• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Lebron James in America is "hands up, don't shoot". Lebron James in China is....

Well its Hong Kong not China these guys still like NBA they just dont like the oppressive government that Bron supports

So it's OK to like the bitch of their suppressive government and feed them their money. Got it.

Did you read this article? It specifically says that LeBron was one of two people on the entire team that refused to participate in condemning the situation.

Were you using this as evidence against my position or for it?
I was going to reply as I skimmed through all the other posts I got bored of reading your paid trolling. Communism is cool man. Enjoy that.

MLK himself didn't fight injustice everywhere, lol. He did nothing for LGBT rights in his own country, much less globally. Does that make him a hypocrite?

Different zeitgeist but do you think he would have said "I'm not commenting because it might fuck up my shoe deal that I have with this corporation owned by a white dude."

No need to be bitching about imaginary slave-owners when he's already admitted to being a slave to money.

Incorrect. They are often given legitimacy because they have seen behind the curtain. America is a game and they have figured it out, to varying degrees. They know how power works. They've been in the room and they know how the people in power think.

People with the real power in this world generally think like/are sociopaths.

I'm going to keep repeating this: The demands that those protesters are fighting for should resonate with anyone who believes in democratic principles. Even rich businessmen who have a provincial viewpoint when it comes to activism.

I'm fortunate enough to know many very successful black people. Almost all of them discuss the slave-owner mentality present in the nation's elite. It's not just LeBron.

I come from a family of successful African people. That shit never comes up. (Although this could be due to cultural differences, different country, history etc)

However I am well aware that dishonest hateful scumbags are going to use this debacle as fuel to justify anti-black agendas. This used to prevent me from speaking up. That and being called a C@#N which is never pleasant. But fuck it.

Seems so, yeah. Excepting that one tweet by MLK, he has never portrayed himself as being concerned with global affairs or even all domestic issues. He doesn't seem to care about the military industrial complex. He doesn't seem to care about health care. He doesn't seem to care about Native American representation in Hollywood. And he doesn't seem to care about legal disputes between the CCP and Hong Kongese citizens.

He should say it then. Say it clearly so there is no doubt in anyone's minds. "I don't care about Hong Kong, I'm just trying to make sure I get my bag."

Charles Barkley does stuff like that all the time. All it takes is courage. But then Charles Barkley said loudly and clearly that he isn't a role model.

Lebron has.

This doesn't make much sense.

Flint, Michigan still doesn't have clean water. Do Nike and Apple have to comment about that? Mississippi has some of the worst education in the country. Should Microsoft issue a statement?

A company's job is to make profit within the rules of the system. Any philanthropy they undertake is admirable, but it's a bonus. If anything, blame the system itself for not incentivizing philanthropy.

If those companies felt that they could make some money and highlight their brand by focusing on Flint they would have trotted out Kendall Jenner in a commercial in which she saves Christmas by handing out water bottles of clean Flint Water.

iu

So it's OK to like the bitch of their suppressive government and feed them their money. Got it.
Yeah man. If you ever spent a dollar that went to the National Basketball Association you are immediately disqualified from this discussion.

Or otherwise you need to go burn anything that you own that was made in China because that'll really hurt the Chinese.

Shit man, I hope they're paying you. Otherwise you're just being a silly contrarian.

I thought I linked the ESPN article on it:
https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=3398947

Ah, okay. Thanks. This is still pretty consistent with what I was saying. Dude doesn't follow foreign affairs. He doesn't really know what's going on. In this 2008 incident, he said he didn't know enough to weign in. Everyone got mad, so he did his research and took a stance when he understood what was going on.

The situation in HK isn't all black-and-white, despite how you all are portraying it. If it were happening here, I suspect many on this board would support China. It's not unreasonable for someone to abstain from commenting or seek more info.

Yeah man. If you ever spent a dollar that went to the National Basketball Association you are immediately disqualified from this discussion.

Or otherwise you need to go burn anything that you own that was made in China because that'll really hurt the Chinese.

Shit man, I hope they're paying you. Otherwise you're just being a silly contrarian.

I'm not even calling out the fake woke people in this thread. These are Hong Kong people waving American flags as their saviour and arguing for freedom of speech yet they are wearing products of a league that has openly supported the government they are protesting against.

Can you see how dumb that is?

Ah, okay. Thanks. This is still pretty consistent with what I was saying. Dude doesn't follow foreign affairs. He doesn't really know what's going on. In this 2008 incident, he said he didn't know enough to weign in. Everyone got mad, so he did his research and took a stance when he understood what was going on.

The situation in HK isn't all black-and-white, despite how you all are portraying it. If it were happening here, I suspect many on this board would support China. It's not unreasonable for someone to abstain from commenting or seek more info.

You must be Chin-nee and are being paid by the Commies because all China evil because white Western media say so!! :confused:

Different zeitgeist but do you think he would have said "I'm not commenting because it might fuck up my shoe deal that I have with this corporation owned by a white dude."

No need to be bitching about imaginary slave-owners when he's already admitted to being a slave to money.

People with the real power in this world generally think like/are sociopaths.

I'm going to keep repeating this: The demands that those protesters are fighting for should resonate with anyone who believes in democratic principles. Even rich businessmen who have a provincial viewpoint when it comes to activism.

I come from a family of successful African people. That shit never comes up. (Although this could be due to cultural differences, different country, history etc)

However I am well aware that dishonest hateful scumbags are going to use this debacle as fuel to justify anti-black agendas. This used to prevent me from speaking up. That and being called a C@#N which is never pleasant. But fuck it.

He should say it then. Say it clearly so there is no doubt in anyone's minds. "I don't care about Hong Kong, I'm just trying to make sure I get my bag."

Charles Barkley does stuff like that all the time. All it takes is courage. But then Charles Barkley said loudly and clearly that he isn't a role model.

Lebron has.

If those companies felt that they could make some money and highlight their brand by focusing on Flint they would have trotted out Kendall Jenner in a commercial in which she saves Christmas by handing out water bottles of clean Flint Water.
<{dayum}>
I spent a few pages going back and forth with dudes that just want to argue about it and couldn't articulate it quite that well. Thank you.

I'm not even calling out the fake woke people in this thread. These are Hong Kong people waving American flags as their saviour and arguing for freedom of speech yet they are wearing products of a league that has openly supported the government they are protesting against.

Can you see how dumb that is?
I think if they were looking at it objectively, from the comfort of behind their computer monitor they might have the same thought as well.

But they're not. So we might as well call the whole protest off at this point.

Saying that certain people have a "slave owner mentality" is not the same as saying they are slaving owners or that working for them is like being a slave. You said that people with power generally think lile sociopaths. You don't think that mode of thinking has any overlap with that of a slave owner. Perhaps a common lack of empathy and dehumanization of people?

The demands of the protestors does not equal the protesters. The ideology of Feminism does not equal Feminists. Many people can be okay with the idea behind a movement but not support the movement itself. In fact, many Hong Kongese have become increasingly against the protestors. They've ruined the subway system, beat innocent bystanders, etc. Just because their cause is noble doesn't mean their group is noble.

I'm not saying the group is ignoble, I'm saying there are plenty of reasonable people who don't support the protests.

Of course it's different. African immigrants were never enslaved. We aren't as sensitive to such things.

Lebron has.

Yes, he should say it. Everyone on earth should be 100% transparent with their motives, regardless of the consequences. If you don't like your boss, you should tell him immediately and if he fires you and your kids can't eat or the school you fund can't get textbooks or the assistant, chef, barber, agent, manager, etc you employ who all depend on you to make a living can't feed their kids either, well too fuckin bad sometimes being couragerous means everyone suffers.

I lived in China, spent a lot of time in Hong Kong, and have friends there currently who are protesting. I care very deeply about their welfare.

The situation there is far more complicated than anyone who isn't very well educated on it can understand and it isn't LeBron James' responsibility to address it. If you have ever fought for a social cause in your community or country but are not fighting for the Hong Kongese, then you're just as much a hypocrite as LeBron is. Being able to dunk doesn't make you more responsible than anyone else for the welfare of people in a country you don't live in.

I'm not surprised at all that this is a left/right issue.
No I think the major difference is that LeBron directly profits off of the inhumane working conditions in China, and he generates profit for the Chinese too. So unless one of us has similar business interests and pull in China it’s not hypocritical at all. I would consider somewhere I work and make money my community too, so China is LeBron’s community in that sense.
He'll probably navigate it the same way every single other major global entity in the world navigates it, lol. Even the Pope doesn't speak out against China.
Have you seen how the Chinese deal with their Muslims? Tibetan Buddhists? I assume the Pope doesn’t want that to happen to the Catholics in China. If the Pope speaks out against China there will be a similar genocide like China has done to other religious groups there. That’s more responsibility than making money for people who are already billionaires.

i think the problem here is he actually gave out an opinion , and said something like Daryl Morey was uneducated in what he said about hongkong and it would cost him and other players there income. Yet dude got so riled up when people told him there are just athletes and should just shut up and dribble. It would have been better to just not comment.

Not to mention Lebron is such a thin skinned pussy he actually made his Showtimes series calling it "Shut up and Dribble". LOL!!!

Maybe LeTrash James now knows what Laura Ingram meant when she said that. LeQueen learned the hard way. You wade into politics, you're fair game when you fuck up.

@Leagon

You makes some pretty valid points, and perhaps I'm a bit too cynical but my mind hasn't changed. I still very much appreciate this discourse. I hope you don't get it too bad in this thread.

Peace Brothaman.

This is such a strange line of reasoning. He's quoting MLK, who didn't fight injustice everywhere, so he himself is a hypocrite for not fighting injustice everywhere.

Guys, we're all adults here. LeBron isn't a super hero. He's a kid from the hood that has, all things considered, done very well for himself. He seems willing to speak about issues that are close to home for him and he's worked hard to make a difference in his community.

He's also a fuckin choke artist and can't build a team to save his life.

He's just a dude. Not even a politican, just an athlete. It's crazy that yall are expecting him to give a shit about China or to defy a power that even the POTUS won't defy.
It's crazy how much you defend him. Do the right thing and admit this is a sinking ship and you chose the wrong side.

Back