"Likes" should have NEVER been part of the WAR ROOM anyway

Wish we could neg so I can give the TS one.

If "likes" make Sherdog inoperable over time, then...

GET. RID. OF. THEM. NOW.

Why you do not agree with that is beyond me.

Also, they are CHILDISH anyway. THE WAR ROOM is not Facecrook.

See above. Disagree. As I said in the lounge thread, I find them helpful to let me know people have read my post and they often remind me to come back to threads I've neglected. OTOH I don't care at all about total numbers of likes. Reset that shit as often as you like if you can figure out a way to not bring down the whole forum for it.

I think this is more of your personal utility in regards to likes, which sounds like a good one. It can remind you to revisit a thread (me too actually), or know that there's some agreement from others with your stance. While that may be true, I don't think it outweighs the cons that come with likes such as the hive mentality, the misrepresentation of positions because you "liked" something, or how Sangre put it better than I could, the mental stimulation that causes some people to degrade in their postings. A lesser extent of the social media rush that people get when they are getting their "likes up" on particular posts. You even said yourself you could care less about the total number of likes or how often they are reset, which shows you aren't part of that problem at all. The greater problem lies with the people who do care.

NO "LIKES", NO PEACE.

BURN THIS MOTHERFUCKER DOWN

I'd disagree here. I think the "likes" are pretty useless, and would vote to remove them altogether. I use them because they are a feature of the site, but feel it would be better without it.

For one, I can tell you specific examples when I've discussed a topic and a person was like "oh but you liked Post X, that's your true position", when it had nothing to do with what I was saying, when I liked a post because I thought something in it was funny. Twice off the top of my head when I liked posts from TCK, who I rarely ever agree with, but appreciate his contributions. This also happened with a meme I liked in the meme thread that I thought was funny, and also a like with a poster who is always funny, and it was used in an arguments against my position, with people "liking" the posts arguing it. That's about as LolWut to me as it gets. People monitoring what you "like" and judging you on it is the most ridiculous part of the forum.

Also, it creates too much of a hive mind. The same people liking the same people's posts is 80% of the posting. Sometimes you can tell a post isn't even of good quality, or a post that another poster would never post themselves given their history, but then you'll see the same people "liking it" since they have to show their "support" of the other person. It's schoolyard level.

That's not exclusive to this forum either, it's the mentality it brings. The more like/dislike/etc stuff you bring to discussions the more you bring regression to it imo.
Why give a shit about any of that?

And I dont care how many likes a shitty post gets. I actually like that it can give me some idea of where some people's mindset and ideas are at.
There are some ignorant people in here that arent worth engaging.
The Like function is especially useful in this forum because this is where long and more thought out posts will likely be written.
I dont want to waste my time writing a long response and getting a "lol didnt read".

What you like, and how many likes you have can give me some idea of whether or not you are worth the time and effort to debate.
It is pretty easy to ignore the Like whores, and I would say they are a lot less frequent in this part of the board

The like button is designed to keep users glued to a platform by fostering an intense dopamine addiction. That's literally the whole point of it and it's the reason that Zuckerberg and Dorsey are so filthy rich. I think society in general would be better off if like buttons were removed from all social media platforms, but that ain't gonna happen. I'm sure that Crave implemented the like button to get posters to spend more time on here (and therefore be exposed to more ads) but I guess somehow their servers weren't able to handle it all.

Getting too hooked into the dopamine-driven feedback loop can be very detrimental to one's mental health. I'm sure all of us who post here could think of posters whose posting increased in frequency and became shittier/more unhinged as the like feature was introduced on this site. As an example, look at that guy who rage-quit recently and asked that his account be banned after constantly whining about how "Mayberry is becoming the WR". The guy had like 60k posts and 60k likes in 5 years. Without the like button that doesn't happen imo.

I’m actually surprised a lot of people keep notifications for likes on. You’d get at least double the notifications by doing so and for little reason. This is true with any device/ platform that does notifications too. Getting the settings right can help you out a lot.

It defeats the purpose of the "WAR" aspect does it not...

If I had it my way likes would COMPLETELY cease to exist.

To say it's juvenile is a VAST understatement.

I envision Sherbog to bog down again because of the like system...so why don't they get RID of it altogether?

And how the like system slows down a forum in the first place is beyond me...

Anyway, do you agree that the entire "like system" should be eliminated across the board?

tenor.gif

I’m actually surprised a lot of people keep notifications for likes on. You’d get at least double the notifications by doing so and for little reason. This is true with any device/ platform that does notifications too. Getting the settings right can help you out a lot.

Are we able to set notifications just for replies and not for likes? I didn't know that but it would be very helpful.

They serve a purpose. Remember when every other post was "This"?

It's a two way street. "Likes" definitely cut down on the one word agreement posts, but it also might've upped the vapid shit posting designed to fish for likes. Especially in the War Room, where it's pretty easy to rack up likes, merely by cheer leading your tribe.

I think limiting the likes one can hand out in a day, is a good balanced approach.

It's a two way street. "Likes" definitely cut down on the one word agreement posts, but it also might've upped the vapid shit posting designed to fish for likes. Especially in the War Room, where it's pretty easy to rack up likes, merely by cheer leading your tribe.

I think limiting the likes one can hand out in a day, is a good balanced approach.

lol

Limiting likes as a solution?

Likes are for 7 year olds. Why not just get RID of them altogether?

I assure you that people would get used to it in no time. The entire social media "like" system is a way to feed small doses of narcissistic supply, and over time people have become addicted to them.

It's fucking gross.

Are we able to set notifications just for replies and not for likes? I didn't know that but it would be very helpful.

Yep, it’s under “alert preferences” if you select the drop down of your name on the top right of the page. I changed it within a week of likes being enabled because it got really annoying fast.