1. Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Lets put this "Frankie deserves the shot before Conor" joke to rest

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by AhuraMazda, Jan 21, 2015.

1. AhuraMazda

AhuraMazda Purple Belt

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

I dont want to bad mouth Frankie, he is a amazing fighter. But lets take a look at his past fights.

1. Arguably loses to Penn in their first fight.
    2. Should have lost to Maynard.
    3. Two losses to Bendo.
    4. Loss to Aldo.
    5. Had a pretty tough fight with Oliveira.
    6. Took him 3 rounds to beat Dolce Diet To The Death Zombie Penn.
    7. Destroys Cub who had trouble with Dennis Siver in the grappling department.

Do we really want to see this guy in ANOTHER title fight? It's not like his wrestling has improved to trouble Aldo with considering Aldo still has one of if not the best TDD in the sport. Its not like his striking is any better. The man has peaked and is now getting up their in age.

What will his rematch with Aldo look like? The same as the first. Same old Frankie Edgar fight.

Conor goes in their and makes fights look easy. Torn ACL or not. He's young. He is obsessed with getting better. He is a tactician. He brings elite level striking to challenge Aldo's striking.

All hype and memes aside. You cannot deny that Conor is an elite fighter and you cannot tell me that you would prefer to watch Frankie fight Aldo first.

2. uhwrestler

uhwrestler Banned Banned

lol your comparing fights with the best 155'ers (edgar) who arguably beat henderson and should have been 155 pound champ...versus conner who beat some barely top 15 featherweights. Even at 145 Edgar beat cub who is higher ranked then anyone Conner fought

3. sash123

sash123 White Belt

agree with TS, frankie destroyed swanson with wrestling, aldo showed us against mendes that nobody can take him down, and no fucking way frankie outstrikes aldo, pointless rematch

4. born2killl

born2killl Brown Belt

Frankie would deserve it more if it were his 1st shot at Aldo. But for his 2nd shot, eh, either way. Just get Lucky charms shot over with so we dont have to listen to his godawful fake trash talk

5. Megatronlee

Megatronlee Red Belt

Frankie fans are just jealous. Mma fans don't like STARS. I think they all secretly want UFC to be back in the dark ages

6. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

i really have no interest in edgar vs aldo II

7. Captain_Dammitt

Captain_Dammitt Brown Belt

Cub Swanson >>>>>>>>> anyone Conor has faced.

This McGregjoke bandwaggon is overflowing and will crash hard when he loses.

8. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

Sounds like you're just skewing that facts in your favour to prove this

9. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Titanium Belt

He doesn't at all in my opinion. He has one really good win and 2 virtual squash matches, and he already lost to Aldo. Another good win or 2 and he'll be there.

10. born2killl

born2killl Brown Belt

MMA fans do like stars, not cartoon characters

11. imissWECPalmer

imissWECPalmer Purple Belt

derp but look at all the green on conors side derp

12. Arn

Arn I Drive

No way in hell i'm paying for Aldo - Edgar II

13. grzelkaj

grzelkaj Orange Belt

Well ts you made Edgar's point.

Using the BJ Penn 3 argument is moot. I Dont think anyone could have mauled Penn the way he was mauled in that 3rd fight.

It doesn't matter though he will best the winner of Aldo v Conor.

14. RJ43

RJ43 The Baddy

Oliveira is a nice win, Cub was a huge win...especially the way Frankie did it.

I honestly think it's a toss up for who deserves it at this point and on the promotional side there is no contest. Frankie is still in a good spot as the top 4 contenders in the division are tied up so he'll get a low-end top 10 opponent who he will wreck, get a pay day, and be able to avoid Mendes to get his 2nd shot.

Frankie is going to get another shot at the title within the year.

15. ToetotheFace

ToetotheFace Green Belt

MMA fans don't give a shit about what a fighter brings to the business unless they think somehow MMA could be hurt so bad by a lack of it that it could interrupt their enjoyment.

UFC would do just fine without Connor. He is helping them, but acting like he is bring UFC in to a territory they have never been is ridiculous. Media reports on Jones five times as much McGregor. It isn't a reason for me to like him as I don't give a shit unless I think the promotion is in danger, which they aren't. Not that I hate Connor(although I don't like him), but acting like anyone who does wants MMA to collapse from its current state is ridiculous. You're overestimating his effect.

People don't like that he is getting a shot mostly because he didn't fight a top 5 fighter and Dana White said the same BS he says about every big fight during Swanson vs. Edgar. Connor level of achievement to deserve the shot is being undersold though, he did win 5 straight impressively with a couple good wins against fringe top ten FWs.

The points the TS made about Edgar at LW were irrelevant and wrong(you can't argue things one way then make exceptions for the Bendo fights when it doesn't fit your argument, especially when Edgar proved his superiorty over those opponents with wins that can't be disputed), but I don't think Edgar deserves it anymore than Connor. His Cub win is far better than any of Connor's wins, but I don't think it puts him above Connor in totality because of the fact that Edgar has already been given one shot.

I'm not worried because no matter the result there is a very good shot that Edgar is going to fight the winner anyways.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  16. 0hm

0hm Brown Belt

17. xterm11

xterm11 Sonofabitch I'm sick of these dolphins

I would have thought all the "Frankie lost the first fight with Penn" talk would have gone away after he beat him more convincingly in the 2nd fight and crushed him (being only the 2nd person to stop him, 1st being prime Hughes) in the 2nd fight. Also Gray won the first rnd of the 2nd fight big, and only pulled out 1 other round. Frankie took 3 rounds from Gray...and then starched him (1st official stoppage of Maynard career even though he was technically out vs Emerson) in the 3rd fight.

Am I wrong or am I just wearing hater glasses?

18. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

it was either more rematches, or give a guy not in the top 5 a title shot.

UFC chose to not do rematches. not for the first time, and not for the last time.

"deserve" has got nuthin to do with nuthin. it's Zuffa business as usual.

19. wlu29

wlu29 Banned Banned

is you florida?

20. blacksnake

blacksnake Green Belt

LOL at "lucky charms".