Liddel vs henderson: who would have won?

not that this thread is talking about him, but it's interesting to note, at least in my opinion, that rampage was better than hendo, prime vs. prime. the rampage/hendo fight was when both were at their absolute primes. rampage was such a great fighter in his heyday.

Yeah prime Rampage is definitely underrated.

Ehh...Liddell got TKO'd twice in 2003, and was on his way to losing a third before he caught Overeem. I consider Liddell in his prime pre-2003.
fair enough. OTOH, if you watch Chuck beat Vitor & decimate Sobral 2002 and then watch Hendo lose to Nog & Arona in 2002....

there are a dozen different ways to see this. i stand by my last post :)

EDIT: actually, after thinking another 5 minutes, i'm leaning more toward your opinion over mine. cheers

Last edited:
Hendo by vicious KO. No disrespect to Chuck but his prime loss to rampage was because Rampage hit like a truck and had a granite chin.

Hendo had the same tools in his prime. He could take Chuck's best shots all night. Chuck relied far too much on having a solid chin. One H Bomb and its night night.

This is such a hard matchup to pick because Hendo was so damn inconsistent and it's hard to pinpoint his actual peak prime

That said I probably lean Hendo 55/45

Damn good fight,never really thought of it
I'll go with...
Curse-of-Chucky.jpg

in 2001-2006 at 205, Liddell
any other time any weight, Hendo.
thank you.. This was actually the TYPE of answer i was looking for. A period of time where they are both on top of the game... When exactly was chucks rise to prominence and when he fell how far along was hendo? Was hendo ready yet when chuck was at his best? Who knows but its why its fun to talk and read about

How come this fight never happened?
Funny you mention it, as i said in my ts post I wasn't watching the sport at the time. I was sort of wondering the same. After rampage won the belt from chuck he defended against henderson. After he beat henderson, chuck vs hendo seemed like an obvious fight to make. Maybe chuck slipped too far down the ladder?

Common opponents = Rampage, Shogun , Franklin, Rashad - All of them flattened Liddell.

Hendo beat Shogun x 2, beat Franklin, and fought a very close 5 round dec loss to Rampage, and a close 3 rounder to Rashad. I think that speaks for which one was more durable.

Chuck, he was a beast in his prime.
Hendo and Chuck are two of my all time favourite fighters, so it hurts a bit to choose..
Chuck was the best in the no 2 org
We saw what happened when he went over to pride in prime . Granted different rules environment play factor
Hendo the smaller win just more durable and tougher he would have found a way to win

I think Chuck would've been a bad stylistic match up for Hendo to be honest. Too much reach and too much control of distance with that wide stance and excellent TDD.

Hendo by vicious KO. No disrespect to Chuck but his prime loss to rampage was because Rampage hit like a truck and had a granite chin.

Hendo had the same tools in his prime. He could take Chuck's best shots all night. Chuck relied far too much on having a solid chin. One H Bomb and its night night.

The difference is rampage was a much better boxer than hendo. Comparable power, sure, but hendo was never a great boxer he just headhunted with the h bomb and has great timing. Rampage in his striking prime, I'd say right around the time he fought chuck in the rematch, was one of the best boxers mma has ever seen.
He had great combo's and dynamite in both hands, as well as very crisp hooks and uppercuts rather than just an overhand right.

Henderson via less over committing of his punches...and more likely to land that finisher than Chuck on his flurry (which prime Dan could withstand)

Hendo seems to be the choice, but prime Chuck with the reach advantge may have teed off on the lesser striker in Hendo.

Common opponents = Rampage, Shogun , Franklin, Rashad - All of them flattened Liddell.

Hendo beat Shogun x 2, beat Franklin, and fought a very close 5 round dec loss to Rampage, and a close 3 rounder to Rashad. I think that speaks for which one was more durable.

All you did was list Chuck's last few fights ever. He clearly wasn't in his prime in any of these fights, except for the first Rampage fight. And then, Rampage certainly didn't "flatline" Chuck. Chuck was hurt to the body and his corner threw in the towel in that one.

You also left off Vitor as a common opponent. Vitor ko'd Hendo 2 times in the first round and Hendo won a decision over him once. Prime Chuck beat the brakes off Vitor, dropped him on his butt with a punch, and even landed a jump spinning side kick on Vitor's liver in their fight. He won by decision but it was a CLEAR decision after he beat him down. You also left out Babaloo as a common opponent. Chuck flatlined him twice while Hendo beat him by decision once.

You didn't watch Chuck in his prime did you? I know you didn't if you listed all the fights you listed at the tail end of Chuck's career as some kind of proof Hendo would beat him.

Hendo would want to fuck Chuck no doubt.

Chuck would wreck him though (in the day).

Back