Looper, Dredd, or Total Recall?

Looper was the best sci-fi film of 2012 and one of the best sci-fi films of the last 10 years.

Don't listen to the poor people without refined tastes that think some shitty reboot is better.

Looper and Dredd are great. Watch both.

Total Recall looks pretty but bland.

its alright man, youll find a new lady

mad.png

Having seen all 3, I would say Dredd is the cream of the crop by far imo. Dredd is what a comic adaptation should feel like, again imo.

Was Dredd actually good?

I was completely shitting on it without even knowing it was out, so take that into the equation here 1NSANO.

Although anyone saying Looper sucked is out of their minds. There's a reason it's so highly rated critically.

Looper was the best sci-fi film of 2012 and one of the best sci-fi films of the last 10 years.

Don't listen to the poor people without refined tastes that think some shitty reboot is better.

I'm with you man! Some of these responses... just wow. I know film is subjective... but seriously?

I was really shocked too. Looper was an excellent film, a triumph of science fiction storytelling imo.

Dredd with Looper a close second. Both are awesome.

Total Recall reboot sucked.

Was Dredd actually good?

I was completely shitting on it without even knowing it was out
A few testimonials for Dredd below. This is just the first batch of reviews for the film (those that paid anyway). Since then the film has received an overwhelming positive response from posters.

Update: September 27, 2012

Sherdog's Review of Pete Travis' DREDD 3D

Sherdog Rating: 95% Approval Rating (19 out of 20 posters liked it)

Consensus: 'Truer to the source than the Stallone debacle, Dredd 3D succeeds on every level that it's 1995 predecessor failed. A grounded yet hyper violent film with visuals that are both beautiful and brutal. The script is clever and reined in when necessary, it never feels overdone and yields to the on screen action instead of interjecting.'

Dredd-16-Dragonlord-1-1.jpg

Dragonlordxxxxx - 8/10
Despite its relatively modest $45 million budget, Dredd 3D is a dazzlingly violent sci-fi thrill ride that breathes new life into the franchise. The plot is relatively simple but director Pete Travis and screenwriter Alex Garland still delivered a gritty claustrophobic action spectacle. The R-rating is well-deserved as the film is brutally graphic. Paul Leonard-Morgan's electronic score is simply fantastic and infectious.

RoryFan - 8/10
I saw this on Friday first showing of the day (yes i'm that much of a dork). My two friends I went with thought it was ok, pretty average definitely nothing special... me on the other hand I thought it was the fucking tits! I might be a little bias because i was a massive fan of the comic books and this film felt like the comics so it was super nostalgic.

KNN - 8.5/10
Truer to the source than the Stallone debacle, this film succeeds on every level that it's 1995 predecessor failed. A grounded yet hyper violent film with visuals that are both beautiful and brutal. The script is clever and reined in when necessary, it never feels overdone and yields to the on screen action instead of interjecting.

Gambitpool - 8/10
I really liked it. Urban kicked ass as the face-less Dredd. Thrilby surprisingly was great as Anderson. The visuals for the slo-mo drug scenes were beautiful even if a bit too long at times. I only had one problem and that was the fault of mine. From the reviews and clips, I thought this was going to be a non-stop blood bath and gore shower. Again, it was my fault that I over-hyped the action.

Tomie - 6/10
Was disappointed, not a bad movie but def not worth paying tickets for. Too much like The Raid, in fact it was basically the raid but in the future with no hand to hand fight scenes. The visuals were cool and the action was decent. SInce I dont follow the comIcs I wish they went into more details with the mutants and how it got that way. And a little more on how the city was created and what not.

BayAreaGuy - 6.5/10
It was a pretty entertaining movie. It's about what I expected given the trailer and some of the reviews. The biggest draw back was that Mega City, and the building they were in, looked like it was in the modern day, minus the cgi buildings. But that's understandable given the limited budget. Overall it was worth the 6 bucks for the early bird price.

prideisdead - 7/10
i think most of the movie was probally done on a small set. Alot of cgi so they probally didnt spend 100 million to make this movie. i thought it was pretty good.
id give it a 7. Batman was a bit more epic. Had the stars, the sets, the big budget and publicity. so considering all that it was pretty good and i enjoyed it.

Zerocrew1984 - 8.5/10
I loved it. I kind of wished it had a bit more sci fi to it like the last one. I also kept thinking of raid redemption while watching this as far as the scenery.

Anung Un Rama - 8/10
And let me tell you, I did enjoy it. I've never been a fan of the comics and only went to see it because of the positive reviews. I loved it.

ironchefigor
Saw it earlier tonight. Basically boils down to this, imo. In terms of quality:
Judge Dredd = Batman and Robin; Dredd 3D = The Dark Knight. Would smash the blonde chick, Karl Urban IS the law, and I had a good time.

The Clinch
Just read up on it's dismal attendance and well, after watching it earlier it's definitely one of my favorite films of this year.. Blows TDKR out of the water. What a bad ass movie, surprised more people aren't going out to watch it. Karl Urban did a damn good job.

Katsumi Yamada
damn i wish more people had seen it. great movie, one of my favourites of the year....behind The Raid of course ;)

complete
I despise remakes and reebots but this is damn fine movie. I really enjoyed it. Yeah it does almost look the same as The Raid but it's still a great film none the less. I just hope they make enough money so a sequel gets made. Urban was badass, altough his grimacing made me lol a couple of times. p.s. would bang the blonde.

Kemo
Maybe its just the shitty theatre closest to my house, but theres only eight people in this showing of Dredd. I've seen the trailer more in theatres but it was a pretty decent movie. I guess people would just rather see shitty movies like End of Watch and House at the End of the Street.

Luchador 007
Dredd (IMO) shits all over TDKR. It's a fuckin joke that lower rated films like fuckin trouble with the curve or end of night (whatever the hell those films are called) have bigger audiences than Dredd. You would think that the overwhelmingly positive reviews would have convinced people to watch the film. I'm starting to lose my faith in humanity ...

akutz1
Dredd 3D sucks ass. Its nothing but computer generated video game cutscenes and weird aounds and images. Its a movie for people on drugs

Nonsense
Awesome movie. Good, solid, loud, dark escapism. I do not understand why it did not do better at the box office. Hopefully word of mouth gives it a decent second weekend.

Bagul
best movie of 2012. totally unexpected

Cyke_out
I just got back from seeing this tonight. Fucking awesome. Just a great movie, one of the best action movies in a long time. I totally want this to be a new franchise.

TheRot - 8/10
good action movie deserves more attention than it is getting

DKR - 8/10
Man this movie was all kinds of awesome, I had really high expectations going in and they were essentially met. 3D shined in some parts but you should be fine with 2D. It had better writing that expected and Urban was great, really can't think of anyone more fit for the job, girl wasn't bad either. With a better budget the movie could have been epic, some flaws for sure but see this movie now.

Liked (17): Anung Un Rama, Bagul, complete, Cyke_out, DKR, Dragonlordxxxxx, Gambitpool, ironchefigor, Katsumi Yamada, KNN, Luchador 007, Nonsense, prideisdead, RoryFan, The Clinch, TheRot, Zerocrew1984

Decent (2): BayAreaGuy, Kemo, Tomie

Average (0):

Disliked (1): akutz1

Wow, color me shocked. I'll check it out.

I've only seen LOOPER, which is exceptionally good, but I had to actively work around JGL's makeup.

I am shocked that anyone had anything bad to say about Looper. It was a great movie.

I didn't even know JGL was in it so I just kept thinking "holy shit that looks like JGL mixed with Bruce Willis"

Didn't see Dredd (kinda pissed I missed it in 3D) but Looper >>> Total Recall remake. TR is fine, fun movie, especially the 1st two thirds, Jessica Biel is fuckin gorgeous, that other chick is hot, and I've really liked Colin Ferrell since In Bruges, but the movie is hokey schlock. Looper on the other hand, is a bona fide sci-fi flick with a brain, and the slick looks to match. Great shit.

Wow, color me shocked. I'll check it out.
Just a few bullet points below to avoid unrealistic expectations:

Update: September 28, 2012

For Those That Haven't Seen DREDD Yet, Please Read:

For those that haven't seen Dredd yet and planning to watch it but don't know much about the film, here are a couple of key points so that you don't have any unrealistic expectations.

1. Dredd is a British/South African independent film with a modest budget of $45 million. So don't expect any mind-blowing FXs or elaborate sets.

2. The plot is very simple: Trapped in a building complex controlled by a drug lord, the two Judges have to fight their way out.

3. Dredd did not rip off The Raid. Both films went into production relatively at the same time. In fact it is said that Dredd's script was drafted first in 2008/2009. The Dredd script was leaked on the net in July 2010.

4. The setting is not a sophisticated utopian future, it's more of a post-apocalyptic dystopian world cobbled together from the junk left over.

Back