"Likes" should have NEVER been part of the WAR ROOM anyway

I kindof want to flood sherdog with likes to break the system again. Just get rid of them altogether if we dont get to keep them. Having them and then resetting them is dumb

Are we crying about likes now? Geez is there anything you guys won’t complain about? What adult pays attention to likes anyway?

What's the difference if you get 100 likes for a funny meme of Nancy Pelosi in the War Room, or 100 likes for a funny meme of Conor in the UFC forum?

Are we crying about likes now? Geez is there anything you guys won’t complain about? What adult pays attention to likes anyway?

I do , my whole sense of self worth is inextricably linked to war room likes I feel utterly bereft now .

Likes dont matter to me really, it is a nice feature to acknowledge a post that you find entertaining or well thought out. The number of likes I get doesnt really make me enjoy all guys any more or less. I still enjoy coming to the WR to kill time and shit post with you guys. I even find entertainment in you guys that I dont agree with. This too will pass, cheers.

Give us a dislike button. I'm a grumpy old man, I want to become the reverse Wadtucket.

Disagree. I find myself missing them a bit as a way to show support for a post I agree with or a well thought out one, but where the conversation doesn’t present an opportunity where typing up a reply would benefit any more than simply hitting “like” and moving on

Yeah, 'likes' do serve a purpose, even in the War Room.
It can encourage you to make better posts, and make you question some dumb shit you may have written when nobody 'likes' something you thought was good. Also keeps down posts like "lol good one"

The people that hated them were generally the people that couldn't get a like if their beta lives depended on it.
looooosers.
<{Heymansnicker}>

I'd disagree here. I think the "likes" are pretty useless, and would vote to remove them altogether. I use them because they are a feature of the site, but feel it would be better without it.

For one, I can tell you specific examples when I've discussed a topic and a person was like "oh but you liked Post X, that's your true position", when it had nothing to do with what I was saying, when I liked a post because I thought something in it was funny. Twice off the top of my head when I liked posts from TCK, who I rarely ever agree with, but appreciate his contributions. This also happened with a meme I liked in the meme thread that I thought was funny, and also a like with a poster who is always funny, and it was used in an arguments against my position, with people "liking" the posts arguing it. That's about as LolWut to me as it gets. People monitoring what you "like" and judging you on it is the most ridiculous part of the forum.

Also, it creates too much of a hive mind. The same people liking the same people's posts is 80% of the posting. Sometimes you can tell a post isn't even of good quality, or a post that another poster would never post themselves given their history, but then you'll see the same people "liking it" since they have to show their "support" of the other person. It's schoolyard level.

That's not exclusive to this forum either, it's the mentality it brings. The more like/dislike/etc stuff you bring to discussions the more you bring regression to it imo.

I just find it surprising that likes would slow down maintenance. Crappy design, I guess.

It defeats the purpose of the "WAR" aspect does it not...

If I had it my way likes would COMPLETELY cease to exist.

To say it's juvenile is a VAST understatement.

I envision Sherbog to bog down again because of the like system...so why don't they get RID of it altogether?

And how the like system slows down a forum in the first place is beyond me...

Anyway, do you agree that the entire "like system" should be eliminated across the board?
No, I do not agree. It's juvenile to quest for likes as an end unto themselves, but they are useful to me for reasons having nothing whatsoever to do with ego stroking. Anyway, to each their own. Just don't blame likes themselves for shitty implementation.

No, I do not agree. It's juvenile to quest for likes as an end unto themselves, but they are useful to me for reasons having nothing whatsoever to do with ego stroking. Anyway, to each their own. Just don't blame likes themselves for shitty implementation.

THE WAR ROOM specifically is NOT for kids.

Yes, you may enjoy the like feature, but it remains childish.

Participation awards for the LOSS.

I'd disagree here. I think the "likes" are pretty useless, and would vote to remove them altogether. I use them because they are a feature of the site, but feel it would be better without it.

For one, I can tell you specific examples when I've discussed a topic and a person was like "oh but you liked Post X, that's your true position", when it had nothing to do with what I was saying, when I liked a post because I thought something in it was funny. Twice off the top of my head when I liked posts from TCK, who I rarely ever agree with, but appreciate his contributions. This also happened with a meme I liked in the meme thread that I thought was funny, and also a like with a poster who is always funny, and it was used in an arguments against my position, with people "liking" the posts arguing it. That's about as LolWut to me as it gets. People monitoring what you "like" and judging you on it is the most ridiculous part of the forum.

Also, it creates too much of a hive mind. The same people liking the same people's posts is 80% of the posting. Sometimes you can tell a post isn't even of good quality, or a post that another poster would never post themselves given their history, but then you'll see the same people "liking it" since they have to show their "support" of the other person. It's schoolyard level.

That's not exclusive to this forum either, it's the mentality it brings. The more like/dislike/etc stuff you bring to discussions the more you bring regression to it imo.
See above. Disagree. As I said in the lounge thread, I find them helpful to let me know people have read my post and they often remind me to come back to threads I've neglected. OTOH I don't care at all about total numbers of likes. Reset that shit as often as you like if you can figure out a way to not bring down the whole forum for it.

What modern forum gets fucking broken from likes though?... Likes are dumb but the fact it cause forum crashes... FIVE YEARS after implementation, says something.

Last edited:
THE WAR ROOM specifically is NOT for kids.

Yes, you may enjoy the like feature, but it remains childish.

Participation awards for the LOSS.
LOL I'd say getting this upset over something you can just ignore might be what's childish. You act like you miss the days of empty +Juan or This every second post.

The like button is designed to keep users glued to a platform by fostering an intense dopamine addiction. That's literally the whole point of it and it's the reason that Zuckerberg and Dorsey are so filthy rich. I think society in general would be better off if like buttons were removed from all social media platforms, but that ain't gonna happen. I'm sure that Crave implemented the like button to get posters to spend more time on here (and therefore be exposed to more ads) but I guess somehow their servers weren't able to handle it all.

Getting too hooked into the dopamine-driven feedback loop can be very detrimental to one's mental health. I'm sure all of us who post here could think of posters whose posting increased in frequency and became shittier/more unhinged as the like feature was introduced on this site. As an example, look at that guy who rage-quit recently and asked that his account be banned after constantly whining about how "Mayberry is becoming the WR". The guy had like 60k posts and 60k likes in 5 years. Without the like button that doesn't happen imo.

The like button is designed to keep users glued to a platform by fostering an intense dopamine addiction. That's literally the whole point of it and it's the reason that Zuckerberg and Dorsey are so filthy rich. I think society in general would be better off if like buttons were removed from all social media platforms, but that ain't gonna happen. I'm sure that Crave implemented the like button to get posters to spend more time on here (and therefore be exposed to more ads) but I guess somehow their servers weren't able to handle it all.

Getting too hooked into the dopamine-driven feedback loop can be very detrimental to one's mental health. I'm sure all of us who post here could think of posters whose posting increased in frequency and became shittier/more unhinged as the like feature was introduced on this site. As an example, look at that guy who rage-quit recently and asked that his account be banned after constantly whining about how "Mayberry is becoming the WR". The guy had like 60k posts and 60k likes in 5 years. Without the like button that doesn't happen imo.
Again, I disagree. In his case, I am pretty sure he liked the compartmentalization of discussion that separated the viciousness of the WR from the milquetoast flavor of the Mayberry so he could go hang in there if he thought WR bullshit was getting to him, rather than having to log off altogether. It seems like he felt there was spill over from here to there ruining his sanctuary.

Nothing at all to do with likes, IMO. It doesn't disprove your point, but that wasn't a good example.

Wish we could neg so I can give the TS one.

It defeats the purpose of the "WAR" aspect does it not...

If I had it my way likes would COMPLETELY cease to exist.

To say it's juvenile is a VAST understatement.

I envision Sherbog to bog down again because of the like system...so why don't they get RID of it altogether?

And how the like system slows down a forum in the first place is beyond me...

Anyway, do you agree that the entire "like system" should be eliminated across the board?
Thats exactly what someone with few likes would say.

I don't know of that's true about Overpressure specifically, but it's a good thing to be aware of.

Get rid of them. Why reset to zero? They'll just have to do it again. I think they're fun but not necessary.