• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

looking to buy a new nice watch

Tags problem is they mass produce shit and don't stick to anything. Look at how many aquaracer st here have been, it's not an iconic watch. The sole exception is the monaco. The brand doesn't really have a "soul" and that's why it performs poorly on the secondhand market.

This isn't something unique to Tag though. For the longest time I wanted an IWC Ingenieur but they keep messing with the style and "drawing inspiration" from different eras of their past so there is no iconic Ingenieur exactly (unless you count the very first original) in the way there is an Omega Speedmaster or, well pretty much any Rolex I guess.

They also moved to ETA a long time ago IIRC.

Yet, even in this thread posters have mentioned IWC as a "worthy" brand. So if it isn't technical accomplishment, and it isn't heritage, I don't really get what you are buying with some expensive watches.

My impression is that people who are into watches respect Seiko and especially the Grand Seiko line. It's those to whom watches are just a fashion accessory that it is not a "better brand name".

Yup. Grand Seiko is in the running for best watch under $10K for sure.

Anyone know about or have a shinola? I like the idea but have heard by some that meh.

It's entry level Swiss quartz components assembled in Detroit. For the money I'd rather get a Hamilton or Tissot.

This isn't something unique to Tag though. For the longest time I wanted an IWC Ingenieur but they keep messing with the style and "drawing inspiration" from different eras of their past so there is no iconic Ingenieur exactly (unless you count the very first original) in the way there is an Omega Speedmaster or, well pretty much any Rolex I guess.

They also moved to ETA a long time ago IIRC.

Yet, even in this thread posters have mentioned IWC as a "worthy" brand. So if it isn't technical accomplishment, and it isn't heritage, I don't really get what you are buying with some expensive watches.

I do like the new Ingeniuer (that is actually anti magnetic), and would buy it, but would never consider the crap they were making before it. I see it as an affordable alternative to the other Gentra designed watches of the 1970s (Nautilus and Royal Oak). The other thing about IWC is that it seems to have a strange celebrity and cult following. Ive seen many businessmen wear IWC as a hipster alternative to the mainstream brands and then you have guys like Trudeau wear one.

In Re the ETA, it is a double edged sword. On one hand you are angry you paid a premium for a common movement that can easily be found in cheap watches. On the other hand in house movements are expensive to maintain and may even become impossible to maintain if the movement is discontinued or if the watch manufacturer goes under. IWC, being owned by a conglomerate, is at risk of this in my opinion. The good thing about ETA is that it is reliable and will be able to be repaired indefinitely into the future. In my opinion brands like IWC should pimp out the movement with a solid gold rotor to give it some punching power when compared to inhouse alternatives.

But at the end of the day the market reflects your views, and IWC's are not considered 'safe buys' from an investment perspective, so you are right.

All this watch talk is giving me flashbacks of when I was into watches for a short period of time. I hardly wear any of my watches now to be honest, especially having to chase around a pre-toddler

Anyone know about or have a shinola? I like the idea but have heard by some that meh.

I love mine. This is the second one I've owned (first one got stolen).

I may be a little slow. I have no idea what the grey market is.

There's 3 ways to buy a new watch (assuming we're talking about expensive brands): Boutique, authorized dealers, and grey market dealers. Boutiques are the stores owned by the manufacturer and offer a "a buying experience", which is a euphemism for being more expensive. Their sticker price will be the same, but it will be harder to get discounts, if any. Authorized dealers are watch shops with a formal business relationship with the brand, they can move a bit more on the price. Both boutiques and authorized dealers will sell you a watch with full manufacturer's warranty and complete papers.

Lastly are grey market dealers. When an authorized dealer becomes an agent for a brand, they are committed to buying X amount of pieces from the brand. Frequently not all these can be sold, so to lower their inventory these dealers will then sell to grey market dealers, which then sell to the consumer. The watches are genuine, and often considerably cheaper than boutique or ADs. The downside is they do not come with a factory warranty. The dealers themselves will usually offer their own warranty, which may be good or may be useless, depends on the dealer. If you look at a website like jomashop and wonder why their prices are so low, it's because they're a grey market dealer.

If you're going to buy from an AD, try to haggle a bit and get a good price. I bought my Seamaster from a Taiwanese AD, pushed hard on the price and ended up buying for only very slightly more expensive than a grey market dealer, but it came with full Omega warranty. It pays to shop around a bit.

I could not bring myself to drop 6 grand on a watch with blue rubber strap.

In fact 6 bags for a watch is pretty insane in general when you consider what you're getting for your money - a watch that looks nice, keeps time and will last a while. But you can get that for a few hundred. The only real point in spending that sort of money on a new watch is to tell other people how much money you have and get the superior feelings from it. But I guess if 6G is nothing to you then why not?

My impression is that people who are into watches respect Seiko and especially the Grand Seiko line. It's those to whom watches are just a fashion accessory that it is not a "better brand name".
Most people only think of the $25 seikos that are sold everywhere. And you are correct.....in the actual "watch community" seiko is a respected name. I have a seiko sumo and you would be hard pressed to find another dive style watch that has the features it does in or around its price range.

Correct.

However I do t think using third party movements is a fault on its own. Rolex, Patek and Audemars Piguet have all relied on third party movements at one time or another.

Tags problem is they mass produce shit and don't stick to anything. Look at how many aquaracer st here have been, it's not an iconic watch. The sole exception is the monaco. The brand doesn't really have a "soul" and that's why it performs poorly on the secondhand market.

my suggestion to OP is a nomos glashutte. In house movements, unique design, attention to detail and crazy affordable. the ahoi is their waterproof watch and is very nice. I myself like the Ludwig.

Tag receive a lot of hate. They have been all bullshit marketing and poor products for a while, but I feel like they now tend to be back to the Heuer original spirit.
Got the jack Heuer re-edition ( From 2004 not the calibre 17) and even if technically it's a really simple ETA movement which it very reliable and the design respect the original Heuer from 1964.

upload_2017-2-22_13-39-1.png

But yep it's definitively not the trendiest or the most iconic brand.

Got the jack Heuer re-edition ( From 2004 not the calibre 17) and even if technically it's a really simple ETA movement which it very reliable and the design respect the original Heuer from 1964.

View attachment 203373

But yep it's definitively not the trendiest or the most iconic brand.

That is a fine looking watch. The Carrera Jack Heuer 81 has the similar design and is also very nice. I don't know about the quality of these, but I wouldn't knock something just because it has a modified ETA inside. The higher grades are fine movements, as good as anything else. Mechanical watch movements are a mature technology, there's very little difference between the higher grades from most brands. The watch world is full of a lot of bullshit and snobbery.

A lot of the collectors I've seen on YouTube will have rolexes, omegas etc and then they'll have an SKX007 or 009 in the collection as well.

Most of the time I wear a Certina DS Podium...bought it 5 years ago for 800 CHF and never had any problems.
Certina-DS-Podium.jpg

The last watch I bought is a Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Chronographe. It costs around 1200 CHF
maurice-lacroix-chronograph-les-classiques-lc1228ss002330_86155737.jpg

That is a fine looking watch. The Carrera Jack Heuer 81 has the similar design and is also very nice. I don't know about the quality of these, but I wouldn't knock something just because it has a modified ETA inside. The higher grades are fine movements, as good as anything else. Mechanical watch movements are a mature technology, there's very little difference between the higher grades from most brands. The watch world is full of a lot of bullshit and snobbery.

The 81 is cool indeed.

Yep agree

The watch I use the most is the Hamilton Khaki mechanical, simple, quite cheap, with a mechanical movement that could last forever without any maintenance and very light on the wrist. ( just switch the original wristwatch for a dark nato)

upload_2017-2-22_18-6-40.png

I could not bring myself to drop 6 grand on a watch with blue rubber strap.

In fact 6 bags for a watch is pretty insane in general when you consider what you're getting for your money - a watch that looks nice, keeps time and will last a while. But you can get that for a few hundred. The only real point in spending that sort of money on a new watch is to tell other people how much money you have and get the superior feelings from it. But I guess if 6G is nothing to you then why not?
I get it 6 g's for a watch sounds crazy. i'm in my late 40's and have reached a point wear I feel like I deserve something nice for once.. im buying a nice watch to make me feel good not as a status thing. if you can afford a BMW or audi why buy a KIA.

There's 3 ways to buy a new watch (assuming we're talking about expensive brands): Boutique, authorized dealers, and grey market dealers. Boutiques are the stores owned by the manufacturer and offer a "a buying experience", which is a euphemism for being more expensive. Their sticker price will be the same, but it will be harder to get discounts, if any. Authorized dealers are watch shops with a formal business relationship with the brand, they can move a bit more on the price. Both boutiques and authorized dealers will sell you a watch with full manufacturer's warranty and complete papers.

Lastly are grey market dealers. When an authorized dealer becomes an agent for a brand, they are committed to buying X amount of pieces from the brand. Frequently not all these can be sold, so to lower their inventory these dealers will then sell to grey market dealers, which then sell to the consumer. The watches are genuine, and often considerably cheaper than boutique or ADs. The downside is they do not come with a factory warranty. The dealers themselves will usually offer their own warranty, which may be good or may be useless, depends on the dealer. If you look at a website like jomashop and wonder why their prices are so low, it's because they're a grey market dealer.

If you're going to buy from an AD, try to haggle a bit and get a good price. I bought my Seamaster from a Taiwanese AD, pushed hard on the price and ended up buying for only very slightly more expensive than a grey market dealer, but it came with full Omega warranty. It pays to shop around a bit.
thanks. very insightful.

how does one find a grey market dealer. i'm in NY right outside the city or even NJ??

I'm big time into watches. That being said, I don't own a prestige watch, because I don't have that kind of expendable cash.

General rule of thumb. Never spend more than $150-$200 on anything that has a quartz movement or non-Swiss made mechanical movement (I.e. movado). A movado is basically a severely overpriced timex.

A higher end Swiss prestige watch is a status symbol. If you got ballin money, then sure, it's arguable it makes sense to buy one. But when I see a regular guy wearing a $6K+ watch, all I can think is this guy is an idiot that can't control his spending. It's the exact opposite of a status symbol.

how does one find a grey market dealer. i'm in NY right outside the city or even NJ??
http://www.jomashop.com/
That's just an example. I have purchased a few watches from them without a single problem.
There are plenty grey market dealers online. They sell genuine watches without the factory warranty.

If looking for a German watch....
https://www.watchmann.com/
This guy is an awesome person to deal with.

Back