• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Lebron James in America is "hands up, don't shoot". Lebron James in China is....

Not just LeBron. Me too. My company does dealings with China. Does yours? Were any of your clothes made in China? How many hundreds of millions of Americans benefit from China's practices? None of us are doing anything about it. None of our major American companies are doing anything about it. Our president isn't doing anything about it. It's just bizarre to me that we're asking LeBron to be the global leader on this, lol.
LeBron is championing himself as a human rights activist, so he's being held to a higher standard. How is me, who doesn't participate in any activism, buying a shirt made in China the same as LeBron constantly being vocal about human rights, but makes TONS of money playing for the NBA who bows down to China's authoritative demands?

hio Khabibs Tiramisu,
you can start right now, lol. just toss your Chinese made electronics.
This has been repeatedly addressed in this thread. Lebron has 450 million net worth and he doesn't need to work a god damn day in his life. Why do you people keep on comparing them to common people here in Sherdog? Throw my stuff out? I need my computer for work., but then again like I said moving forward I have made a conscious decision to purchase products that are not from China. Just because I've bought China products in the past doesn't mean it's always going to be like that in the future. And throwing products I already purchased doesn't hurt China, but using my computer to post on anti-china threads does help fight the good fight.
<TheDonald>

you're asking the NBA to give up a 1.4 billion dollar broadcasting deal they've got on the table
- IGIT
Well it's the NBA who keeps virtue signalling right? Now that they're staring real evil in the face and they've got a lot to lose by choosing the right side, they prove to us that they care more about their money more than supporting Hong Kongers who are being invaded and brutalized by China, and the muslims who are sent to concentration camps by a communist government. They even go against their fellow american by telling Morey that he's uneducated.

LeBron is championing himself as a human rights activist, so he's being held to a higher standard. How is me, who doesn't participate in any activism, buying a shirt made in China the same as LeBron constantly being vocal about human rights, but makes TONS of money playing for the NBA who bows down to China's authoritative demands?

What if he only cares about human rights in America? Is that not allowed?

It's allowed, but it's weak. Lebron decided to take the path of least resistance and the most money. If that isn't the definition of a sellout im not sure what is.

The problem though is, the US has work to do yeah... but if human rights violations are on a sliding scale then the US is shoplifting 24 packs of beer while China is holding a gun to the store clerk's head while taking the cash register and like 20 boxes of cigarettes.

The problem though is, the US has work to do yeah... but if human rights violations are on a sliding scale then the US is shoplifting 24 packs of beer while China is holding a gun to the store clerk's head while taking the cash register and like 20 boxes of cigarettes.

Okay.

But is every individual supposed to care about everything? Violent crime happens in America, but it's way worse in Honduras. Should police officers in America all issue statements on violence in Honduras?

Of course not. They don't give a fuck about Honduras. They care about their own communities.

It's allowed, but it's weak. Lebron decided to take the path of least resistance and the most money. If that isn't the definition of a sellout im not sure what is.

Michael Jordan took the path of least resistance and most money. LeBron has actually shouldered a lot of unnecessary burden.

Okay.

But is every individual supposed to care about everything? Violent crime happens in America, but it's way worse in Honduras. Should police officers in America all issue statements on violence in Honduras?

Of course not. They don't give a fuck about Honduras. They care about their own communities.
But is the NBA doing business in Honduras?

The bigger issue I think is how the NBA came down on Morey for speaking his mind on Twitter. It's pretty blatant the NBA is doing it for the sake of profits. If they ACTUALLY cared they'd probably move the China attempts to like India or Europe to expand instead.

Activision/Blizzard is a similar thing.

The bigger issue I think is how the NBA came down on Morey for speaking his mind on Twitter. It's pretty blatant the NBA is doing it for the sake of profits. If they ACTUALLY cared they'd probably move the China attempts to like India or Europe to expand instead.

The same India that just pulled an even more aggressive Hong Kong on Kashmir? And yes the NBA are looking to expand there but India isn't seen as evil by the white eyes of America.

The same India that just pulled an even more aggressive Hong Kong on Kashmir? And yes the NBA are looking to expand there but India isn't seen as evil by the white eyes of America.
Didn't know about the Kashmir shit.

My point still is all the SJW-ing by Kerr and the rest of the NBA about the US feels hollow and fake when they don't say shit about China.

Didn't know about the Kashmir shit.

My point still is all the SJW-ing by Kerr and the rest of the NBA about the US feels hollow and fake when they don't say shit about China.

I mean if it's so offensive to everyone you guys can like not watch the NBA.

There's the Big 3 League! :D

The NBA does business everywhere. China is just a huge market.

It's not just the NBA or Blizzard. EVERY major American company does this. Hollywood movies create entirely different scenes exclusively for Chinese theaters. This is global capitalism. For most of last century, companies did the same thing to appeal to America. Now they're doing it to China.

And for some reason, people are mad that LeBron isn't breaking this centuries-old practice.

Cool dodge. Again, a sincere thanks for your service.

What have you done to aid social protests in America? Did you support the Women's March? BLM? Any anti-Trump protests?

Stop man.

It sounds like he is known for his activism but I guess we shouldn't be surprised money > all of that.

from 2008

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=3398947
"
LeBron speaking out on Darfur

When LeBron James walked into our makeshift studio at the Four Seasons Hotel in Washington, D.C., we had no idea what the Cleveland Cavaliers' superstar forward was going to say. We had asked for the interview for our "Outside the Lines" story on NBA athletes and political activism, specifically to see if he'd address why he declined to sign then teammate Ira Newble's letter a year ago, condemning China for its role in the genocide in Darfur.

At the time Newble presented the letter, James said he didn't have enough information to speak on the issue, let alone sign anything. And he was ripped from coast to coast, by pundits, columnists and social observers. They all characterized James as a greedy, spoiled athlete who cared more about his business interests in China than the slaughter of a reported 400,000 non-Arabs in Darfur.

To be sure, China's record on human rights issues was, and remains, a sensitive topic, especially for James' employer, the NBA, which has had its eyes on China for more than 20 years. And then add the pressure of James' $90 million contract with Nike, which has its own designs on the vast Chinese market. James is so wildly popular there that he already has two China-only marketed shoes and his own museum in Shanghai, filled with artifacts from his life, including a copy of his birth certificate. And right now, China estimates it has 300 million basketball fans -- the same amount as the entire population in the United States.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeBron_James
Activism

James, First Lady Michelle Obama, and Dwyane Wade tape a public service announcement in January 2014
James is an active supporter of non-profit organizations, including After-School All-Stars, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, and Children's Defense Fund.[362][363][364] He also has his own charity foundation, the LeBron James Family Foundation, which is based in Akron.[365] Since 2005, the foundation has held an annual bike-a-thon to raise money for various causes.[366] In 2015, James announced a partnership with the University of Akron to provide scholarships for as many as 2,300 children beginning in 2021.[367] In 2016, he donated $2.5 million to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture to support an exhibit on Muhammad Ali.[368] In 2017, he received the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award from the NBA for his "outstanding service and dedication to the community."[369] In November of that same year, the Akron School Board approved the "I Promise School", a public elementary school created in a partnership with the LeBron James Family Foundation to help struggling elementary school students stay in school.[370] James later reflected that it was his most important professional accomplishment of his life. The school officially opened on July 30, 2018.[371]

Throughout his career, James has taken stances on controversial issues. On several occasions, he mentioned a feeling of obligation to affect change using his status.[372] Those include the War in Darfur,[373][374][375][376] the Trayvon Martin case,[377] the now-former NBA owner Donald Sterling's racist comments in 2014,[372] the Michael Brown verdict,[378] and the death of Eric Garner.[379] Following a racist incident at his Los Angeles home in 2017, James expressed, "being black in America is tough. We got a long way to go for us as a society and for us as African Americans until we feel equal in America."[380] Later on that year, in the aftermath of the Unite the Right rally, James questioned the "Make America Great Again" slogan and said, "It's sad what's going on in Charlottesville. Is this the direction our country is heading? Make America Great Again huh?" He then said that "Our youth deserve better!!"[381] James also called Trump a "bum" after the president rescinded a White House invitation to Stephen Curry.[382] During a 2018 interview with CNN journalist Don Lemon, James accused Trump for attempting to divide the country with sports, suggesting that "sports has never been something that divides people it's always been something that brings someone together." He declared he would "never sit across from him. I'd sit across from Barack though."[383] In response, Trump tweeted, "LeBron James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon. He made LeBron look smart, which isn't easy to do."[384] James has supported Colin Kaepernick in the aftermath of his participation in the national anthem protests, claiming that he was being "blackballed" from a new contract in the National Football League, and that he would hire him if he owned a football team.[385] He has worn his clothing in a show of support several times.[386][387]

In June 2008, James donated $20,000 to a committee to elect Barack Obama as president.[388] Later that year, James gathered almost 20,000 people at the Quicken Loans Arena for a viewing of Obama's 30-minute American Stories, American Solutions television advertisement.[389] The advertisement was shown on a large screen above the stage, where Jay-Z later held a free concert.[389] In November 2016, James endorsed and campaigned for Hillary Clinton for the 2016 presidential election.[390][391

It sounds like he is known for his activism but I guess we shouldn't be surprised money > all of that.

from 2008

"

When LeBron James walked into our makeshift studio at the Four Seasons Hotel in Washington, D.C., we had no idea what the Cleveland Cavaliers' superstar forward was going to say. We had asked for the interview for our "Outside the Lines" story on NBA athletes and political activism, specifically to see if he'd address why he declined to sign then teammate Ira Newble's letter a year ago, condemning China for its role in the genocide in Darfur.

At the time Newble presented the letter, James said he didn't have enough information to speak on the issue, let alone sign anything. And he was ripped from coast to coast, by pundits, columnists and social observers. They all characterized James as a greedy, spoiled athlete who cared more about his business interests in China than the slaughter of a reported 400,000 non-Arabs in Darfur.

To be sure, China's record on human rights issues was, and remains, a sensitive topic, especially for James' employer, the NBA, which has had its eyes on China for more than 20 years. And then add the pressure of James' $90 million contract with Nike, which has its own designs on the vast Chinese market. James is so wildly popular there that he already has two China-only marketed shoes and his own museum in Shanghai, filled with artifacts from his life, including a copy of his birth certificate. And right now, China estimates it has 300 million basketball fans -- the same amount as the entire population in the United States.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activism

James, First Lady Michelle Obama, and Dwyane Wade tape a public service announcement in January 2014
James is an active supporter of non-profit organizations, including After-School All-Stars, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, and Children's Defense Fund.[362][363][364] He also has his own charity foundation, the LeBron James Family Foundation, which is based in Akron.[365] Since 2005, the foundation has held an annual bike-a-thon to raise money for various causes.[366] In 2015, James announced a partnership with the University of Akron to provide scholarships for as many as 2,300 children beginning in 2021.[367] In 2016, he donated $2.5 million to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture to support an exhibit on Muhammad Ali.[368] In 2017, he received the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award from the NBA for his "outstanding service and dedication to the community."[369] In November of that same year, the Akron School Board approved the "I Promise School", a public elementary school created in a partnership with the LeBron James Family Foundation to help struggling elementary school students stay in school.[370] James later reflected that it was his most important professional accomplishment of his life. The school officially opened on July 30, 2018.[371]

Throughout his career, James has taken stances on controversial issues. On several occasions, he mentioned a feeling of obligation to affect change using his status.[372] Those include the War in Darfur,[373][374][375][376] the Trayvon Martin case,[377] the now-former NBA owner Donald Sterling's racist comments in 2014,[372] the Michael Brown verdict,[378] and the death of Eric Garner.[379] Following a racist incident at his Los Angeles home in 2017, James expressed, "being black in America is tough. We got a long way to go for us as a society and for us as African Americans until we feel equal in America."[380] Later on that year, in the aftermath of the Unite the Right rally, James questioned the "Make America Great Again" slogan and said, "It's sad what's going on in Charlottesville. Is this the direction our country is heading? Make America Great Again huh?" He then said that "Our youth deserve better!!"[381] James also called Trump a "bum" after the president rescinded a White House invitation to Stephen Curry.[382] During a 2018 interview with CNN journalist Don Lemon, James accused Trump for attempting to divide the country with sports, suggesting that "sports has never been something that divides people it's always been something that brings someone together." He declared he would "never sit across from him. I'd sit across from Barack though."[383] In response, Trump tweeted, "LeBron James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon. He made LeBron look smart, which isn't easy to do."[384] James has supported Colin Kaepernick in the aftermath of his participation in the national anthem protests, claiming that he was being "blackballed" from a new contract in the National Football League, and that he would hire him if he owned a football team.[385] He has worn his clothing in a show of support several times.[386][387]

In June 2008, James donated $20,000 to a committee to elect Barack Obama as president.[388] Later that year, James gathered almost 20,000 people at the Quicken Loans Arena for a viewing of Obama's 30-minute American Stories, American Solutions television advertisement.[389] The advertisement was shown on a large screen above the stage, where Jay-Z later held a free concert.[389] In November 2016, James endorsed and campaigned for Hillary Clinton for the 2016 presidential election.[390][391
Small snip.

This is my biggest issue I think with Lebron. It's easy to be an activist when you have nothing to lose by speaking out.

It's what makes what Rosa Parks did so poignant. Unless you're Robert Freeman

from 2008

"

Activism

Lebron is dumb. I mean, really dumb. Listening to him stutter yesterday about Morey, having trouble articulating what what was going to say. Even before this I couldn't figure out why anyone gave him the time of day. Any "Goat" that can't win half of his championship games needs to shut up and dribble.

Back