Least impressive Champ

i dont hate you bruh... you had the balls to say it first... we were all thinking it. lol

TJ is no more 'clearly' the best than Lawler.

Lawler has 3 recent victories against top 5 guys proving he can consistently compete at that level, TJ has 1 over Barao. There's a bigger chance that Barao was having an off day/just got caught/is a good matchup for TJ etc. than those things applying to all 3 of Rory, Brown, AND Hendricks.

TJ is no more 'clearly' the best than Lawler.

Lawler has 3 recent victories against top 5 guys proving he can consistently compete at that level, TJ has 1 over Barao. There's a bigger chance that Barao was having an off day/just got caught/is a good matchup for TJ etc. than those things applying to all 3 of Rory, Brown, AND Hendricks.

i also agree... but the bw division is kinda stale right now and i dont see a whole lot of guys fighting at the top levels just yet.... theres so many killers in ww... its anybody's game right now... i definitely think robbie is a "better" champion...

Lawler is clearly the least impressive champion. In a lot of people's minds he lost to Hendricks. So there is that.

Then it's probably Cain, whose style does not leave good impressions. He fights a little ugly.

The third place in my book goes to Mighty Mouse. He did little to impress against Bagautinov.

(least impressive)
1. Lawler
2. Cain
3. Mighty Mouse

Don't hate me but it is Lawler in that I don't think he is clearly the best at 170 where as it's pretty clear that the other champions are the best.

His journey though is most impressive.

I agree. Lawler can get grapplefucked on any given night by a jon fitch or woodley

Hopefully Cain comes back healthy. He will beat all those guys you listed. Why would you add Roy and Arlovski? Haha Cain easily destroys them! Werdum is an interesting matchup, Browne poses some problems, Miocic has excellent boxing and TDD.. Hunt just has a punchers chance!

I added all of them to make the point that Cain hasn't fought much of anyone in the Top 10. I specifically stated that part of that list doesn't have much of a chance. Between five fights with two guys and his injury issues Cain is in a weaker position. I think a lot depends on how well he recovers from his injuries. Which I actually hope he recovers well. Roy and Arlovski have a powerful knockout punch though the chances would be very low for either one to get a win.

After reading some later posts. I would now agree that Lawler is probably the most vulnerable not because he is weak but because that division has extreme competition right now.

So Cain is not impressive because he doesn't entertain you?

I'll say Esparza or Lawler (since I think he should have lost the 2nd Hendricks fight). Overall, they are all pretty good.

Lawler is the obvious answer to me. No title defenses. Won the title in a very close decision which some people though he lost. I don't think anyone would say he's definitely and unquestionably the best at 170.

Don't hate me but it is Lawler in that I don't think he is clearly the best at 170 where as it's pretty clear that the other champions are the best.

His journey though is most impressive.

I don't care what anyone else says, this is the correct answer to me.

Cain, Jones, Weidman, Pettis, Aldo, MM and Ronda all routinely look much better than their opponents. Not always, but the vast majority of the time. It's a bit early to tell for TJ, which is the only reason I didn't include him on the list, but he is very good.

Lawler on the other hand lost a close decision to Hendricks,mthen squeeeeeeeeeaked by him in the rematch. There are other WW fighters that could take Lawler too. He's a great guy, super exciting and looks like he loves what he does, but as a champ he doesn't impress as much as anyone else.

So Cain is not impressive because he doesn't entertain you?

I'll say Esparza or Lawler (since I think he should have lost the 2nd Hendricks fight). Overall, they are all pretty good.

lol, Esparza took down and finished her opponent to earn her crown. Lawler put it on Hendricks for a good three minutes of a twenty five minute fight.

Lawler is clearly the least impressive champion. In a lot of people's minds he lost to Hendricks. So there is that.

Then it's probably Cain, whose style does not leave good impressions. He fights a little ugly.

The third place in my book goes to Mighty Mouse. He did little to impress against Bagautinov.

(least impressive)
1. Lawler
2. Cain
3. Mighty Mouse

I am baffled by these picks.

In Lawler's defense, he may not have impressed in becoming champ, but if you include his run to the title he has 3X as many top 5 wins as TJ.

Love Lawler, but I thought Hendricks won. Sad but true.

In Lawler's defense, he may not have impressed in becoming champ, but if you include his run to the title he has 3X as many top 5 wins as TJ.

Yeah, but the thread title is "Least impressive champ", nobody talks about top wins or quality of opposition.

Lawler is clearly the most unimpressive of the bunch, since the fight was a toss up.

TJ put a clinic on Barao and looked flawless in his last performances. Yes he put a clinic on Soto as well.

And then you have Mighty Mouse who threw like 2 low kicks for 3 rds against Ali... And ritznii wonder why I think he's not that impressive. Well...

Yeah, but the thread title is "Least impressive champ", nobody talks about top wins or quality of opposition.

Lawler is clearly the most unimpressive of the bunch, since the fight was a toss up.

TJ put a clinic on Barao and looked flawless in his last performances. Yes he put a clinic on Soto as well.

And then you have Mighty Mouse who threw like 2 low kicks for 3 rds against Ali... And ritznii wonder why I think he's not that impressive. Well...

I get it. The Bagautinov fight didn't impress you. Have you seen literally any of his other title fights? The last time he looked mortal was damn near three years ago. And then he came back to outclass McCall. You've gotta go back four to one of his only two losses and that one was to a prime Cruz at a higher weightclass. Guy's been ultra impressive since imo. Nothing but GSP level dominance.

Who is currently the least impressive champion the UFC has now? someone who you hear they're fighting and you just go ehhh

I think it's got to be Cain (not due to inactivity) his fights just aren't entertaining, one sided yes, but not entertaining.

My favorite champ is Robbie Lawler but at the same time I have to say he's the least impressive at least as far as dominating his division. Cain's had injury problems but has destroyed the #2 fighter in his division twice. Jones is the best fighter on the planet right now. Weidman's undefeated and beat Anderson. Pettis looks like a huge star in the making. Aldo's been reigning for quite some time. Dillashaw's the only one close to Lawler in this aspect as he's a newer champ although Lawler has way more loses. Demetrious is a beast, so quick and Rosie has no competition.

Lawler has all these guys who could take his belt:

Hendricks in the trilogy
Rory in a rematch
Condit
Larkin rematch
Diaz rematch

Among quite a few others that I can't place my finger on at the moment. That's also why WW is the most exciting division in mma right now, it's anyone's game.

To me it's more impressive to look solid 4 times against 3 great fighters - including the first Hendricks loss here - than to look amazing 1 time against 1 great fighter. Your mileage may vary.

Back