on a phone for 10 hours a day. Around this time I was also out on my own, eating fast food and carry out for litterally 90% of my meals. I no longer did any sports or exercised for a number of years.

Earlier this year I clocked in a 340lbs. I had gained about 150 lbs in 5-6 years total.

My plan was very simple because I didn't want to do any fad diet or excersize program. I wanted to simply change my way of life and start doing something I could do forevever. I also wanted to lose the weight at a consistant rate and keep it off.

My excersize consisted of starting around 15 minutes of cardio 3 days a week. Each week adding a little time, adding a little intensity, and eventually increasing frequency per week. At this point I am at 65 minutes, 6 days per week. I will probably continue to add until I get to 90. And after that, just increasing the intensity to include sprints and such.

I will post my diet in detail at another time, but a basic rundown is basically a bowl of whole grain total for breakfast, tuna (or some other lean meat) sandwhiches and a pickle for lunch, and then either a lean steak or chicken for dinner w/ veggies. Sometimes I'd have eggs for dinner. In between these meals I will about 2 snacks a day such as cottage cheese or apple sauce to a) take away my hunger, and b) keep the metabolsim rolling.

I started this in July, and these are my numbers thus far.

Start - 340
Week #01 -4
Week #02 -4
Week #03 -0
Week #04 -10
Week #05 -0
Week #06 -2
Week #07 -2
Week #08 -4
Week #09 -7
Week #10 -3
Week #11 -1
Week #12 -5
Week #13 -3
Week #14 -5
Week #15 -3
Week #16 -4

-57 Total.

I have absolutely no idea what happened during that 0,-10,0 run. It wasn't cheating on the two 0 weeks, and it wasn't because I worked out any harder in the -10 week than I did on the 0 weeks. It's a mystery to me. I weighed myself every week on the same scale wearing approx the same clothes.

Anyway, I am 283 now and my goal is 255 by Jan 1st... and longer term, it's 210 by the end of March. If I can get back to my "normal" weight after gaining that much and being so inactive for so long in less than a year I am going to be very pleased. But for now, just working on getting past December. Going to be hard with the holidays coming up but I've been very good in "tempting" situations thus far.

EDIT: Might I add that the reason I registered here in 2003 was because at that time I was attempting to "get back into shape" -- it wasn't until 2 years later (and probably another 35lbs gained) that I actually stuck to it for more than a week!

Good job so far, keep it up. Take it one day at a time, and I'm sure you will reach your goal

hey frettish your weight loss plan sounds interesting. im looking forward to seeing your food chart or diary. i have same problem as you.

Keep it up. Hang in there. You're getting results and it will continue because you have a good plan and realistic expectations of yourself.

Man you should have taken some before and after photos and posted them. I did this a while back taking a photo every month on the same day for six months. I put it into a slide show and it is neat to see the transformation of the body. I however, got to the weight I wanted to and started slaking and gained it all back damn it!!

cbdk said:
Man you should have taken some before and after photos and posted them. I did this a while back taking a photo every month on the same day for six months. I put it into a slide show and it is neat to see the transformation of the body. I however, got to the weight I wanted to and started slaking and gained it all back damn it!!

This weekend, I have been eating like shit. I can feel myself getting fatter by the minute. I almost want to try liposuction on myself now.

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.

cbdk said:
Man you should have taken some before and after photos and posted them.

I have some photos at about the "-25lbs stage". So they're not "peak fatty" photos, but they're still pretty brutal. Maybe after I crack 250 I'll take some more and put them up.

What gets me is that all these competitions you see on TV... VH1 Celebrity fit club, etc... I think I could have won one of those shows. Even without putting fitness and eating right as my absolute number one priorty (though it is high up there), and without the facilities and resources these contestants have available to them for weight loss, I am beating a lot of these people on TV. I know that I lost more weight quicker than the last Fit Club winner, Phil Margera (Bam's Dad.) If I were on a show where the only goal of mine was to lose weight, I think I coulda busted some shit up! haha.

LCDforMe said:
This weekend, I have been eating like shit. I can feel myself getting fatter by the minute. I almost want to try liposuction on myself now.
damn sounds like me... then i just get lazy and eat what i want hahah... but hang in there man

Good job. What are you doing for cardio, treadmill? Also, do you cycle your calories or try to keep them even from day to day?

my big toe said:
Good job. What are you doing for cardio, treadmill? Also, do you cycle your calories or try to keep them even from day to day?

I do different things for cardio. A mix of the bike, treadmill, and eliptical machine. Whatever I do, I try to keep my heart rate above 150. I can usually guage the intensity by my sweats -- there's usually hardly a dry spot on my shirt if I've had a good cardio session.

As far as cycling calories, I honestly do not know how many I am taking in a day. I was taking in such a ridiculous amount of calories previous to this from eating fast food and carry out every day that just eating "normal" food was enough for me to start losing weight.

I imagine that as I continue to lose more weight, I am going to need to tweak my diet a bit to avoid plateaus. If I had to guess, my calories from one day to the next are probably within 300-400 calories of eachother depending on what I eat. So maybe that is considered "cycling"?

Brand Nizzle said:
Seems almost unhealthy.

Yeah, it'd probably be a good idea to maintain for a while. Cutting this long isn't recommended.

losing 10lbs in a week aint very healthy if you ask me...
but you seem to have the heart and know what your doing so keep it up...
pain is temporary
glory is forever

Madmick said:
Yeah, it'd probably be a good idea to maintain for a while. Cutting this long isn't recommended.

Seriously? I am still well over 50 lbs over weight. What problems would I run in to?

frettish said:
Seriously? I am still well over 50 lbs over weight. What problems would I run in to?
Nothing wrong. A doctor would probably encourage you to keep it up.

If you're worried about losing muscle start measuring your bodyfat and adjust your calorie levels until your losing only bodyfat. I think "Accu-measure" bodyfat calipers only run about twenty bucks, so it might be worth looking into.

Cool... oddly enough, I went on vacation last week and though I ate well, I am sure I was taking in more calories than normal. So, time to get back on this beast today. Not looking forward to going to the gym, but I'll force myself as usual. :(

definitely a freakish amount of weight to lose in such a short time. i would gather with that regimend you are gaining some kind of body muscle tone, at least in parts of your legs, which would have me believe you've actually lost a lot more than 57 lbs....

you've dumped 200,000 KCals in 4 months. that's about about 1600 calories per day. so either you're running a fucking lot, or your diet has really cut the fuck down.

Back