Losing fat the right way.

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
After Christmas my main aim is to lose fat. My main goals this year are for size / strength gains, but I never want to get any fatter than i am now, so if i want to eat a surplus and get big, i have to lose some fat first.

I expect my workout plan to look like this

M Weights
T TKD
W Boxing
T Cardio
F Weights
S rest
S rest

Obviously that is a big work load if your eating under maintenance. Previously I was doing alot of heavy 1RM work, but im not sure that is a good idea. When I start trying to gain mass im going to use a 5x5 program, so I could start with that now, but that seems like alot of volume.

So what kind of weights program is best if you are trying to lose weight? High intensity, High volume or a slightly lower intensity one? I could possibly add in another weights day on the wednesday after boxing, but I think this might be too much, as my recovery might suffer

EDIT: I know losing weight is mostly defendant on diet, but I will adjust that accordingly. What im not sure on is what kind of weights training to do

What are your numbers, bodyweight, and height right now? And how long have you been lifting?

Obviously that is a big work load if your eating under maintenance.

No it's not.

Previously I was doing alot of heavy 1RM work, but im not sure that is a good idea.

Probably not. Was that even working for you before, when you did it?

What im not sure on is what kind of weights training to do

You could look into 5/3/1 potentially. But you should answer the questions in the post above.

I'm curious what the end goal is. Do you do boxing and tkd both once a week as a hobby or are there ever plans for competition? What do you mean by cardio? If you are wanting to cut bodyfat it seems like conditioning could be done on the same days as lifting and you could do both 3 times a week. And how long do boxing and tkd last, what do you do in the classes?

As Jesus said. Sixpacks are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Caravaggio_Jesus.jpg

Weasel is right. Jesus knew what the fuck he was talking about.

What are your numbers, bodyweight, and height right now? And how long have you been lifting?

I am 19, 160 lbs, 5'10". I have been lifting for years, but had 18 months off due to injury and Have only been training since September. That included a month of weight training because due to the way my gym is i dont have a membership untill the new year. My squat is ~ 90KG, deadlift 105KG and bench 50KG (1RM)

No it's not.

I guess that is relative to how long you have been working out. For someone who has built up to it no, for someone coming off of an 18 month lay off it could be if diet isnt in check.

Probably not. Was that even working for you before, when you did it?

It was working quite well. I would do 5 reps at a low-ish weight and then increase the weight on one rep sets untill my max. I gained 20KG on my squat in 4 weeks, but that could just be due to the fact I hadnt trained in a while.

You could look into 5/3/1 potentially. But you should answer the questions in the post above.

5/3/1 was the last program I did before my lay off and i liked it, it seems to work for me doing heavy weights / low reps. Im not sure if its too high intensity to do on a diet though.

As Jesus said. Sixpacks are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

I know, and that is how i plan to lose the weight (although im not aiming for a six pack) but I would like to continue strength training while i do it and was wondering what changes have to be made to a strength program if your not getting as much food. If it is advisable to drop intensity, volume, frequency or all three

I'm curious what the end goal is. Do you do boxing and tkd both once a week as a hobby or are there ever plans for competition? What do you mean by cardio? If you are wanting to cut bodyfat it seems like conditioning could be done on the same days as lifting and you could do both 3 times a week. And how long do boxing and tkd last, what do you do in the classes?

End goal is to compete, either in boxing or kickboxing. I got into TKD because i was coming back from shoulder surgery and wanted to keep active while doing something that didnt involve my arms too much. The plan was to transition to kickboxing when my arms were better, but i havnt found a gym I like, so i may just do straight boxing with the aim to compete, and do TKD as a hobby.

The cardio is running with a local running club. We are training to compete in a local 10K race. It is around 40-60 mins of medium intensity running (160-170BPM average). I find having people to run with brings out my competitive side and being surrounded by better runners makes me push harder. I dont think I could do this if i lifted before, but I could definatly add some light cardio to the end of my weights sessions the other two days.

I want to drop the body fat because although i dont weigh much i lost alot of muscle mass and put on fat during the lay off. I want to compete at 165lbs (middleweight in boxing). I find it very easy to put on fat if im not careful and my dads side of the family has alot of weight related issues, so i never want to let it get to the stage where im considered fat. That said, im not aiming for a six pack, i just want to lose maybe 5-10 lbs before I start lifting for size so that I can do it for longer. I also think that because i havnt been lifting that long Its possible I will still see strength gains on a deficit.

EDIT: the TKD classes are two hours. A fairly intensive warm up, then pad work and often sparring at the end. We do nearly full contact sparring too which is better than most clubs

Last edited:
Alright, with your BF% range and lift numbers you should do Starting Strength. Just do that for a few weeks to see if you can recover enough while still training. Then if you really want to you can add in some conditioning after lifting, but you might not need it.

You're running a two-day-per-week strength training program with absolute novice numbers. You don't need to adjust volume or intensity to deal with a calorie deficit. You just need to go lift and suck it up when you're not feeling fantastic.

You're running a two-day-per-week strength training program with absolute novice numbers. You don't need to adjust volume or intensity to deal with a calorie deficit. You just need to go lift and suck it up when you're not feeling fantastic.

Ok cool, thats all I needed to know. Thanks.

Ok cool, thats all I needed to know. Thanks.

Yeah, you'll be fine, and you'll gain strength with a good beginning program and a little hard work. I'm guessing a deficit would affect your other training before it would affect your strength training.

Yeah, you'll be fine, and you'll gain strength with a good beginning program and a little hard work. I'm guessing a deficit would affect your other training before it would affect your strength training.

The fact I have been alot stronger in the past than i am now is helping im guessing, easier to get back to where you have been than to reach a new height. Do you mind if I PM you the program I was going to follow?

The fact I have been alot stronger in the past than i am now is helping im guessing, easier to get back to where you have been than to reach a new height. Do you mind if I PM you the program I was going to follow?

If you can, post it in my log; it's easier for me to reply there.

Weightloss is mostly diet. Find out your BMR and your TDEE and then calculate your macros. Eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of LBM. Take 20% off your TDEE and that's the amount of calories you need to eat to lose ~ a pound per week.

Lift heavy, take a multi etc. etc.

Back