Legends turning quiters late in career

More fighters should quit. Taking a beating like JDS did against Cain or Smith against Glover is obviously very bad for you. Is it worth shortening your life with a decade or two just to go out on your shield? It’s better to realise when you’re done. If you want revenge or another go at it, quit, make adjustments and fight your way to a rematch.

Nick knows when a fight is over pretty sure he threw the towel in for Nate too
Yall should respect his decision, a real fighter knows when theyve been beat and he certainly didn't phone it in he threw a shit load.

I'd like to see more fighters quitting and corners throwing in the towel when they know there is no longer a chance of being competitive. Why shorten your career by taking an unnecessary brutal beating when you can just admit defeat, train at getting better and have a longer career.

Nick was washed up as fuck anyone can see that. Its insane to me the UFC actually booked that for 5 rounds lol

More fighters should quit. Taking a beating like JDS did against Cain or Smith against Glover is obviously very bad for you. Is it worth shortening your life with a decade or two just to go out on your shield? It’s better to realise when you’re done. If you want revenge or another go at it, quit, make adjustments and fight your way to a rematch.

If JDS had quit a couple of rounds earlier in some of his fights he might have been more competitive for longer and still a top guy in the UFC. It is stupid to endure needless punishment and shorten your career with brain damage and serious injury because you want to look "tough." Is it really worth being retarded later in life because you wanted to tough it out and take a needless beating for 10 minutes.

whut.

Dude he went heads up with prime Silva and its part of getting old literally every athlete has gotten old and underperformed vs their prime.

Diaz never fought a prime Silva. Silva was turning 40 that year.

Fighters quit during fights more often than you'd think. Usually rolling over and giving them their neck.

Nick got beat down and gassed out. He knew more than anyone he was done. It sucks but it happened.

Reactions: mon
We know nothing. Accept that. All you're conjecture is just that. We have no inside track to mental thoughts or what actually transpired. Enough with the judgement and declaration that we know who a person we don't know is and is composed of. Learn to appreciate and stop picking apart things we have no idea about.

He was injured? When did this happen?
He’d mentioned it during the post fight press conference I believe, that being said it was purely speculation on my part as if the injury occurred during the camp or during the fight, but IMO his mobility looked completely hampered from the beginning bell and only got worse towards the end... I suspect he injured it during camp and nursed it until fight night, probably one of the reasons he couldn’t make the cut to 170.... As I said he eluded to as much and I’m speculating about the specifics.

Afterward, Diaz disclosed he might have injured his knee, but made no excuses or apologies for his performance in his return

Ah the old "shortening your life by x amount of years" crap that has no scientific basis whatsoever.

I remember back in 2005 when Tyson lost by KO to Kevin McBride. (Tyson's last fight)
Tyson obviously was gassed and pretty much got pushed down by McBride. Mike looked like he had no interest in getting up to beat the 10 count.

When asked after the fight, Mike stated that he really didn't want to fight and did it for (tax) money. Also, stated he was to old to be taking a beating.

I think we are seeing the same scenario here in MMA lately.

I challenge anyone to retire and drink and party away like 7 years and still be the same youthful person after.

I remember back in 2005 when Tyson lost by KO to Kevin McBride. (Tyson's last fight)
Tyson obviously was gassed and pretty much got pushed down by McBride. Mike looked like he had no interest in getting up to beat the 10 count.

When asked after the fight, Mike stated that he really didn't want to fight and did it for (tax) money. Also, stated he was to old to be taking a beating.

I think we are seeing the same scenario here in MMA lately.

Why should a vet take extra, potentially life limiting, damage when he knows he's losing the fight?

Why should a vet take extra, potentially life limiting, damage when he knows he's losing the fight?
Well, they shouldnt but in the end it seems $$$$ is the ultimate persuader.

Some people don't want it as bad anymore. The desire and will to win they once had is no longer there. They think fuck it, why take anymore damage.

It is fair enough but that is not a championship level mindset.

Also there is a saying fatigue makes cowards out of men. Diaz's legendary tri-athlete cardio wasn't there. Who knows if that's because he's been partying the last 5 years or he was injured or perhaps he just lost interest in training all together.

But he was not in the shame shape he once was which is also a factor. I think he is still young enough to where even if past his physical prime he is not too far past it. Just lack of discipline.

he wasnt prepared for a war, mainly mentally
he actually showed hes the better boxer and i was surprised he lasted that long tbh
also visibly out of shape

Dude straight quit . Wasn't even that hurt he really just quit.

I disagree on him quiting because of any damage. It was obvious from the pre-fight interviews that he didn't really want to be there. His conditioning has always been second to none on past fights. He was in terrible shape for this fight. He probably felt like crap the whole way through the fight and didn't feel normal having such a small gas tank (which has always been his strength).

He likely felt pressured to even do the fight because he needed the payday.

Back