LA Times Bill Plaschke blasts Ronda Rousey for deciding to fight Holly Holm

Bill Polski has shown numerous times on Around the Horn that he knows literally nothing about MMA and he know just above nothing when it comes to boxing.

He is an all around flaccid wet fart and should stick to eating paczkis and pierogies.

Plaschke+Dog.jpg

And I saw Holly struggle with Raquel Pennington in a kickboxing match.

If no one wants the Tate fight, they should have booked the Nunes fight.

I agree that Nunes is the more appealing matchup, but Holm has the shorter expiration date. They're making hay while the sun shines. Considering how thin the division is, I can't really fault them for that.

Problem is ufc is a business, not a backyard whos the toughest around competition. No way they do a catch weight fight. Theres no division above 135 for women, so legit no place for cyborg after this fight. From a promotional stand point that would be a terrible investment

No it wouldn't. Ronda goes out of her way try to beat the Invicta champ in a huge PPV match.

Ducking Miesha?

Seriously Bill Plaschke is an idiot

He's right on one thing Holm doesn't belong in there. But I doubt she's ducking anyone, I think Ronda just wants this fight so she can say she's beaten "a former boxing champion"

Bill doesn't realize the UFC made the move to make the most money. And Rousey had Jack shit to do with it. Embarrassing how little he research he did.

ronda_rousey_vs_tate_full_fight_video_strikeforce_allthebestfights.jpg

Ronda-Rousey.jpg

Cyborg isn't in the same org or weight class as RRR. So???

GTFO

Thanks to this thread, MMA fans worldwide finally learned something that us Californians have already known: Bill Plaschke from the LA Times is a giant idiot.

Tough situation. Us fans have watched tate lose twice already to RR. Sure Tate may have earned her way back to a title shot, but at the same time we want to see RR fight something new, and whether we can agree or disagree that Holms is not ready for RR, at this point the BW division has no one left for RR to fight.

I think discussions about who RR should fight can be more warranted after her Holm's fight. Depending on how the fight goes, if its a fast and quick win for RR, then discussions about Cyborg go from unlike to most likely, because she RR decides to fight Tate after Holms, then RR should just retire early. There is no one left for RR to fight, and I don't know how much longer the UFC can continue to sell her and market her when there is no one left to fight.

For now aside from Tate, the Cyborg arguments have merit when you discuss the weight difference, cutting and the fact that the UFC doesn't have a 145 division...making a one off fight is tough to sell. But I think if RR finishes Holms as most expect her to do, the talks of a Cyborg fight are going to become a harsh reality and seemingly the last legitimate fight left to make.

I honestly don't know what else the UFC can do to sell RR after this Holm's fight. There is no one left. Nobody. Either retire or start accepting the fact that a possible catch weight, non title fight against Cyborg is the last realistic option.

Plaschke is just trying to stay relevant by talking about something that few actual sports writers are.

i think waiting on the Tate fight is the smartest thing UFC has done for awhile. I know that Meisha will want the fight anytime. But 8-9 months, maybe even a year down the line, that Tate fight is going to be much more intriguing. Especially if Tate can take down two other fighters like she has been doing.

He's wrong for the most part.

Except for one point - that Holm is the big money fight available right now. He's right about that. I don't think the UFC wants a catchweight fight with Cyborg because it leaves WMMA in limbo (and I'm not so sure that would sell as well as Sherdog seems to think it would), and it's very hard to sell Rousey/Tate 3.

Ducking Tate, she destroyed her twice. And I love Miesha. But facts are facts.

Ducking Cyborg, I think it's more likely than not. Definitely a lot moreso than Miesha. So he's half right.

That's a better rating than his NFL Football "expertise"

Thanks to this thread, MMA fans worldwide finally learned something that us Californians have already known: Bill Plaschke from the LA Times is a giant idiot.
Our rep in CO on Around the Horn Woody is the shit. Sorry you got a bum one.

No it wouldn't. Ronda goes out of her way try to beat the Invicta champ in a huge PPV match.

Makes zero sense for long term gains. They would spend hundreds of thousands promoting an athlete in cyborg that isn't an asset for them. Its pretty basic to understand why it isn't beneficial for them. If they could set it up in a way where there is a home for cyborg after the fight like introducing a 145 division then a catch weight fight could possibly make sense. As of now it does not even almost in the slightest make a bit of sense from a business standpoint

If they were a dying company and needed some quick revenue and exposure then a cross promotional fight between the 2 champs would at least have an upside to it. But zuffa isn't hurting and doesn't need this fight to keep their company profitable

So in short, your wrong. good talk tho

It's okay if you didn't already know, but no one should ever, ever pay any attention to almost anything Bill Plaschke has to say. It is perfectly safe to forget the man exists...there is nothing you'll miss.

Makes zero sense for long term gains. They would spend hundreds of thousands promoting an athlete in cyborg that isn't an asset for them. Its pretty basic to understand why it isn't beneficial for them. If they could set it up in a way where there is a home for cyborg after the fight like introducing a 145 division then a catch weight fight could possibly make sense. As of now it does not even almost in the slightest make a bit of sense from a business standpoint

If they were a dying company and needed some quick revenue and exposure then a cross promotional fight between the 2 champs would at least have an upside to it. But zuffa isn't hurting and doesn't need this fight to keep their company profitable

Ronda should be demanding Cyborg at any weight class. This is the same women who could beat up Cain Velasquez under the right circumstances.

It doesn't really matter what the UFC thinks is "lucrative." The ball is in Ronda's court. If she demands Cyborg signed to fight the UFC would undoubtedly give it to her.

This guy is as relevant as Kevin Iole.

i.e: Irrelevant.

Ronda should be demanding Cyborg at any weight class. This is the same women who could beat up Cain Velasquez under the right circumstances.

It doesn't really matter what the UFC thinks is "lucrative." The ball is in Ronda's court. If she demands Cyborg signed to fight the UFC would undoubtedly give it to her.

that's how little you know about how business works lol
no way ufc does that fight at catch weight

He should stick to mainstream sports and I don't even like Wmma

that's how little you know about how business works lol
no way ufc does that fight at catch weight

What's your title in the UFC chief? Your job title I mean?

If Ronda wants it Ronda gets it. She's their cash cow right now. It must be you who doesn't understand how business works.

Dana once flew with Chuck to Japan to compete in Pride's LHW tournament. Because that was his star, so he accommodated him. The same thing would happen here if Ronda demanded that fight.

Are they making any money with Cyborg now? No.
Would a fight between Ronda and Cyborg gather huge interest? Yes.
Do they need to spend thousands of dollars promoting Cyborg? No more than they have with any other can she's fighting.

So, they would spend the same but for a huge revenue. After that, they can do whatever with Cyborg, she's not a draw for them anyway.

The downside would be Ronda get beaten, so it's a huge gamble. If she beat Cyborg, no one would care about a 145 division where the champ has just lost to the inferior one.

Lol. "good talk tho". Yeah, your are the man Mr. Right.

It's funny how he paints the Miesha fight as "the third fight in a trilogy." Yes, a trilogy in which Miesha was thoroughly outclassed and destroyed in both fights. Nobody is happy with that fight--or really any other fight when it comes to Honda, to be honest.

This is the best the UFC can do right now....

If Ronda wants it Ronda gets it. She's their cash cow right now. It must be you who doesn't understand how business works.

Dana once flew with Chuck to Japan to compete in Pride's LHW tournament. Because that was his star, so he accommodated him. The same thing would happen here if Ronda demanded that fight.

lol no matter how much ronda demands for this fight to happen above 135 ufc would not let it happen for business reasons. its not rocket science and it blows my mind people cant grasp something so simple.

Dana was his manager at the time and they were not working under zuffa lol completely different man.

She beat Tate twice no one cares if they fought a third time. Cyborg claims she can't make weight so that's cyborgs problem.

It wasn't to accommodate Chuck at all, it wss an attempt to show up PRIDE by having Chuck winn the tournament. You know nothing of what you speak. They made the biggest draw they ever had (Brock Lesnar) make weight when he asked to fight above 265 so they are consistent.

Are they making any money with Cyborg now? No.
Would a fight between Ronda and Cyborg gather huge interest? Yes.
Do they need to spend thousands of dollars promoting Cyborg? No more than they have with any other can she's fighting.

So, they would spend the same but for a huge revenue. After that, they can do whatever with Cyborg, she's not a draw for them anyway.

The downside would be Ronda get beaten, so it's a huge gamble. If she beat Cyborg, no one would care about a 145 division where the champ has just lost to the inferior one.

Lol. "good talk tho". Yeah, your are the man Mr. Right.

lol promoting a fight isn't cheap. Yes they would spend lots of money promoting cyborg, also I am right. it doesn't make business sense at all for them to do a fight in a weight class above the highest weight class they hold with a fighter who will no longer compete for their organization.

blows my mind you cant understand that lol, but yes, yes I am right,. thanks tips

I have no desire to see Ronda fight Tate again. How times do you gotta beat someone? Just because Tate lasted into the third round doesn't mean their last fight was competitive.

At least Holm should have the footwork to avoid Ronda's straight-line rush for a bit.

Shes def afraid to fight cyborg, Tate dont matter though.

Back