Khamzat and Yoels performances against Rob shows once again there is a big difference between MMA wrestling and wrestling

Romero was a top level wrestler but didn't fight like Khamzat so I don't think you can make the comparison with those two.

I thought Rob was doing ok defending until his jaw snapped. He escaped once, did get taken down again, but was protecting the RNC. Probably thought he was ok being over the chin until he felt bones breaking. Crazy strength shown by Khamzat there. Cirkunov is the only other guy I remember that pulled off a sub like that.

Yoel was already old by the time he started doing MMA. His gas tank was very limited. He used his wrestling mainly to create openings in the UFC. I really don't think he had too much of his desire to get into an exhausting grappling match. And yeah, Yoel probably did the minimal to maintain his wrestling.

Khamzat is a full-fledged grappler. I'm not sure if I want to ever entertain the idea about his wrestling being better than prime Yoel, but Khamzats submission game and back control is without a doubt better in mma

I think it's the sambo elements that make them so good in MMA.

I can't think of a pure freestyle wrestler that has been an elite MMA wrestler. Maybe there are some, but none come to mind.
Early DC and lots of the early lighter weights. Early Faber...But all those guys quickly added other elements.

Coleman and Kerr

Ehhhh ... I think what matters more is that Romero was a freestyle wrestler, which doesn't translate as well to MMA as folkstyle or Dagestani type smothering top control.

The dagestani top control really is what Khabib learned from Leo vieras brother at aka . Leg lacing and taking the back.

Yoel is a prime example of a pure wrestler who doesn’t learn to do jiujitsu at a high level. They have no control.

Khamzat ground game is sick. That isn’t just wrestling. His wrestling shots are amazing but then his transitions to the back and on the ground is all jiujitsu. That’s what the Dagestan fighters have done, combine wrestling with it’s and also have learned how to maintain that back control from the turtle position so people can’t just stand up anymore

Early DC and lots of the early lighter weights. Early Faber...But all those guys quickly added other elements.

Coleman and Kerr
Coleman and Kerr were dominant in early mma with pure wrestling and ground and pound but they didn’t learn enough jiujitsu. They only learned to defend.

Sambo gets too much recognation. Sambo they trained was a Combat Sambo / Pankration.

Helps very little in wrestling.

Sakbo gets way too much recognition. Fedor trained a lot of sambo and he never had control like they did. Great at hitting submissions not great at transitioning or passing guard

With all respect to Cormier he isn't the best wrestler in UFC history. He couldn't TD Jon Jones.

Khabib, Khabib & Islam all have been into freestyle wrestling from the childhood.
He took down jones once. Also jon jones is condifrrrd the greatest. Khabib and Islam haven’t fought a Jon jones level

Back