Largest prize for ex wife in history.

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
You're a terrible salesman for marriage =)

I'm coming up on 17 years man. I'm telling you the truth. Some years have been great, others have been absolute shit. THAT is the reality of marriage and why many fail at it. Some time periods are just BAD, but it passes and things get good again if both people want it.

Marriage is challenging. I would never recommend anyone do it unless they can answer some hard questions. People change over long periods of time, its natural so you have to decide now that if she changes for the worse will you stick it out? If you won't then don't get married because.....

It will cost you half your shit and a massive headache to go with the scar on your soul. :icon_lol:

I'm not going to feel any sympathy for a Russian Oligarch who probably got most of it from lying, cheating, and stealing in the first place.

I'm coming up on 17 years man. I'm telling you the truth. Some years have been great, others have been absolute shit. THAT is the reality of marriage and why many fail at it. Some time periods are just BAD, but it passes and things get good again if both people want it.

Marriage is challenging. I would never recommend anyone do it unless they can answer some hard questions. People change over long periods of time, its natural so you have to decide now that if she changes for the worse will you stick it out? If you won't then don't get married because.....

It will cost you half your shit and a massive headache to go with the scar on your soul. :icon_lol:

I think I could handle just about anything.
I'm no longer worried what she will look like, or if i would stay around if she had an accident, or if she became less exciting and the sex life died down. There isn't much i wouldn't put up with to be with her

Think of her getting fat and lazy, would you stay with her? What if she got a mental illness and was batshit crazy, would you stay with her? What if she just decided one day that she couldn't stand you and talked shit to you all the time, would you stay with her then?

the only one i would have a problem is with is if she couldn't stand me anymore. That just seems so weird to me. The other things would be her being a TERRIBLE mother, or chronic cheating. But I could see giving up half as a terrific deal in order to leave a hellish relationship. And i guess that brings us back to your point.

My parents have a great marriage, and almost my entire family does, save 2 divorces in 60+ years. Her as well.

We have some ways to go before we get engaged, but I am certain for the first time in my life, she is the one.

Although I did start this thread, after reading the details I'd have to say this is one of the very few occasions I agree with that much money being settled. They were together since the beginning and that money was both of theirs by the sounds of it. Unless she was an absolute bag of shit of a wife, which I doubt because he had many options and they stayed together for 27 years. She is likely emotionally attached to some of their assets many of which she would need insane amounts of money to keep.

I think I could handle just about anything.
I'm no longer worried what she will look like, or if i would stay around if she had an accident, or if she became less exciting and the sex life died down. There isn't much i wouldn't put up with to be with her

the only one i would have a problem is with is if she couldn't stand me anymore. That just seems so weird to me. The other things would be her being a TERRIBLE mother, or chronic cheating. But I could see giving up half as a terrific deal in order to leave a hellish relationship. And i guess that brings us back to your point.

My parents have a great marriage, and almost my entire family does, save 2 divorces in 60+ years. Her as well.

We have some ways to go before we get engaged, but I am certain for the first time in my life, she is the one.

If all that is true then I would marry her, she is the one. Its not going to get better than that in terms of your own mental outlook. And I don't mean to give you the wrong idea, I love my wife but not all times have been good times. Just sorta the way it is.

I'm not sure if anybody answered my question. But doesn't anybody know if he can dodge this court decision it being in Switzerland? If he's a Russian can't he just throw money at the Russian government? Not that he would be right to do so. Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if anybody answered my question. But doesn't anybody know if he can dodge this court decision it being in Switzerland? If he's a Russian can't he just through money at the Russian government? Not that he would be right to do so. Just curious.

It's an interesting question. Considering he is an Oligarch he will undoubtedly be very well connected with extremely corrupt networks of people, and have access to every loop hole there is.

If he did end up losing the money, I would be interested to see where it really goes.

It's an interesting question. Considering he is an Oligarch he will undoubtedly be very well connected with extremely corrupt networks of people, and have access to every loop hole there is.

If he did end up losing the money, I would be interested to see where it really goes.

Thing is if she was with him 27 years and he goes out of his way to make sure she gets nothing, or very little, doesn't that make him the shit bag?

Thing is if she was with him 27 years and he goes out of his way to make sure she gets nothing, or very little, doesn't that make him the shit bag?

Being a shit bag or not I don't think would play into it. There is money on the line here. Lot's of money!

I don't think the people that end up in his position are too hung up on morals and being a good person when it comes to business decisions.

Yeah. Some divorce settlements are bullshit - like, say, Paul McCartney - when everything he is and has was created before the ho came along.
But when they're a couple from well before the wealth flows, that's different.

McCartney has no one but himself to blame. He should have made her sign a damn prenup.

I'm not going to feel any sympathy for a Russian Oligarch who probably got most of it from lying, cheating, and stealing in the first place.

star-trek-nodding.gif

Arguably the best IDL post ever.

So it's not unusual for a spouse to get half of marital assets after a divorce. What you guys are really (!) upset about is a rich guy got treated the same as regular people. What's the alternative? Maybe a separate set of laws for the rich?

I'm with you on this. I don't see the outrage. how else are they supposed to do it? 50/50 seems like the most fair compromise.

McCartney has no one but himself to blame. He should have made her sign a damn prenup.
McCartney got off easy. He paid out well less than 10%.
Even if he'd paid out half, I wouldn't have cared.

It's just amazing that the act of marrying and divorcing can earn you $4.5B.

There are people that are brilliant, slave their whole life, or even do things with an immense benefit to society, or private enterprise etc etc and only ever make a fraction of that.

walks away?

the man has been robbed of 4.5bn

if it were me id burn the entire 9bn and vomit in the whores face

They were married for over 20 years AND she married him before he was rich. How is he being robbed?

Last edited:
Heh, I like Penn man. My point was that marriage is an agreement to the death. Sounds corny but it is what it is. The penalty for breaking that is huge. Maybe people should specify that they don't believe it is to the death but not even sure if the law would recognize the changing of the vows.

completely agree with this. Great post. Too many couple these days start fighting and think all too hard, time for a divorce.

Fuck that, you made a commitment you work it out.

Arguably*

But, even without one, it's completely illogical and inexcusable for the "justice" system to have awarded her what they did.

* If you're an old dude and you have a chance to hook up with a good looking younger woman who you really love and you think they love you, but they insist on marriage with no prenup, are you better off

a) Marry them and take your chances on staying together, although either way you'll probably still have far more money than you need anyway, or
b) Take your chances with finding someone else

Not really one always right answer.

It's just amazing that the act of marrying and divorcing can earn you $4.5B.

There are people that are brilliant, slave their whole life, or even do things with an immense benefit to society, or private enterprise etc etc and only ever make a fraction of that.

Ummmm ... yeah. Did you not get the word? Just being born into the right family can make you a billionaire. Dumbasses get billions for nothing more than having the right familial relation. What's more, in older eras dumbasses would inherit entire kingdoms and empires, essentially for no good reason apart from accident of birth.

Next to being born into it, marriage has always been the easiest way to make money.

However it's not quite that simple, because if you marry somebody without money (like this woman), while you theoretically get half the upside if they strike it rich ... the odds of that are extremely low. So it's not like she did nothing, she and her husband united their finances way back when he had nothing. It's like investing in Microsoft at the very beginning ... it's the early commitment, the early bet, that pays off.

On the other hand, if you are marrying into money and you don't have any yourself, usually that money will be locked up tight with a prenup and/or other legal protections.

That's why it's so rare for this sort of thing to happen at this level.

Arguably*

But, even without one, it's completely illogical and inexcusable for the "justice" system to have awarded her what they did.

Not really... Marriage is basically a contract to share your assets till death due you part. Everyone is aware of the risks should that contract be severed without a prenup.

* If you're an old dude and you have a chance to hook up with a good looking younger woman who you really love and you think they love you, but they insist on marriage with no prenup, are you better off

a) Marry them and take your chances on staying together, although either way you'll probably still have far more money than you need anyway, or
b) Take your chances with finding someone else

Not really one always right answer.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see pussy blindness as a valid excuse unless you're willing to accept the consequences.

Maybe he actually, you know, loved her. Is that really so unfathomable to you guys?

Back