LA Times Bill Plaschke blasts Ronda Rousey for deciding to fight Holly Holm

Didn't there used to be an snl sketch about this guy back in the day? Is he a bears fan?

"ducking....Tate" - Hahahahaahahahahahahahhahhahahahhahahahaahahahahahahahha.

She isn't ducking anyone. She is planning her fights in a very careful (and lucrative) order. Eventually, she'll have run through everyone and all this "ducking" talk will seem (even more) foolish.

Jarl

Well, I didn't know LA Times hires idiots. Cyborg has another fight and has to make 135 for the Ronda fight to be in discussion. She's fought at 145 in both SF & Invicta. So that's off the table, for now.

Then there's Tate, who lost to her twice, lopsidedly. A McMann rematch also won't happen anytime soon as she lost to Nunes, while Cat hasn't fought since losing in 8 seconds.

So it's between Nunes & Holm, and they chose Holm since she's a star in boxing. I would've preferred Nunes, she's in the realistic discussion unlike Cyborg, but Holm does have at least technical striking over Ronda and she's a good athlete. Undefeated, too. Not that bad considering the options, but I agree it's too early from Holly's standpoint.

LA times Bill is right. It was a DNB move on the part of Ronda and the UFC.

This poll is a perfect example of what is wrong with the ppl on sherdog

Meisha has fought and lost 2 times to Rhonda.
Not sure how you can duck someone that you have accepted to fight 2 times already and won both times...but yea ok retard alert.

Cyborg is not even in the UFC and is not even in the same weight class....again that comment is ridiculous.

Cyborg needs to prove she can make 135 then Dana needs to sign her and I would LOVE to see that fight but as it stands the comment about ducking is stupid.

Punching power. Her wrestling looks a little sharper, too.

Ok. I still think shes the same low skilled, durable, advantage taking fighter she always was. Outside of the Eye fight, none of her other bouts leads me to believe she has anything for Rousey

stop with this holly holm isn't ready crap holly turns 34 next week and has been in combat sport for like 15 years with kickboxing,boxing and now MMA and has 9 mma fights under her belt and 2 in the ufc

if you think someone who is turning 34 and has been fighting for 15 years isn't ready then she will never be ready

I think he's calling it ducking in a sense that Tate is the only fighter that ever actually gave Ronda a fight, even brought her in to the 3rd round the last time they fought. Holm on the other hand is fully expected to get wrecked in round 1.

It seems a little shady the UFC already announced Rousey vs. Tate III then magically make the change. Seems Ronda made that decision not the UFC.

This.

How is it that Anderson, while champion, had 3 fights above his weight class? Thats 3 victory's in addition to his record number of title defenses. When his division needed sorted out he fought at LHW until a contender was found. Jones got 2 back to back MWs to pad his record. Even with Aldo the UFC had LWs drop down instead of letting him fight some scrub from his own division.

I really don't see the problem with a one off non title fight for Ronda considering that she's cleaned out her division for the time being.

I know Ronda calling this her toughest fight is a joke.

He brings up some reasonable points, but he's uninformed and misguided with who he's directing them at. Dana, the Fertittas, Shelby (maybe) and the UFC switched Tate for Holm. As far as any of us know, Rousey had nothing to do with it and just accepted the fight. Is it possible that she initiated it and actually asked for Holm? Yes, but we can only go on what we've been told. Even if she did, I don't blame her - facing and beating an unbeaten former boxing champion is very good for her resume and will only further build her legacy.

Dana should never have verbally guaranteed Miesha the next shot. As a Miesha fan, I'm still annoyed at him for it, but Rousey vs. Holm has really grown on me, especially seeing what they're doing in terms of promotion for it.

Ronda's making millions for a 30 second fight while this poor bastard is writing for a newspaper.

I'll continue to support mma thanks. Instead of bashing it.

Cringeworthy. At least he's trying to understand and getting involved lol

Ok. I still think shes the same low skilled, durable, advantage taking fighter she always was. Outside of the Eye fight, none of her other bouts leads me to believe she has anything for Rousey

I think low skilled is unfair. In this neophyte division, she shows skills that separate her from the pack. She's one of the toughest and most durable fighters in the sport, is reasonable well rounded, and is probably the hardest hitter outside of Ronda and Amanda. She may not have much for Ronda, but Ronda is far and away better than everyone. I think she has a better shot than the rest of the girls.

plaschke's rant makes him look like a whining crybaby. tate already had two fights against ronda and both were losses by armbar submission. this is a known fact. there's no need for a third fight to confirm what is already known.

whether holm will do any better against ronda, it can be speculated until the fight happens. given those two options, let holm take a crack at ronda and see how the fight ends. as much as the betting odds favor ronda, i'll pay $60 to watch ronda vs holm instead of a third fight between ronda vs tate.
Exactly. The fans don't want to see a third fight between the two, that's a big (biggest?) factor. When Cyborg decides she wants to be a bantamweight, she can fight the bantamweight champion.

Gus walked into the Jones fight as a huge underdog and was expected to get steamrolled. That ended up being one of the greatest LHW battles of all time, and Gus saw a tremendous career boost. This is MMA, the unexpected can happen.

In tandem with the above, it's time for Cormier vs Bader.

LA times Bill is right. It was a DNB move on the part of Ronda and the UFC.

If she's a DNB, then she's a DNB who has also dominated Tate twice. Why should I care that Tate isn't receiving armbar finish #3 so soon?

Bill Plaschke sounds like a misinformed idiot.

I think low skilled is unfair. In this neophyte division, she shows skills that separate her from the pack. She's one of the toughest and most durable fighters in the sport, is reasonable well rounded, and is probably the hardest hitter outside of Ronda and Amanda. She may not have much for Ronda, but Ronda is far and away better than everyone. I think she has a better shot than the rest of the girls.

It's still no shot at all. At least we haven't seen Rousey vs Holm twice yet.

Plaschke is a douche and the only reason he's saying anything about ronda is for some quick and easy exposure

Sorry buddy, but it looks more like protecting Tate than anything.

That would be a fair assessment if Miesha was passed up for Amanda Nunes. This is going to be Rondas second opponent in a row with zero top 10 wins.

lol the guy is a tool, like Ronda chose Holm,

and surely Holm is more of a challenge than the woman she's between twice

I remember this guy calling mma barbaric and wanted nothing to do with it on the show around the horn. I wouldn't listen to his opinion on this at all

She's definitely ducking cyborg as long as she possibly can, its downright blatant and obvious to anyone with an open mind. Keeps changing her excuses whenever cyborg complies with another one.

However. The Holm thing isn't really her fault. It's definitely a home on the UFC's part, but Honda just fights who the give her.

hahah what??

How is she ducking cyborg that literally makes no sense. The only excuse for why this fight isn't happening is the ufc doesn't have a division above 135 and cyborg doesn't want to cut to 135. How is that rondas problem?
Don't tell me your one of those people who think if ronda wanted the fight above 135 that ufc would actually do it?

Ronda ducking Meisha is up there with Cain ducking JDS & Edgar ducking BJ Penn... brutal. Why are we talking about this idiot?

I wish he was right, because I don't care too much for Ronda, but she already beat Miesha twice. And without any doubts. She doesn't need to fight Miesha ever again.

But she could do a catchweight with Cyborg, no belt involved, just to settle this once and for all. Or at least say something like, "no, she's to big, so it's not going to happen." instead of this asking for her to make some weight that no one believes she can.

Holm is an undefeated fighter who has some advantages over RR. Yes she is the underdog but I think she can win. She's also 33. It makes sense to do this fight now. Strike while the iron is hot. Seeing Tate fight again makes less sense.

stop with this holly holm isn't ready crap holly turns 34 next week and has been in combat sport for like 15 years with kickboxing,boxing and now MMA and has 9 mma fights under her belt and 2 in the ufc

if you think someone who is turning 34 and has been fighting for 15 years isn't ready then she will never be ready

It really is annoying. She's as ready as she's ever gonna be. Waiting any longer to.make the fight doesn't help her any.

I truly feel that Holm is her biggest challenge yet, and I can't understand how people just dismiss her. I think MMA has introduced many people to combat sports in the last few years, resulting in much of its fanbase not really being knowledgeable fight fans.

Holly's great at controlling the distance and working constantly. She's got one of the best coaches in MMA making up a gameplan to capitalize on the advantages she has over Ronda. This fight is infinitely more dangerous than a third fight with Tate.

That would be a fair assessment if Miesha was passed up for Amanda Nunes. This is going to be Rondas second opponent in a row with zero top 10 wins.

Nunes and Tate will continue to be around. The Holm fight probably has a shorter expiration date. Don't worry, Nunes will get her arm bar soon enough.

Olympic Judo Medallist & MMA Champ vs Boxing World Champ Who Takes MMA Seriously is the kind of matchup people used to cream themselves about, and still would if it happened in the men's side of things.

I understand people's hangups with this fight but (hey, is it Ronda's fault she's so dominant right now?)... it's still what MMA is supposed to be all about to me, at the end of the day.

This dude is 100% right.

LOL @ Holly Holm and her dancing. Nobody wants to see that in a fucking title fight.

Ronda by armbar in round. You guys just watch...

I've been resigned to reading Bill Plaschke articles for most of my adult life. The guy is garbage.

I wish he was right, because I don't care too much for Ronda, but she already beat Miesha twice. And without any doubts. She doesn't need to fight Miesha ever again.

But she could do a catchweight with Cyborg, no belt involved, just to settle this once and for all. Or at least say something like, "no, she's to big, so it's not going to happen." instead of this asking for her to make some weight that no one believes she can.

Problem is ufc is a business, not a backyard whos the toughest around competition. No way they do a catch weight fight. Theres no division above 135 for women, so legit no place for cyborg after this fight. From a promotional stand point that would be a terrible investment

It's still no shot at all. At least we haven't seen Rousey vs Holm twice yet.

And I saw Holly struggle with Raquel Pennington in a kickboxing match.

If no one wants the Tate fight, they should have booked the Nunes fight.

This fucking barnacle just attaching himself to a party boat

Ducking a girl you've dominated twice

Ducking a girl who fights in a different weight class, organization, and who has a title shot waiting if she only loses 10lbs

Bill Plaschke would fit in with Diggem, Shaddows, and the other retarded Ronda haters here.

Last Empress Bless

Didn't Rhonda called out Gina Carano to stop making movies and fight her at 145 lbs.?

So many people shitting on Holly. She is a legit combat athlete. A lot of the perception is Hollys fault though, she has fought super timid in the UFC. Ronda's aggressive style won't allow her to sit back and I am curious if that will bring out the best in Holly. I could she her catching Ronda with a kick, knee or counterpunch in a scramble that might change the fight.

Here is hoping we see Psycho Holly

So many people shitting on Holly. She is a legit combat athlete. A lot of the perception is Hollys fault though, she has fought super timid in the UFC. Ronda's aggressive style won't allow her to sit back and I am curious if that will bring out the best in Holly. I could she her catching Ronda with a kick, knee or counterpunch in a scramble that might change the fight.

Here is hoping we see Psycho Holly

I've really liked what I've seen from her in the staredowns so far. Yeah, she was timid against Pennington, a bit more relaxed against Reneau....but maybe when faced with the ultimate monster in front of her, the very best will be brought out of her. It'd be great for all those Aussie fans and all of us watching on TV if it was a competitive fight.

Back