"Likes" should have NEVER been part of the WAR ROOM anyway

I hate you, I hate you, I don’t even know you and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else.

I agree that "likes" are dumb in the sense of a contest for likes. If that was the only reason they served I would definitely say get rid of them.

But likes are good for keeping reply posts down. You get to let someone know you especially dug their comment without having to repost it with a "this" or some other affirmative reply. It cuts down a lot on thread bloating.

+1

I'm only sad about them because I already had like... 18,000 posts before they started. Other than that, I kinda like being a dirty leftist who watches "TDS libs" posts get 40 likes.

Likes have a limited value in that they can show who agrees with certain stated views. More likes doesn't mean a stated view is right, but it can highlight views where there is broad consensus.
I’d also add that likes can sometimes show an appreciation of a comment or aspect thereof, or a joke, between users who often strongly disagree. I thinknthere’s value in that, it demonstrates that even WR adversaries can respect one another even if they have vastly different perspectives.

Likes have a limited value in that they can show who agrees with certain stated views. More likes doesn't mean a stated view is right, but it can highlight views where there is broad consensus.

I've always felt that this aspect of the 'likes' system would be bolstered by the inclusion of 'dislikes', which might also serve to somewhat mitigate empty flaming.

Yeah, 'likes' do serve a purpose, even in the War Room.
It can encourage you to make better posts, and make you question some dumb shit you may have written when nobody 'likes' something you thought was good. Also keeps down posts like "lol good one"

The people that hated them were generally the people that couldn't get a like if their beta lives depended on it.
looooosers.
<{Heymansnicker}>

One part I don't like is it encourages everyone to try to be the first to reply with some witty response. Reminds me of the comments on youtube in a JRE clips video where everyone seemingly at the same time posted the same lame "Joe <insert phrase in quotation marks> Rogan".

It defeats the purpose of the "WAR" aspect does it not...

If I had it my way likes would COMPLETELY cease to exist.

To say it's juvenile is a VAST understatement.

I envision Sherbog to bog down again because of the like system...so why don't they get RID of it altogether?

And how the like system slows down a forum in the first place is beyond me...

Anyway, do you agree that the entire "like system" should be eliminated across the board?

‘Likes’ should have never been part of SD in the 1st place. What are we, 12?

I agree that "likes" are dumb in the sense of a contest for likes. If that was the only reason they served I would definitely say get rid of them.

But likes are good for keeping reply posts down. You get to let someone know you especially dug their comment without having to repost it with a "this" or some other affirmative reply. Cuts down on thread bloating.

<PlusJuan>

It defeats the purpose of the "WAR" aspect does it not...

If I had it my way likes would COMPLETELY cease to exist.

To say it's juvenile is a VAST understatement.

I envision Sherbog to bog down again because of the like system...so why don't they get RID of it altogether?

And how the like system slows down a forum in the first place is beyond me...

Anyway, do you agree that the entire "like system" should be eliminated across the board?
Well, the like function makes it much easier to build an Army..

This is the war room, after all.

Likes are a good way to acknowledge that you read a post and appreciate it without having to awkwardly state that in a spammy post.

Disagree. I find myself missing them a bit as a way to show support for a post I agree with or a well thought out one, but where the conversation doesn’t present an opportunity where typing up a reply would benefit any more than simply hitting “like” and moving on