Media Jon Jones interview on Stipe fight: “It’s gonna be the last time, more than likely”

Do you think Bones should (needs to) fight Aspinall after?

• Total voters
He's just trolling Aspinall, I reckon.

If he says he'll fight him next it makes Aspinall look in control.

What he is really trying to say is..............................Buy this PPV it might be my last dance ;)

He is just already negotiating his fight with Tom.

Endeavour will have to open the bank for either jones or stipe to fight Aspinall. If they paid them enough both would accept the fight

This would be incredibly stupid of Jon and he has to know that. If he literally runs away from Tom with the dude standing in the octagon challenging him to unify the belt, Jones will go down as one of, it not the most ducking, running bitches of all time. That will absolutely stick to his legacy long term, especially the way it's been so drawn out, public and obvious. Plus it's the last thing anyone will remember of him. People don't seem to understand that athletes controversies and asterisks only get further magnified after they retire. This multi year duck he's orchestrated is going to be brought up every time his name is mentioned. What a dumbass. Maybe he doesn't care but his fans are going to be left with the burden of pushing a very large boulder up a hill for a very long time.

Jon jones doesn’t need to do anything for anyone. He could have retired after the gane fight, probably even after his last LH weight and would still be considered the GOAT.

He wants to fight stipe, probably cos he beat dc, and to get a fat paycheck and walk away. Thinks he’s been around long enough, and done enough in the sport to go out on his own terms. The ufc owe him that and so should the fans.

He’s still a dirty cheat, I wouldn’t have him in my goat status for not the fact everybody else was probably on peds too.

Aspinall will be promoted to champ and he can fight Alex more than likely Sherbro

I don't think he needs to fight Jon to solidify his status as #3 on the GOAT list, but I def would love to see it. I believe he's angling for a HUGE payday which is why he's being vague about his retirement. I don't think Jon fears Aspinall at all.

And as old as Stipe as, let's stop acting that the fight is already won. As overrated as I think he is, Stipe is no bum.

This would be incredibly stupid of Jon and he has to know that. If he literally runs away from Tom with the dude standing in the octagon challenging him to unify the belt, Jones will go down as one of, it not the most ducking, running bitches of all time. That will absolutely stick to his legacy long term, especially the way it's been so drawn out, public and obvious. Plus it's the last thing anyone will remember of him. People don't seem to understand that athletes controversies and asterisks only get further magnified after they retire. This multi year duck he's orchestrated is going to be brought up every time his name is mentioned. What a dumbass. Maybe he doesn't care but his fans are going to be left with the burden of pushing a very large boulder up a hill for a very long time.
The most important part of your little ramble was “what a dumbass”

I agree sir, you sure sound like one with that post

It will solidify nothing if he wrecks Aspinall because if he wrecks him it was because Aspinall was overrated and only beat overrated Pavlovich and some old folks.
Aspinall has finished 5 fighters currently in the top 10, 3 of which currently in the top 5. Even the biggest Jon Jones hater would have zero grounds to say he's overrated. Anybody making that claim would be trolling or sub 100 IQ.
If Aspinall later comes to dominate the division it was because Aspinall was still green when they fought and Jones wouldn't have a chance against this new Aspinall.
Aspinall already dominated the division, Gane is the only top 5 guy left that he hasn't finished.

I understand what you're trying to convey but it makes zero sense present day. The scenario you're claiming would have been prevalent 2 or 3 fights ago

Power is the last thing to go! I believe stipe will get the job done and we’ll see jones left out cold on the canvas
I really, really hope you're right.

But Jones is one of the most elusive fighters out there. He's hard to land a power shot on.

it's the last thing anyone will remember of him. People don't seem to understand that athletes controversies and asterisks only get further magnified after they retire
Sometimes. But I find it's often the other way around.
Some asterisks are forgotten in time. (by the majority of fans)
Especially if you reach legendary status.
Like with Anderson - most remember him for the best highlights in UFC history and forgive him for being in 3 of the worst UFC fights of all time.

Or GSP. Before his last fight I saw a lot of people a fight with Bisping wouldn't mean squat - as Ping was a weak MW who was cherry-picked. Many reminded us of how GSP lost to Hendricks and some argued he might not be able to stack up against the new generation of bigger WWs, and not the other top 5 MWs.
But many now list GSP's MW fight as one major reason he's their P4P GOAT.
(side note: Bisping's appreciation among fans also increased big time towards the end of his career)

For fighters with terrible decline, their declines are often just dismissed as irrelevant and everyone just focuses on their prime.

Last edited:
we've known this for a year, it is what it is. He wanted to fight Stipe, Stipe wanted to fight him, UFC was willing to make it and this is it.

Aspinall will be the real champ end of the year and the div will move on. Jones is already the GOAT, he doesnt need to fight Aspinall, sure we'd all love to see it but he doesnt need it to solidify his status.

Do I think he could be lured back if say Saudis went to UFC like lets do this in Saudi, we'll pay a crazy amount like we are doing in boxing and UFC gives Jones an offer he cant refuse yeah I think he'd take it but thats probably not gonna happen.

Endeavour will have to open the bank for either jones or stipe to fight Aspinall. If they paid them enough both would accept the fight

Exactly, next to a Conor a Jones vs Tom fight is probably best selling fight the UFC can put on. Jones been around long enough that he wants his cut of the pie to be increased if the UFC is going to be making bank. Though I could see the UFC giving Jones very little extra to fight Tom and Jones just walking away. UFC wins by Tom now being the best HW around and they can fire up the PR game around Tom being the baddest man on the planet machine. They make this fight happens and Jones wins and walks away there left with a bit of a mess.

I really, really hope you're right.

But Jones is one of the most elusive fighters out there. He's hard to land a power shot on.

DC cracked him a few good times in their fights, Jon has a good chin but he is hittable. I think Rumble would have found Jon’s chin if that fight had happened

Back