• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

looking to buy a new nice watch

I'm big time into watches. That being said, I don't own a prestige watch, because I don't have that kind of expendable cash.

General rule of thumb. Never spend more than $150-$200 on anything that has a quartz movement or non-Swiss made mechanical movement (I.e. movado). A movado is basically a severely overpriced timex.

A higher end Swiss prestige watch is a status symbol. If you got ballin money, then sure, it's arguable it makes sense to buy one. But when I see a regular guy wearing a $6K+ watch, all I can think is this guy is an idiot that can't control his spending. It's the exact opposite of a status symbol.
Yeah man. I agree with you about quartz movements. Marathon Watch Company makes some really awesome looking divers but I'm not paying 800 bucks for a quartz watch.

how does one find a grey market dealer. i'm in NY right outside the city or even NJ??

Online. Jomashop, authenticwatches.com, ect. I'd see what price an AD can give you before you pull the trigger. I wouldn't overlook the possibility of buying second hand either. There's isn't really a stigma about buying secondhand watches compared to many goods. Old watches are very often highly desirable by virtue of being old, and are 2nd/3rd/n'th hand. My Omega Speedmaster is a 3720.50 model, hesalite (plastic) crystal at the front, sapphire crystal at the back and they stopped making those 15 years ago, probably had a few owners before I got it.

k5153_9.jpg

It's value will only go up. Let someone else take the initial depreciation.

Last edited:
That is an ugly watch. You could have told me you found it at a dollar store and I would have believed you.

It would make sense that you wouldn't know what an Omega watch is, because you are poor.

That is an ugly watch. You could have told me you found it at a dollar store and I would have believed you.

Yeah man. I agree with you about quartz movements. Marathon Watch Company makes some really awesome looking divers but I'm not paying 800 bucks for a quartz watch.
They make automatics too.

My Omega Speedmaster is a 3720.50 model, hesalite (plastic) crystal at the front, sapphire crystal at the back and they stopped making those 15 years ago, probably had a few owners before I got it.

k5153_9.jpg

Grail right there.

Looks like about $1100 with a bracelet.
I'm in Canada. Plus the exchange rate is significantly shittier since I first started looking at them back in 2011. I should have pulled the trigger back then. One year they had a Father's Day sale and the gsar was about 500 bucks.

I'm in Canada. Plus the exchange rate is significantly shittier since I first started looking at them back in 2011. I should have pulled the trigger back then. One year they had a Father's Day sale and the gsar was about 500 bucks.
<6>

The 81 is cool indeed.

Yep agree

The watch I use the most is the Hamilton Khaki mechanical, simple, quite cheap, with a mechanical movement that could last forever without any maintenance and very light on the wrist. ( just switch the original wristwatch for a dark nato)

View attachment 203421
Hamilton khaki is a solid watch at an affordable price.

I'm big time into watches. That being said, I don't own a prestige watch, because I don't have that kind of expendable cash.

General rule of thumb. Never spend more than $150-$200 on anything that has a quartz movement or non-Swiss made mechanical movement (I.e. movado). A movado is basically a severely overpriced timex.

A higher end Swiss prestige watch is a status symbol. If you got ballin money, then sure, it's arguable it makes sense to buy one. But when I see a regular guy wearing a $6K+ watch, all I can think is this guy is an idiot that can't control his spending. It's the exact opposite of a status symbol.
While I generally agree with your thoughts on quartz....I have spent more than $200 on a quartz movement. I wanted an ABC watch but wanted a certain look also. I decided on a suunto. It has been great for the past 2 years.

Online. Jomashop, authenticwatches.com, ect. I'd see what price an AD can give you before you pull the trigger. I wouldn't overlook the possibility of buying second hand either. There's isn't really a stigma about buying secondhand watches compared to many goods. Old watches are very often highly desirable by virtue of being old, and are 2nd/3rd/n'th hand. My Omega Speedmaster is a 3720.50 model, hesalite (plastic) crystal at the front, sapphire crystal at the back and they stopped making those 15 years ago, probably had a few owners before I got it.

k5153_9.jpg

I've been looking around on ebay. there's one company but its in japan. says its a top seller on ebay. prices are around 500 cheaper then jomashop. would you consider this a reliable source or is to risky since its over seas.

Back