Let's talk Gears of War

I hear you

I have an RTX 4080 and one of the first games I got after that was Cyberpunk 2077. Great game, tried it with Path tracing and while it was kinda playable I could barely notice the effect while in motion. I put it back down to regular RT and the game felt much more slick, still looked fantastic. Kept it there because I preferred the smoother gameplay.

The implementation of RT in Doom Eternal is fairly mild.. it's noticeable but not enough to be game changing. However DLSS is a very welcome addition and it makes the game super smooth.
I don’t think I’ve played any games yet where I preferred having ray tracing. It looks nice but the frame hit is never worth it

I don’t think I’ve played any games yet where I preferred having ray tracing. It looks nice but the frame hit is never worth it
Honestly the only game where I think it added something significant to the experience is one of the very first games to implement it

Control

It really made the oldest house extra creepy

Honestly the only game where I think it added something significant to the experience is one of the very first games to implement it

Control

It really made the oldest house extra creepy
Thanks for this post. I didn't recall control having RT. I think I only played it when I had a 1080Ti, so I couldn't have used it anyway. I remember being disappointed by the washed out auto HDR they had, but still liked the game a lot, but I never finished it for some reason, only have 10 hours according to Steam.

Looking up the game, one of the devs that joined after release added native HDR, ultrawide, and better DLSS support, all on his own time which is released as a mod. Look how much better it looks now! I'm def going to fire this up.

Mod link

I wish M$ would release the Gears trilogy on Steam, reworked like the MCC. I never finished either Gears 4 or 5.

The PC port of Gears 1, some remaster version on the windows store was a terrible port from what I recall.

I was never a big shooter fan, but GOW really did it for me. Something about the story, the characters and gameplay all hit the right tones and kept me intrigued.

GOW3 was a good game but I was definitely done with it at that point. Never played any of the ones that came after.

Really enjoyed the first game, around this time I was playing alot of sports games, Socom online on ps2 and other randomness so this got me out of a gaming rut. The story was fun, I like the controls and online I was that annoying guy chainsawing everyone.

After a couple of entries they needed to inject some freshness but it seemed mostly small changes gameplay wise and they may have been banking on the story. I can't fully remember though as the last couple weren't the most memorable.

After playing through Halo on steam, I'd love to tackle Gears.

My roommate had Gears and I did manage to play the 1st one on PC but had to play with him in his xbox.

Are there any ways to play them on steam? I'd only need the first 3 or 4.

GOW3 was a good game but I was definitely done with it at that point. Never played any of the ones that came after.
Probably for the best. "GOW: Judgement" set it on a path of mediocrity that they still haven't really recovered from. That said, one of the biggest hooks of the games were their graphics. It was so far ahead of it's contemporaries. Once that started to level out, the novelty wore off a bit and it just became another third person shooter.

Played GOW 1-5 and Judgement. The 1st one has a great story and atmosphere. The multiplayer didn't really hit a grove until #3. The story was always a little lacking. #4 was really good from a technical standpoint, movement was faster and smoother and it looked really nice, but the new characters were bland. One of the highlights of the original trilogy was the banter between the core 4 characters, Gears 4 lacked that. The horde mode in #4 was addictive for me, which I played hours upon hours. #5 the story was a little better but for some reason it looked cheaper than #4, Open World design was a dumb decision. Felt a little dialed in. Judgement isn't worth talking about.

As much as I loved Gears I'm at the point I'm rarely going to play a game anymore. I got too much going on for video games so if I do have free time it's going to be something special.

After playing through Halo on steam, I'd love to tackle Gears.

My roommate had Gears and I did manage to play the 1st one on PC but had to play with him in his xbox.

Are there any ways to play them on steam? I'd only need the first 3 or 4.

Only 1,4,5 and tactics have PC ports and i think they are windows store only unless you have a Game Pass PC / Ultimate subscritption then they are on there

No one is going to read this, but I must say it!

Gears of War is my favorite gaming franchise of all time. I consider Gears 3 the greatest game of all time. I read ALL of the Karen Traviss books which are excellent by the way. I have a Gears hat that I got as a pre-order bonus that I swore I’d never wear (but do when I’m working around the house). I’m (or was) an above average MP player (I never figured out how to wall bounce, but I had strategies that worked well and almost always had me at the top of the leaderboard). The Gnasher is the second greatest MP weapon of all time (behind the M1 Garand in Battlefield: 1943).

Gears 1: Excellent game, Incredible worldbuilding, great action, characters that I was immediately drawn to. The MP was terrific if lacking in stats. Played it for hours and hours.

Gears 2: MOTS. I didn’t love the changes to MP. The story was a typical middle chapter. Co-op was fun

Gears 3: Only Elden Ring has ever challenged it as the greatest game of all time in my mind. The story capped perfectly. Emotions galore. Perfect end to the series (or should have been). The MP was sublime and is probably still my most played ever. The maps were brilliant. The weapons were brilliant. The level progression and unlocks were brilliant and ALL of the skins were included and attainable by just playing the game. The character movement was perfect. The weapon balance was perfect (and even the double barrel shotgun which veterans whined about to no end was fun to use some times).

Gears 4. The MP beta was outstanding and I was pumped. Whatever changed from the beta to go live, largely ruined the MP for me. The movement was wrong. The hit detection was wrong. The maps were wrong. Everything was wrong. I still played quite a bit, but my days of dominating matches were suddenly over and it wasn’t skills fade. The shift in story off of Marcus made sense, but it doomed the franchise like killing Optimus Prime doomed the transformers (1986). The hook at the end though was well executed. And locking all the skins behind random loot boxes was the worst decision ever made in the franchise.

Gears 5: Just. Terrible. MP. JUST TERRIBLE. They fixed things that didn’t need fixing to make it ‘more accessible’ and gutted the fanbase. SP focused on a character no one cared about with Marcus tossed in as an afterthought. Never finished it. May try ahead of Gears 6, but my hopes are very low for that game too

No one is going to read this, but I must say it!

Gears of War is my favorite gaming franchise of all time. I consider Gears 3 the greatest game of all time. I read ALL of the Karen Traviss books which are excellent by the way. I have a Gears hat that I got as a pre-order bonus that I swore I’d never wear (but do when I’m working around the house). I’m (or was) an above average MP player (I never figured out how to wall bounce, but I had strategies that worked well and almost always had me at the top of the leaderboard). The Gnasher is the second greatest MP weapon of all time (behind the M1 Garand in Battlefield: 1943).

Gears 1: Excellent game, Incredible worldbuilding, great action, characters that I was immediately drawn to. The MP was terrific if lacking in stats. Played it for hours and hours.

Gears 2: MOTS. I didn’t love the changes to MP. The story was a typical middle chapter. Co-op was fun

Gears 3: Only Elden Ring has ever challenged it as the greatest game of all time in my mind. The story capped perfectly. Emotions galore. Perfect end to the series (or should have been). The MP was sublime and is probably still my most played ever. The maps were brilliant. The weapons were brilliant. The level progression and unlocks were brilliant and ALL of the skins were included and attainable by just playing the game. The character movement was perfect. The weapon balance was perfect (and even the double barrel shotgun which veterans whined about to no end was fun to use some times).

Gears 4. The MP beta was outstanding and I was pumped. Whatever changed from the beta to go live, largely ruined the MP for me. The movement was wrong. The hit detection was wrong. The maps were wrong. Everything was wrong. I still played quite a bit, but my days of dominating matches were suddenly over and it wasn’t skills fade. The shift in story off of Marcus made sense, but it doomed the franchise like killing Optimus Prime doomed the transformers (1986). The hook at the end though was well executed. And locking all the skins behind random loot boxes was the worst decision ever made in the franchise.

Gears 5: Just. Terrible. MP. JUST TERRIBLE. They fixed things that didn’t need fixing to make it ‘more accessible’ and gutted the fanbase. SP focused on a character no one cared about with Marcus tossed in as an afterthought. Never finished it. May try ahead of Gears 6, but my hopes are very low for that game too
TLDR

I'll just assume you agree with me (cuz I am always right anyway)

Edit
OK on a serious note, your impressions aren't that far off from mine, only real difference is you enjoyed 3 the most while I enjoyed 2 the most.

I just couldn't resist the TLDR response. It was low hanging fruit.

Last edited:
Back