• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Leon Edwards’ gym closes doors to Ian Garry over alleged ‘doubts and insecurities’

His name?

• Total voters
He can benefit himself from learning from eachother and inspiring eachother!

It's a Benefit for both!

EDIT: I don't know if Machado is a douche or not!
That is not an equal trade. One stands more to gain (a belt!) than the other (training).

He'd be a fool to do it, but some guys are willing to be foolish out of love, allegiance, etc., which I guess Leon doesn't have for Garry. I'd think most responsible champs would not trade skills for a shot at their belt. It's an unwise trade.

Leon should’ve absolutely told Gary to sit his ass back. It’s his time and if he feels Gary isn’t someone to share the gym with as a champion then that is totally acceptable.

Not weak minded at all but more shrewd. Gary is just butthurt he loses a champion sparing partner

For real. He clearly sees him as a future contender. Hopefully Edwards is able to hold the title until he fights Garry. Would be a great storyline.

well when he finally fights again he's almost been sitting on the title for a year without fighting so if he keeps that up it's very possible

Khabib fought his first ranked opponent in his 3rd fight, and his first top 10 in his 4th UFC fight, in his 2nd UFC fight he fought Tibau whi would easily be top 15 at the time but there was no official rankings in 2012

Ok, well, I’m talking about overall fights.

Wonder how it'll be when he goes back to Kill Cliff where Usman, Burns and Luque all train lol

Not sure Ian could have been anymore of an insufferable douche in the lead-up to the Magny fight.
Some people's personalities just don't mesh very well with the rest of the gym and are a bit toxic to the overall culture of that gym. I'm guessing this is simply a case of that. Add to that the fact that Ian is very likely going to be coming for the welterweight belt sooner rather than later and it is easy to understand why Leon and his coaches made the decision to cut ties with him.
Why help an outside guy develop the necessary skills to beat your champ and take his belt?

Being brash and uncouth is often promoted by the UFC but people in a tight-knit gym don't want an idiot loudmouth like that around.

He is the type of guy that would immediately run to the press to complain, really proves their point. Self promotion is fine but this guy has no class and no honor, not worth the hassle of having him in their camp.

Lol did ya'll hear how Garry thinks the Colby vs Leon matchup now?

He went from "Leon absolutely dominates him and no way loses" to "it's an awkward matchup, but he should win" Then went on a little tangent about how he belives Shavkat will be the next champ.

I think in 2 weeks time he's gonna start leaning Colby.

Weak minded little cuck feels pretty scorned by Leon and co ousting him from the gym.

Being brash and uncouth is often promoted by the UFC but people in a tight-knit gym don't want an idiot loudmouth like that around.

He is the type of guy that would immediately run to the press to complain, really proves their point. Self promotion is fine but this guy has no class and no honor, not worth the hassle of having him in their camp.
Martial Arts at its core is still about respect and discipline (despite the UFC wanting fighters to completely abandon these ideals in favor of some corny WWE persona that can sell), I've watched a couple of Leon's coaches interviews and he seems like a very level headed guy. He probably saw Garry's theatrics with the Magny fight and decided that little shit has no place in his gym anymore.

He's got a ton of potential but WW is so stacked and it feels like we're about to turn the corner and be rid of the rank squatters. Once Colby is gone and Wonderboy retires we can have a proper division again.

The problem for Garry is that Shavkat is ahead of him in rank and title contention, and I really think Shavkat is going to take the belt and hold it.

Could definitely see Garry fighting Shavkat for the title.

But this move by Edwards is really short sighted. He's not exactly a young guy and doesn't have a ton of time on top ahead of him. If he were 26 and just got the belt, great, do your thing and protect yourself. But he's already 32. Why not set his team up for future success once he's not on top anymore?

Garry is regrettably talented but he seems like a massive diva and I don’t blame an actual champion for banning his potential antics. Garry tries to turn everything into part of his rise, and despite starting off in good graces against Magney and Neal he quickly soured those matchups. I could quite easily envision a timeline where Garry tries to spar Leon excessively in order to release some footage and build some hype. Dude is good, but he can’t build himself-he has to try and climb on the shoulders of others. Leon has actually taken risks to get where he is, for better or worse, and he’s not trying to give Garry an escalator to the top.

Not based on much, just referring to this video

Right on.

In this he said / he said, I'm always reluctant to take one person's version as fact.

He was asked to not return. He says "I was so good, that they felt uncomfortable having me there, so they banned me." That....reeks of lots of story still left untold ;)

But it makes for great internet fodder.

But this move by Edwards is really short sighted. He's not exactly a young guy and doesn't have a ton of time on top ahead of him. If he were 26 and just got the belt, great, do your thing and protect yourself. But he's already 32. Why not set his team up for future success once he's not on top anymore?
Garry is a gym nomad, gives zero garantees. Leon has worked hard and long to be were he is, he's built the place from the ground up.

Maybe they just don't like him, and that was a nicer way of telling him they don't want him there

How does Garry training there set up the team for future success? He didn't want to commit to the gym and train there full time, if he did I'd agree.

It's not even a case of him being at the gym 75% of the time and would occasionally train elsewhere. Several gyms have allowed this.

Back