Let's debate fellas. In your opinions who was a better overall fighter...

times changed..yoel is better.

Prime vs Prime? Rampage beats Yoel into a living death.

My two cents
Rampage had a longer career and a better resume, but Prime Romero beats prime Rampage
Except that KO loss, we haven't seen Romero badly beaten. He lost 3 close decisions.
Rampage was KOd by Silva and Shogun, submitted twice and lost other fights.
Sure, he had better competition, but I believe Romero in his prime would have been better vs Rampage's competition.

I prefer rampage's fights but i gotta say romero is a better fighter. Rampage only had good boxing and takedown defence, nothing crazy (except his slams). Romero is crazy explosive, has crazy hands and is an olympic tier wrestler, imagine if this guy wasn't 41.

The Olympic silver medalist is a better fighter. Rampage of course competed at a different time period and has competed longer.

The mythical stuff about Rampage is cool but that's it. Actually with the responses in this thread, Romero is still underrated.

The only what ifs about Romero are what if he didn't start fighting as an old man already. Not what if he took training seriously for a consistent amount of time.

The sport's evolved. For Romero to be as successful as he has been means: the best Romero > the best Rampage.

The fight would get decided in the wrestling. Rampage always had shit defense against shot style takedowns. Rashad fucking blew him away like a joke with them. Romero would do the same.

Yoel is def more disciplined in that he didnt gain 40 lbs in between fights. But rampage fought so many of his contemporaries. And there were alot of them to fight in his long career.

Probly gained 40lbs between weigh in and fight night

It's an odd comparison with who is a better fighter. I could see arguments going both ways.

I will say that I think Rampage did had the better and more accomplished career, and was by far the more intimidating fighter. He intimated Jon Jones for fucks sake lol.

I find Yoel's 1 punch per minute style pretty fucking annoying to be honest, so Rampage by a distance for me.

I was a big Rampage fan back in the day when I look back now I think I was more a fan of his persona than his actual fighting. The Howl, the thick industrial chain, the Rampage snarl & glare, and the KO power and not to mention the humor. But he never progressed as a fighter relied on his power & intimidation solely.

Yoel as always been a athlete and trained his body like one athleticism as always been a big part of his fight game and because he's taken care of his body it as allowed him to fight younger than his given age. Rampage never liked training and never seemed motivated to fight beyond the money, Yoel you can see even if he were to retire he would continue to train and stay in shape. If Rampage was to retire he would just grow a bigger around the waist spare tire.

To answer your question Yoel better overall fighter by far he could actually throw a kick...

More decorated and proved Rampage. But I think Romero had this danger aura around him, he could finish you in any given moment if you lost concentration for a moment.

A lot of mixed answers here. Sherdog seems to be split down the middle on this one. Keep em coming.

Yoel is more complete, is fighting and beating better level of competition, but i still think Rampage is the better fighter. Yoel is the better athlete.

i think that because for all of the accolades i say about Yoel i still think Rampage in his prime would fuck Yoel up. the one thing i think Rampage has an advantage on is stamina. prime Rampage could fight a grueling grinding type of match all the way, and he fought in Pride with a 10 min first rd. Yoel can't fight like that. Yoel has to take breaks, and i feel like the same way Rampage beat Chuck in Pride is how he would beat Yoel. if he didn't KO Yoel out right, he could just as easily grind him down.

Rampage easily. People legit though Arona died when Rampage power-bombed him. In his prime he had better striking and his slams were incredible

Yoel is overall more skilled and tougher mentally. Rampage at his best is still too predictable and thus exploitable especially to leg kicks. Yoel has more ways to win fights although prime Rampage is better suited for winning 5 round decisions against someone who doesn't exploit his limited style.

If the fight doesn't go Rampage's way then he gets frustrated and will mentally check out and not change things up in order to win, unlike Yoel.

Back