Legends turning quiters late in career

I love Nick, but undoubtedly he quit last night. It sounds like it wasn't even because he was hurt, it sounded like from his interview in the cage postfight it was because he THOUGHT he had too much damage on his face and started to bleed too much, which is a ridiculous reason, especially considering how easily Nick bleeds in his fights.

It's odd because you know Nick is a warrior. I don't know if he's a legend per se, his hype seems to be greater than what he was in his prime, like his brother, but he's really high on my book. He's definitely a tier below elites like GSP and Fedor, but a couple tiers below.

I wonder if we will see more legends going out like this. I'm not as high on Frank Mir or Diego as I am on Nick, but they had a great career as well and they both quit in one of their recent fights. It's funnier since Frank Mir previously talked shit on fighters who quit, but then he tapped to strikes standing against a journeyman he was supposed to beat.

Then there's Shogun too, who in my opinion is the second greatest LHW of all time in his prime, who ended up quitting to strikes recently.

If you told someone back in 2010's, that Frank Mir, Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Shogun Rua will all end up quitting in their fights, they would've told you you are bat shit crazy.

I guess father time is undefeated truly. Even mentally.
what are you talking about?
Rua tapped to strikes over 10 years ago ( to Jon Jones!)
It has nothing to do with father time!

I heard sounds coming out of his mouth, but I didn't understand them, and some of them didn't even sound like words in any language. But yeah, technically I heard him verbally express himself.

But the bottom line is, he still quit in the middle of his job that he agreed to do and was paid to do. Then again, that seems like yet another "new normal" that's going to lower the quality of life even more than it already has been in the last 2 years alone, but that everyone thinks is great and wonderful (right up until they're personally affected).
I think it's unbecoming for anyone to shit on legend like that. Especially when it's clear there's something more behind what went on last night. Nick himself said he doesn't understand how the fight was made and that he shouldn't have been in there. That ought to make a person think.

I heard sounds coming out of his mouth, but I didn't understand them, and some of them didn't even sound like words in any language. But yeah, technically I heard him verbally express himself.

But the bottom line is, he still quit in the middle of his job that he agreed to do and was paid to do. Then again, that seems like yet another "new normal" that's going to lower the quality of life even more than it already has been in the last 2 years alone, but that everyone thinks is great and wonderful (right up until they're personally affected).
Mike tyson quit in 2005……

I love Nick, but undoubtedly he quit last night. It sounds like it wasn't even because he was hurt, it sounded like from his interview in the cage postfight it was because he THOUGHT he had too much damage on his face and started to bleed too much, which is a ridiculous reason, especially considering how easily Nick bleeds in his fights.

It's odd because you know Nick is a warrior. I don't know if he's a legend per se, his hype seems to be greater than what he was in his prime, like his brother, but he's really high on my book. He's definitely a tier below elites like GSP and Fedor, but a couple tiers below.

I wonder if we will see more legends going out like this. I'm not as high on Frank Mir or Diego as I am on Nick, but they had a great career as well and they both quit in one of their recent fights. It's funnier since Frank Mir previously talked shit on fighters who quit, but then he tapped to strikes standing against a journeyman he was supposed to beat.

Then there's Shogun too, who in my opinion is the second greatest LHW of all time in his prime, who ended up quitting to strikes recently.

If you told someone back in 2010's, that Frank Mir, Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Shogun Rua will all end up quitting in their fights, they would've told you you are bat shit crazy.

Priorities change with age. Dare I say, with more wisdom, the way of the warrior or 'going out on one's shield' seems a little silly when applied to a sport. Those phrases were created in reference to war; a real cause, potentially, worth dying for, rather than a mere contest.

When you're young you take big risks, push your limits, sometimes even do dumb things because your goals matter more than anything else.
As you get older you may still want those goals, but your priorities change. You think about your family, your health, money. Your body is tired, you get lots of injuries, you aren't as confident in it as you used to be. In short, you think more which allows that thought of giving up to enter your brain that didn't used to be there.

Shogun too, who in my opinion is the second greatest LHW of all time in his prime, who ended up quitting to strikes recently
he did it vs Jones 10 years ago

Most of the world quits at age 65, if not before, even if its a job they used to enjoy doing. Often they quit in the middle of a project (ie if your company is in the middle of a big project and you turn 65, for most people that means retiring anyway).

In the case of athletes, as you get older you realize you simply can't do it anymore. Sometimes people find this out the hard way, middle aged guys who try to do a sport they used to do when they were younger and find that while their minds think they are still young, their bodies say otherwise -- often they are severely injured or collapse doing something that used to be easy. Diaz hasn't had a fight in years, so mentally he likely thought he was as good as ever, but his body told him otherwise when he actually got into the cage.

It happens to everyone eventually. As you say, father time is undefeated.

I think it's unbecoming for anyone to shit on legend like that. Especially when it's clear there's something more behind what went on last night. Nick himself said he doesn't understand how the fight was made and that he shouldn't have been in there. That ought to make a person think.

Ah yes, the old "I had absolutely no agency or control over my own decisions and behavior!" card :rolleyes: Acting like someone drugged him or held a gun to his head and "forced" him to fight. Nick knew exactly who, when, and where he was fighting as well as how much he was getting paid. He wasn't exactly some rando novice just thrown in there either. If he didn't want to fight, he could've easily just said so BEFORE the fight. But then he wouldn't have gotten paid to quit, would he?

Next time your car, or one of your home appliances breaks down and you get somebody to repair it and this person, in the middle of the job, says says "Nah, I'm good, I just don't feel like fixing this anymore, it's bad for my mental health" I'm sure you'll be just fine with that, right? Better hope you never need a medical procedure done, the doctor might just quit right in the middle of that too.

I personally think all circumstances considered that it wasn’t a bad showing for Nick, who came off the shelf and sauce after 7 years (just look what 1/2 that time has done to McGregor while in his physical prime). Diaz made the seemingly unnecessary commitment to fight, going through the entire fight camp injured, yet he still made the walk and eventually goes 2 very competitive rounds with Lawler, while his mobility was obviously compromised. Considering everything compared to the statistics below, it’s amazing that he actually made it look like a fight that had any semblance of a traditional Diaz showing. I’m not a Diaz fan boy by the way, just using some unemotional critical thinking to access the whole picture.
BCD0B39F-B84A-497F-A905-87EE5DD9886E.png

Why is it seen as being a pussy to submit to strikes that can permanently fuck up your brain when you're obviously finished and have no chance to win but it's acceptable and normal to tap to a choke which has virtually no chance of having any long term negative effect? MMA fans are fucking dorks

He signed to fight and he fought. Agreeing to a fight doesn't create an obligation to keep taking a beating when you know you've had enough for the amusement of the crowd.

I personally think all circumstances considered that it wasn’t a bad showing for Nick, who came off the shelf and sauce after 7 years (just look what 1/2 that time has done to McGregor while in his physical prime). Diaz made the seemingly unnecessary commitment to fight, going through the entire fight camp injured, yet he still made the walk and eventually goes 2 very competitive rounds with Lawler, while his mobility was obviously compromised. Considering everything compared to the statistics below, it’s amazing that he actually made it look like a fight that had any semblance of a traditional Diaz showing. I’m not a Diaz fan boy by the way, just using some unemotional critical thinking to access the whole picture.
View attachment 881785
He was injured? When did this happen?

Why is it seen as being a pussy to submit to strikes that can permanently fuck up your brain when you're obviously finished and have no chance to win but it's acceptable and normal to tap to a choke which has virtually no chance of having any long term negative effect? MMA fans are fucking dorks
Well, some fighters think the same way. (See Chuck Liddell.)

t sounded like from his interview in the cage postfight it was because he THOUGHT he had too much damage on his face and started to bleed too much

just delete the topic man. he was joking that his face was bleeding and he didn't want to get the cage floor dirty. it was a corny joke which is why he laughed.

jesus christ.

<DisgustingHHH>

TS is likely in his 20s, lol.

Nice thinly veiled fighter bashing too.

4018006b-48c3-425e-8350-43f9406b46dc_text.gif

Back