Lol at guys like Ngannou in private jets with half million $ wacthes complaining about fighter pay

Nothing wrong with asking for more.

The problem is complaining you don’t have enough when you wasted most of it in the first place.

Incidentally, Francis only won the title in his last fight, it's not as if he's a long reigning champion who's never been given a payday. Put another way, if he loses to Gane, why would he get anything beyond the pay that every other contender gets?

Francis deserves more money, it's a shame that the ufc keeps such a big portion of the pie.

Is there a video of his watch collection? I didn’t even know he was into that.

Two sides to this

Big stars getting $500k+ per fight + sponsorship deals are making more than enough to live comfortably... some of them just waste it on clothing, accessories and vehicles because they never learned to budget properly. They do it to themselves

Fighters making $75k per fight may be struggling because training and taxes leave only a small percentage of what they gross for living expenses

Most of the people arguing about this are focusing on N'gannou, who spends lavishly (needlessly) because he came from such a poor background
Ngannou is now Champion and my understanding is that all UFC Champions get a PPV cut (well....certainly when they are main-event).

As I said in another thread, the route to being a multi-millionaire for Mr Ngannou is really quite simple :

Method : Win fight, collect large amount (7figures, cos now gets PPV cut), tell UFC "Next fight in 4 months please, any opponent" each time, and that's THREE fights per year, done. Multi-millionaire in 12months. (after tax!)

I don't really get these fighters, they should be so thankful to make millions while punching someone for 5 minutes as a job lol. So what if some top boxer makes more? Nobody is forcing you to do mma, go and box then.

It's like me complaining to my boss that Jeff Bezos makes more and that's why i need a salary increase lol. Most UFC fighters make more in one 15min fight than many people their whole life and they still complain after signing a contract.It's unbelievable...

To be honest if you work at Amazon you probably do need a pay increase. Or at least an extra piss bottle if you are a driver.

It is part of the issue with fighter pay however that the ones at the top are the vocal complainers (because it is a neg. tactic) but the reality is the bottom and middle need the bump the most. It is why a union will never work because their objectives aren't aligned. Unions often end up limiting the pay of superstars in order to raise the conditions of the majority.

For example in the NBA people like Curry and James are playing below free market rate because of the agreement. Then there are guys in the middle earning way more than open market value because the teams have to spend to a certain a degree.

I don't really get these fighters, they should be so thankful to make millions while punching someone for 5 minutes as a job lol. So what if some top boxer makes more? Nobody is forcing you to do mma, go and box then.

It's like me complaining to my boss that Jeff Bezos makes more and that's why i need a salary increase lol. Most UFC fighters make more in one 15min fight than many people their whole life and they still complain after signing a contract.It's unbelievable...
It would be like that if you were the founder and CEO of a company on par with Amazon.com. And they're not necessarily saying they need to get paid equal. There's a vast, vast gulf between what MMA gets paid, and what boxers get paid. They're holding up the top boxers to illustrate the scope of that gap. That doesn't mean they're demanding to not make one penny less. They're illustrating that, clearly, fighters can get paid more and promotions still make big money.

But thank you for that incredibly dumbed-down exercise in false-equivalence.

Money is a drug. The more you make, the more you want.

tolerance level goes up. And you need more to get get that high again.

Just like any other drug. This aint nothing new.

As I said in another thread, the route to being a multi-millionaire for Mr Ngannou is really quite simple :

Method : Win fight, collect large amount (7figures, cos now gets PPV cut), tell UFC "Next fight in 4 months please, any opponent" each time, and that's THREE fights per year, done. Multi-millionaire in 12months. (after tax!)
You are sill pushing the lie that he is responsible for not fighting earlier, when he could have very well fought in September if not for the most unnecessary interim title of all times. And could not have fought before September because visas constraints are a thing.

And also the lie that he tried to handpick an opponent when he always said he would take whoever and took whoever (Gane is the worst risk/reward ratio for him). He only said the Jones fight was what he preferred.

Ngannou played himself and now hes upset. Had an easy big money fight with lewis and didnt want to fight. Now hes got Gane coming up who is an absolute phenom and will likely cruise to a decision over him. When ngannou is without a title, he’ll be back to making 80/80 with nobody in the division willing to fight him and will be stuck in noman’s land going broke. Feel bad for him, his management is legit retarded for putting him in this position. He coulda had 2-3 fights as champ before losing to Gane. Oh well.

TS comes off as someone who is afraid to speak up

You can't compare whatever you do to what MMa fighters do. It isn't the same.

I am curious to know how poor the world is when the majority of ufc fighters don't even make 100k in one fight..... something you allege most humans don't make in a lifetime..... lol
Look who just crawled out under a rock.
Yes, bud, the world is exactly that poor.

Preparation isn't every day and it isn't all year round like people always like to make believe. Fighters aren't getting up every day and running 10 km ever day of the year lol. Or lifting weights, or training skills. And eating healthy isn't some hardship either.

Plenty of fighters do keep sharpening skills and staying in shape, but again, that isn't some incredible hardship. Normal people who aren't fighters do that same stuff all the time.

But heaps of fighters get sloppy and have fun outside of fight camps for months on end. The whole process of being a pro fighter isn't a year-round commitment for a lot of these guys.

The media obligations are only leading up to fight week, and mid-level and above fighters have managers to handle their sponsorships. They ain't out there making deals with big companies on their own.
they are running every day actually, a lot of them go by that motto.

You are sill pushing the lie that he is responsible for not fighting earlier, when he could have very well fought in September if not for the most unnecessary interim title of all times. And could not have fought before September because visas constraints are a thing.
well, with respect, I'm not pushing any lie. I am really talking in general terms about his FUTURE fighting with UFC (or other org).

[ * see asterisk below] Going back on the specifics, as per Francis's recent interview i think with Helwani, YES, he did apparently have a visa issue in that (by my memory) he said it was due to expire on around May 12th 2021. And he said that the UFC's job is to renew that for him (they have a team of people working on that stuff). Now, we have to assume that UFC team would put it as a priority to renew the working visa for their HW Champion so he can fight in the USA, right? UFC *knows* he has to have that visa renewed. I totally agree with Francis that the early June fight (UFC offered apparently) was stupidly early. That's 2months more or less. no need for that.

But he has NOT come up with any excuse for him/his management turning down the August 7th fight date vs Lewis in Houston. He skirted round that in the Helwani interview. and they WILL HAVE HAD HIS VISA RENEWED BY THEN!!!! He just didn't wanna fight in august. He was UNINJURED, he had already had MONTHS for celebrating and travelling to Africa. MONTHS to do that!!!
Magically September was ok, but August wasn't? Fact is he should have said "YES, done, signed" for the August 7th fight vs Lewis. He KNOWS that Houston was important to the UFC but he did not accept that fight, and that was a mistake. So multiple fight dates declined and i'm quite certain that UFC got his visa renewed on-time or before time in MAY 2021. Because that's their job to do that. THey have a visa / immigration team working exclusively on that stuff, because it's *important* for USA entry and permit to 'work' and reside in USA.

* If you want to continue discussing the facts about this, I WILL actually go back and listen to the full Helwani / Ngannou interview (maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago) and give hard quotes. The above is by my recollection from watching most of that interview. I don't *recall* him giving any valid reason why he declined the August 7th fight date, other than (paraphrased) "I need time to go travel and celebrate with my people" kind of thing. Which he had all of April, all of MAy to do. Start a full camp in mid-June, and that's almost 2months of preparation for August 7th. But he DECLINED.

Plus Ngannou barely ever fights, he fights like once every 18 months.

Who knows if he actually owns that watch. Could be an ad for it.

private jets are a complete waste of money. but usually the guys who fly them not only do it for convenience but those $10000 trips are tax write offs. when you have that much money you need to spend it in a lot of stupid ways or it all goes to the govt. if you are poor or lower middle class and have friends who are upper or rich you look at how they and their family spend money and you wonder why they make so many stupid decisions that cost them more money but its because they aren't pressured to pay attention to every penny spent or their family actually needs to spend more money on certain things for tax reasons. usually the life of one rich person can fund the life of 100 poor people or more just on the money that goes to silly expenses . .

but to say someone has enough because they can do this or that is wrong. francis is probably comped private flights. he doesn't own a jet and can not fly around in one all the time. a guy like him puts his life and health on the line in the most dangerous division in combat sports. as a champion he deserves generational type wealth at this point. and i say this comparing mma to all other sports and athletes. It is easy to exploit young people by offering money to do anything. this is what fighting is. but imo when they have established their name. when they have won a belt or built a legacy , headlined shows ect they deserve to be paid more than any other athlete.
this is also what war is and i think ever soldier should be set for life when they return. but nah just young people tricked into fighting for rich peoples greed. thats what all of this is. bullshit. stop watching fighting. its for babies. get rich and pay homeless people to fight if thats what you need.

If someone gives you 1 million dollars for something that is worth 20 million dollars,
even though you got a million dollars you still got ripped off.
<{vega}>

You've made this issue disingenuously black/white. There are LOTS of fighters who deserve to make more money. There are a FEW fighters who, despite making (objectively) plenty of money, squander it and then ask for more. Don't compare the two, or put them in the same basket to make false analogies and whine.

I agree. A fighter needs to prove their worth.

They also need to think more, and negotiate more, before they sign the dotted line.

Once you sign the dotted line, then shut up and live up to your agreement. Want more money?

Then have some kind of personality, have some kind of ability to speak the language, have some kind of marketability — so that vendors sponsor you.

If you don't have these abilities, then you're not worth the money. Simple.

You aren't even factoring in training in that 5/15 minutes nonsense you posted

If you are making $10/hour working for Amazon, then ya, you could complain to your boss that you need a salary increase.

But if you're making $150k a year working while posting on Sherdog half the day, then no, you should shut the fuck up.

Back