Khalil roundtree as champ

It'll always be serra. And depending on what context the question specifically is asking dillashaw could also be an answer. With hindsight it's obviously easy to see how TJ dispatched barao like that. But absolutely nobody saw that shit coming when he stepped in as a late notice replacement after losing in the tuf finale by stoppage, with kind of a nothing record, and a fairly recent loss to his name.

Khalil's chin is a liability, otherwise he's a straight killer

One of the biggest punchers in the division on a 5 fight win streak isn’t that unlikely tbh. I don’t think he’s getting enough credit. He’s had a few losses in the past but it’s not as bad as people think.

The same guys glazing Anlaev who got subbed by Paul Craig are shitting on Rountree who KO’ed Paul Craig.
5 fight win streak yes but over who? Absolute unranked opponents. Add in 5 losses to unranked guys (6 if you include TUF) and his single best win is over the Ghost of no longer ranked Anthony Smith. He literally has not one single Top 10 ranked win. Ank losing to Paul Craig by Hail Mary sub is pretty irrelevant in regards to a fight with Alex Pereira. Since that loss (his only loss) he has 9 wins while Khalil has 7 wins and also 3 losses to Walker, Cutelaba & Marcin Prachino. And since you made the MMAth formula re Paul Craig did you know Ank beat Cutelaba twice, Walker and Prachino all by finish. Same three Khalil lost to with 2 losses by finish.

Has there been a less likely champ before?

And I mean in terms of overall distance from the title and perceived skill set vs the champ

Serra don’t count since he was already considered pretty damn good. Had a black belt back when that meant something. Just fat and didn’t have lw.

Is it pena?
Maybe ankalaev.

Forrest for sure at lhw. Then take. Ank as a draw.

Hill too.

Is this only related to lhw? Because if we go across the division the list grows.

Rountree is a killer striker, I would say his striking is champ level.

How?

He's literally beaten one decent striker in the UFC in Jacoby and everyone thought it was a robbery.

The next best is washed Saki, I guess, but he didn't know how to translate his striking to MMA.

His next best is like Daukus or something lol.

Three unlikely champs: Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans and Tim Sylvia. Who would have guessed any of these three would be UFC champs.

At the time, Shogun vs Machida. Shogun gassing badly against Coleman, even though he beat him. He then ko'd a declining chuck Liddell. Nobody had figured out Machida's puzzle and Shogun, who looked like a shell of himself, was supposed to compete against him?

How?

He's literally beaten one decent striker in the UFC in Jacoby and everyone thought it was a robbery.

The next best is washed Saki, I guess, but he didn't know how to translate his striking to MMA.

His next best is like Daukus or something lol.
The way he strikes. Saki KO"d a dude 1st round before he fought Rountree and was a super favorite to win.

The way he strikes. Saki KO"d a dude 1st round before he fought Rountree and was a super favorite to win.

Bro, that dude Saki KOd in 1 round was a brazilian bum brawler who still rocked and hurt him bad.

I'm a big fan of Rountree, but he's striking looks good because he's doing it against dudes like Roberson and Saki who haven't transferred their kickboxing to MMA at all, or he's doing it against bum level strikers.

Bro, that dude Saki KOd in 1 round was a brazilian bum brawler who still rocked and hurt him bad.

I'm a big fan of Rountree, but he's striking looks good because he's doing it against dudes like Roberson and Saki who haven't transferred their kickboxing to MMA at all, or he's doing it against bum level strikers.
Only so many kickboxers in ufc at LHW, Rountree has a good record against them. To be real I like his aggression and how mean his strikes are. You have to try and counter and outpoint to beat Rountree, which Pereira will walk through the fire. Not trying to imply he's better than prime Saki, but as a new mma fighter that fight stood out to me to watch him since.

I remember people were calling Matt Serra a UFC reject at the time while simultaneously saying GSP was the poster child for the elite of the elite fighters.

Only so many kickboxers in ufc at LHW, Rountree has a good record against them. To be real I like his aggression and how mean his strikes are. You have to try and counter and outpoint to beat Rountree, which Pereira will walk through the fire. Not trying to imply he's better than prime Saki, but as a new mma fighter that fight stood out to me to watch him since.

Yeh look, he has some of the most brutal finishes. What he did to Roberson was nasty. Dude was legit executing. Kicked him in the guts as hard as he could while he was on his knees and then tried to foot stomp his face and murder him but luckily missed haha.

Yeh look, he has some of the most brutal finishes. What he did to Roberson was nasty. Dude was legit executing. Kicked him in the guts as hard as he could while he was on his knees and then tried to foot stomp his face and murder him but luckily missed haha.
True. And also I just feel like he performs better against kickboxers when he knows that it's gonna stay on the feet. Who knows? If he KO's Pereira I wouldn't be shocked

True. And also I just feel like he performs better against kickboxers when he knows that it's gonna stay on the feet. Who knows? If he KO's Pereira I wouldn't be shocked

Yeh, I wouldn't be shocked either. Alex is great, but he's also very hittable. His style isn't going to change either. it's worked against a lot of low level strikers like Jan, Jiri, and Hill, but Rountree hits hard and proper in ways lots of Alex's opponents haven't.

Can't wait for this fight lol.

Matt Serra should count, and he literally only got the title shot for winning the Ultimate Fighter Comeback season
Nah. Bjj black belt .
We saw him get busy with BJ.

Just needed to be PUT on the position.

Roundtree only strikes and has been beat striking by guys who aren’t title Materisl.

Yet here my man is in the title fight

That dude who fought TJ dillashaw for the title in his UFC debut

5 fight win streak yes but over who? Absolute unranked opponents. Add in 5 losses to unranked guys (6 if you include TUF) and his single best win is over the Ghost of no longer ranked Anthony Smith. He literally has not one single Top 10 ranked win. Ank losing to Paul Craig by Hail Mary sub is pretty irrelevant in regards to a fight with Alex Pereira. Since that loss (his only loss) he has 9 wins while Khalil has 7 wins and also 3 losses to Walker, Cutelaba & Marcin Prachino. And since you made the MMAth formula re Paul Craig did you know Ank beat Cutelaba twice, Walker and Prachino all by finish. Same three Khalil lost to with 2 losses by finish.
5 fight win streak over guys the calibre of Anklaev’s wins. Anklaev has a slight edge but people are acting like Paul Craig just got a shot or something…

A win over Johnny Walker isn’t a win that gets you a title shot, especially when you just had one and it was one of the worst title fights of all time. The only reason people are glazing Anklaev is because he’s a neckbeard. If he was American, nobody would give a shit.

No clue why so many want some mythical GOAT wrestler to beat Alex but it ain’t Anklaev who’s more of a striker.

Back