Limited equipment

sirtapsalot

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I think were all in the same boat here for a while unless you have a well stocked home gym. I keep all of my equipment in work and today was my last day for the foreseeable, on my way out the door i lifted 2 kettlebells and a resistance band...now there are a lot of things i can do with these plus my bodyweight, but the only lifts I have been really working on for the past 6 months are my squat and deadlift. Does anyone have any ideas of how to use said equipment to not lose too much of my hard earned gains in these specific lifts, all suggestions are welcome

do jump squats and squat depth jumps

a bunch of pushups........amraps on whatever kettlebell movements you want

get creative

If you have a board and length of rope/chain/straps you can fashion an isometric deadlift with that pretty easily. It's not perfect, but you can absolutely perform these with near max effort. Just watch the volume and frequency because they can be pretty taxing to your CNS.

What's good about this is that you can perform isometrics throughout the range of motion of the lift when you lengthen or shorten the rope. I would imagine if you split your stance like a lunge you could really get some good stimulus to your quads and glutes. Also glute ham raises can be done on just about anything around the house that will hold the back of your ankles down. I bet you could maintain some decent strength with those exercises at your disposal.

Ross has a little bit more elaborate set up, but this should give you some ideas.

Isometric-Training-Tool.jpg

homemade-isometric-tool.jpg

Last edited:
John Meadows just made a series of vids for quarantined bros with no equipment other than bands.

Check his channel, he's got chest and legs too.

Use this time away from weights to work on flexibility/mobility

If you are a power lifter I bet you are stiff as a board

can you sit cross legged?

can you touch your toes with straight legs?

Yoga by itself is an excellent and challenging workout esp if you are a big stiffy ;)

Yoga by itself is an excellent and challenging workout esp if you are a big stiffy ;)

i can sit cross legged (not lotus style) but i can just about touch my shins never mind toes, ill dedicate a day or two a week to this.

John Meadows just made a series of vids for quarantined bros with no equipment other than bands.

this guy seems great, thanks

I have about 115 lbs worth of dumbbells around the house. I also have a big backpack and dufflebag to put those weights in

I did a full workout yesterday with weighted pushup, curls, squats and rows with just those two things. The rows I did with two chairs lined up and the dufflebag. The backpack has a nice handle at the top for curling.

Buy some bands and mimic the movements. The Band Man Dave Schmitz on YT has about the best videos from what I've seen on how to get the most out of bands. He has two or three different channels.

Stand on a towel and do isometric dead lifts at various ranges (starting, mid-range, end-range).

Ross Enamait had a good idea years ago of an isometric tool that had some give to it. if you want to do something other than pulling on towels or rope

Additional:

Find some rocks outside and take them home with you.

Sand can be put in large zip lock bag (doubled bagged) and duct taped and thrown into a military bag with or without handles

Load up a backpack and go for a walk (rucking) or use it for other movements. IMO better than a weighted vest

Lift items in your home at disadvantageous positions

Push and pull against objects that won't move (isometrics) in starting, mid and near full range positions

Push your vehicle across the parking lot

Offset-training with objects

Last edited:
kettlebells.jpg

Kettlebells, comrade. Make you strong like Russian bear!:)

not mine, i got a 16kg and a 12kg and I'm giving the 12 to my brother to use. Think ill be as strong as a koala bear

I got a 16kg and I've ordered a 24kg. The 16 is still challenging enough for Get Ups, since I suck at them.

Ive just finished my first workout using bands and kettlebells, I have to say it went pretty well. I wasnt really following any structure, just messing with different mvements to see how things felt.

I like how mid set the resistance can be adjusted by grabbing a different part of the band and those rubber band pushups are a killer.

Overall i think im going to be ok during the hiatus but im 100% sure my numbers will go down, though i think i might end up a bit better aesthetically wise

Ive just finished my first workout using bands and kettlebells, I have to say it went pretty well. I wasnt really following any structure, just messing with different mvements to see how things felt.

I like how mid set the resistance can be adjusted by grabbing a different part of the band and those rubber band pushups are a killer.

Overall i think im going to be ok during the hiatus but im 100% sure my numbers will go down, though i think i might end up a bit better aesthetically wise
Yeah man, that's how I approach it. Just get blood in those muscles and go for a pump. We just have to accept our lifts are going down anyway so work on the stuff you normally neglect. With my bands, pullup bar, and a steep hill nearby for hill sprints I am improvising however I can. The hard part is overcome the tedium of endless sets of 20+ with bands.
b84chvcvy8o41.jpg

I used rocks and logs for years. In addition to all the bodyweight stuff.

A natural stone that is a sphere is such a good lift. It is on you forever. IT gets to your lap then a reset for the second extension. Try to get one onto your shoulder - big back extension and biceps.

A clean and jerk with a stone is all about balancing and you have to present it out usually.

A zercher squat with a lot, or jumpsquats with a lot on your back.

I got a 16kg and I've ordered a 24kg. The 16 is still challenging enough for Get Ups, since I suck at them.

Me too man. I waste so much time/energy just thinking about how to make the next move.

I don't understand that whole idea that powerlifting makes you stiff. I can see how turning yourself into a muscle bound bodybuilder could make you stiff, but regular strength and conditioning stuff shouldn't make you stiff.

You need to have good mobility to do these exercises correctly to begin with. The more weightlifting I do, the better mobility and healthy range of motion I have. I'm no gymnast or anything crazy, but it's super easy to reach past my toes and have unilateral balance.

The only big stiffy is what I'm playing with in the shower every morning.

Although our lockdown here in China has been lifted. My gym still hasn’t opened up yet, so I’m making do with what I have.

I have two 10kg and one 25kg kettlebell. I’ll mix up the workouts but regardless what I do I’ll always incorporate swings into the session. Also been running stairs too.

There is also a pull up bar along with parallel bars downstairs so the day before yesterday I headed down and realized how weak i was after not doing pull ups for a few weeks. Feels great though to get back into it.

Can't wait to get out on my bike tomorrow. Gonna crank up the resistance and burn my legs up.

You could get a 5 Gallon jug and fill it with sand and see what you can do with it.

Being limited in gear selection, its time to be creative.

Back